Images dragged from a browser into Evernote are saved as .BMP instead of the original format — increasing note size 20-fold or more.

DesiQ

This seems to be a problem related to drag-dropping from Firefox.

1. Open Firefox and find an image.

2. Drag it straight into Evernote.

Is this a problem with Evernote or Firefox? Not only would users have less data to sync up and down, but Evernote would pay less for storage and bandwidth.

I know that using the Evernote plugin to clip the image does save it in the original format, but clipping takes 2-4 clicks, and drag-dropping onto my second monitor is simple and intuitive.

• Level 5*

Not sure what you're saying. I dragged a JPG from a folder on my computer into Evernote, and it stayed a JPG. I edited it in Paint, and annotated it in Skitch. Still a JPG.

Is there something special about what you are doing?

Yes — I should have written it out fully as web browser, not simply browsing the folders on your computer.

Drag an image from your web browser into Evernote. A forum avatar from this page, for example. They are actually .JPG format, but Evernote imports them as .BMP. As a .JPG, your avatar is 2.9 KB. As a BMP, it's almost 14 times larger.

• Level 5*

I'm getting some mixed results here with this. I've tried drag/drop from a web page, and copy/paste. I copied and pasted a jpg image, and it stayed a jpg. I dragged the same image and it became a png. The latter is a little weird, or at least I don't understand it. Still haven't seen any of them turn into BMPs, though.

Interesting, interesting. It looks like a Firefox-specific problem. When I drag a JPG from Chrome, it remains a JPG. Dragging the same JPG from Firefox turns it into a BMP. I've edited the OP to reflect this. This probably means that a fix is out of Evernote's scope, so I will just use Chrome for my future drag-dropping.

• 4 months later...

Archived