How can I merge 3 notebooks into one notebook and make that my default notebook for all incoming notes?

• Level 5*

In the Windows client:

Select Notebook 2

In the note list, select all notes.

Right click, Select "Copy to notebook..."

Select Notebook 1

Select Notebook 3

In the note list, select all notes.

Right click, Select "Copy to notebook..."

Select Notebook 1

Delete Notebook 2

Delete Notebook 3

@jay, Jeff laid it out perfectly for you. It can't be done quickly on any mobile device. If you don't want to move one note at a time to one consolidated notebook, you need to use a desktop client.

How can I merge 3 notebooks into one notebook and make that my default notebook? I am using an IPhone 5

If you right click on a notebook a dropdown menu will popup. Select properties and check the box (make this my default notebook) You will now see a gray arrow pointing to "your default noetbook."

Regards,

David in Wichita

• Level 5*

How can I merge 3 notebooks into one notebook and make that my default notebook? I am using an IPhone 5

As others have suggested, this is best done in one of the "desktop" clients, EN Win or EN Mac.

The normal definition of "merge" would mean to MOVE all of the Notes into one Notebook.

Therefore, you don't want to COPY the Notes as suggested above.  This would actually result in using more of your monthly upload allowance.

In EN Win and EN Mac, if you select all of the Notes in a Notebook, the Multi-Note dialog will appear in what is normally the Note contents pane.  Click on the "Move to Notebook" button and select the target Notebook that you want to be your "default" Notebook.  Repeat this for each Notebook that you want to merge.

I would do manual sync after you have processed each Notebook, and verify using the EN Web client at Evernote.com.

Of course, after you have finished making changes in EN Win/Mac, do a final sync, and then do a manual sync in EN iPhone.

Verify that all of your Notes have been moved to your target Notebook.

At this point, if you wish, you can delete the original Notebooks if they are empty and you no longer want to use them.

To set your default Notebook on your iPhone (or any iOS device), goto Evernote > Settings > General > Notebooks, and select the Notebook you want to be default.

• Level 5*

If you have a lot of notes, I would do an ENEX export of each notebook before I moved any of the notes.  Just in case.....  Sometimes volume causes issues.

• Level 5*

If you have a lot of notes, I would do an ENEX export of each notebook before I moved any of the notes.  Just in case.....  Sometimes volume causes issues.

Or a full backup (which in my case does a notebook-by-notebook ENEX export)....

Archived