Evernote for Mac 6.0.6 Beta 1 Released

SoftwareMarcus

Idea

Today we released Evernote for Mac 6.0.6 Beta 1 which includes a lot of great fixes. The top areas we’ve been focused on are:

Search

• Fixed the search box so it remains on the Evernote window even at its narrowest.
  • Fixed a number of Asian character search issues. You will need to change the note so that it gets reindexed. The bug is in the indexing of the note so a reindexing is required to fix the issue. When we ship the official release we’ll force a total reindexing of all notes but we didn’t want to that for beta 1.
  • Fixed a number of advanced search problems.
  • Fixed some Spotlight search issues.

Attachments

• Completely overhauled attachments.
  • Improved the reliability of menu items so they don’t become grayed out when they shouldn’t and made the editing infrastructure more robust.

Top crashing issues

• Discovered that a number of crashes occurred when fonts became corrupted or were turned off. We now tell you if this is an issue before launching.
  • Fixed other top crashing issues.

We have also added some new features.

• Yosemite Share Extension - Share web pages or images to Evernote when using the Yosemite Share menu that appears in Safari and the Finder.
  • Presentation Mode Auto-Layout - Let Evernote help you break up long notes into multiple slides. Go to Presentation mode and select the feature from the Presentation toolbar on the right side.

Please be aware that there is one regression we know about where copying a link from Safari won’t automatically become a link when pasted into Evernote. To fix this just manually add the link via the Link > Add menu item. We’ll fix this before we ship the final release.

Thank you for helping us test 6.0.6 Beta 1. Let us know if you find any new issues. You can download Beta 1 from here.

26 replies to this idea

I feel badly that this has to be Evernote's problem at all. Apple has done such a terrible job making the new Photo storage paradigm so closed and the plugins for it are all poor (it's bassically demanding a rewrite of each product in plugin form in order to share a photo with it) as they lack so much of the richness of sharing a photo natively within that application. The huge gap is in OSX's File Selection Dialogue- the choose thingy that you use when opening a file from your application. When you to try access your photos in this way you obviously can't do anything because you're trying to do something to a database of photos. What is need is a plugin for the OSX File Selection Dialogue so that there isn't this wall when you hit "Photos" when you just want to attach a picture to an email. I am frankly amazed that the company that made the computer an elegant experience is enforcing such a monolithic "my way or the highway" approach to doing simple tasks. Simple things are becoming incredibly over engineered and the trend is not letting up.

I spent and lost countless hours trying to get around the issues. Evernote may be fine in a cross-platform environment. But I am a Mac user and now I have definitively switched to DEVONthink. Why? I am waiting for YEARS that I can easily link to emails. This is built into OSX and blocked by Evernote for whatever reason (business plan, maybe). I don't need and I really do not want to replicate all of my personal data with Evernotes servers. Local notebooks are limited and data islands - i cannot sync Mac and Macbook without going through the cloud. I am feeling confident about my decision. Now I can use all the opportunities that OSX offers and I am not limited to the  lowest common denominator of other ***** operating systems. DEVONthinks UI really deserves a facelift - but that is acceptable. And most of all I'm not locked into a jail where I have to pay monthly fees until the end of my life. Good bye Evernote.

Hi,

The new beta version still haven't solved the type response problem - if you want to type something into your note, it reacts quite slowly and words you are trying to write pop out after like 5 seconds.  Could you please help fix this?

BTW I am running the Mac OS Yosemite. Thanks!

Bug Report

When using the dropdown menu to create a new note, the options to create a note in a notebook other than the current notebook are greyed out. This seems to be happening in any view/filter combination.

Running Mac OS 10.10.1

This appears to be an issue when in full screen mode.  If you get out of full screen mode then the menu works.  6.0.6 is now locked down so we won't be able to fix it for 6.0.6 but thank you for reporting it and I'll put it at the top of our list for a future release.

Attachments

• Improved the reliability of menu items so they don’t become grayed out when they shouldn’t and made the editing infrastructure more robust.

Hi,

I could not find any improvements regarding attachments and I still experience the following problems:

• I still see the problem of a wrong context menu most of the time. In order to correct this I have to use the know workaround of dragging the attchment a little to the top until a green cross appears
  • Although I have set Evernote to show new attachments not as inline they are shown as inline and I have to use the same workaround to display them as attachment

Our fix is mostly around editing reliability.  There continue to be weird interaction issues with attachment menus and the ability for Evernote to retain attachment state.  We've been trying to narrow down exactly when this happens or doesn't happen.  It's currently intermittent.   We've tried exporting a note that is exhibiting the issue and importing it into another account and unfortunately the problem went away which implies that it's not related to the content of the note.  In any case, we know there are issues in this area and we're looking for ways to reproduce it so we can fix the issues.

Thanks for reporting this issue in the forum.

I have one major piece of feedback for the new share extension: if I am looking at the reader view in Safari, Evernote should use that in the clip rather than a mangled version of the full site. Currently, it seems that no matter what I do, Evernote saves the full HTML of the site rather than the simplified version shown in Safari's reader view.

The original view: https://www.dropbox.com/s/bpqctuwkmrba06d/Screen%20Shot%202015-01-26%20at%2010.23.04%20AM.png?dl=0

Evernote's mangled save: https://www.dropbox.com/s/cuye21iuivasbvz/Screen%20Shot%202015-01-26%20at%2010.22.55%20AM.png?dl=0

We are looking into this, thank you for the feedback!

Bug Report

When using the dropdown menu to create a new note, the options to create a note in a notebook other than the current notebook are greyed out. This seems to be happening in any view/filter combination.

Running Mac OS 10.10.1

Edit: included image

post-106991-0-37726900-1422313157_thumb.

I have one major piece of feedback for the new share extension: if I am looking at the reader view in Safari, Evernote should use that in the clip rather than a mangled version of the full site. Currently, it seems that no matter what I do, Evernote saves the full HTML of the site rather than the simplified version shown in Safari's reader view.

The original view: https://www.dropbox.com/s/bpqctuwkmrba06d/Screen%20Shot%202015-01-26%20at%2010.23.04%20AM.png?dl=0

Evernote's mangled save: https://www.dropbox.com/s/cuye21iuivasbvz/Screen%20Shot%202015-01-26%20at%2010.22.55%20AM.png?dl=0

• Level 5

Attachments

Hi,

I could not find any improvements regarding attachments and I still experience the following problems:

• I still see the problem of a wrong context menu most of the time. In order to correct this I have to use the know workaround of dragging the attchment a little to the top until a green cross appears
  • Although I have set Evernote to show new attachments not as inline they are shown as inline and I have to use the same workaround to display them as attachment

• I like that there's a system share extension provided.
    • It doesn't show up in Finder or Quick Look for me. I made sure I'd selected a PDF, which I assume is reasonably shareable to Evernote, but no dice. It does appear in Safari, however.

Unfortunately at this point, it's images only. So please try with those and let us know your feedback! I hope we get the support for PDF in also soon. I know this is something user would expect.

Hi, what about issues with Applescript ?

Because of this problem, I'm considering giving up Evernote (I'm a premium user).

I started with version 3 or 4, your app was just smooth. Now it's just a pain using it normally.

Last bug in 6.0.4 : Searching in notes doesn't work anymore.

I don't even want to upgrade to 6.0.5 when I see all the new issues.

Noticed a new issue: Pasting URLs from Alfred's clipboard history doesn't automatically convert it to a hyperlink. Previously it would.

To reproduce:

1. Copy a URL from the Chrome location bar
  2. Paste into a new note (this will automatically hyperlink)
  3. Open Alfred's clipboard history window
  4. Select the same link to paste (this will not automatically hyperlink)

Could it be that the initial copy from Chrome is rich text while the paste from Alfred is plain text?

• I like that there's a system share extension provided.
    • It doesn't show up in Finder or Quick Look for me. I made sure I'd selected a PDF, which I assume is reasonably shareable to Evernote, but no dice. It does appear in Safari, however.

​Other misc. stuff:

• There's still Lucida Grande sprinkled around the app. Why not just specify the system font for everything, instead of specifying Helvetica Neue and Lucida Grande individually? By doing so, too, you miss out on the system optimized version of Helvetica Neue.
  • When you're in a notebook, there used to be an "All Notes" button at the top left. The "Clear" button still appears when you've filtered a notebook, but I found "All Notes" a really useful shortcut.
  • I'm gonna say this again: I'd love to see other URL schemes supported. Evernote just allowed file:/// links, in addition to http://, so it seems even more arbitrary that, say, message:// and papers:// are disallowed. (It's Evernote's own URL scheme that got me started on this linking thing. Don't leave me hanging!)
  • While I'm at it: it'd be really great to have "Copy Classic Note Link" in the menu, so that I could assign a keyboard shortcut to it via System Preferences. As it is, I did it myself using Automator and AppleScript, so I guess this is a lower priority. Seems odd, though, that it's been deprecated and renamed thus right around when the iOS app gained a "Copy Private Note Link" option.

As always, keep up the good work.

Question - Why is presentation mode still terrible when you have a table in your note.  It does not display correctly in presentation mode nor if you share the note.  Contrary the the presentation mode features Phil showed at the most recent EN conf, it does not behave like that.  Very annoying, to me if nobody else.

Can you provide a bit more information of what you expect as 'display correctly' and how does it show. Please provide some screenshots to indicate the issues. We've changed the styling of the tables since what presented in EC4 but the behavior should be the same. So please, provide some details so I can define whether this is a bug or a different usage of table

Thanks!

Question - Why is presentation mode still terrible when you have a table in your note.  It does not display correctly in presentation mode nor if you share the note.  Contrary the the presentation mode features Phil showed at the most recent EN conf, it does not behave like that.  Very annoying, to me if nobody else.

Possible Issue / Bug - When you are in expanded card view and you have shortcuts clicking on them brings up the notes - OK.  What if the link / shortcut is only to one note....?  Nothing happens.  Why wouldn't it display the one note in the expanded card view?  You have to double click the link to get the note to open.. Not ideal in my opinion?

• Level 5*

Here is a small suggestion, maybe you can make the icons for attached files wider - so you can read longer filenames? Here's a mockup

I agree with the intent of your suggestion:  make the entire filename of the attachment directly visible.

But rather than making fixed-width, wider icon (which may not always be needed), perhaps an alternate design would be to wordwrap the filename.

I would not like the attachment icon to be too wide, since I often have several attachments I would prefer to be on the same line.

Marcus - can you tell us what "Completely overhauled attachments" means? Is there new functionality? New behaviour?

In regards to attachments, there's no new functionality.  It's just an area of the product that was showing its age and where a number of odd bugs were cropping up so we rewrote it.  With this type of big change there is always a possibility we introduce issues as we fix things.  We've been using it internally since last week and it appears to be working pretty well.  However we did find a crashing issue today where double clicking on an attachment of an unsupported format will crash the app.  

In regards to the Share Extension, the web clipper still provides a lot more control as to how you convert the web page to Evernote but the Yosemite Share Extension will be automatically installed for all users so more people will be able to get this type of functionality without having to download anything else.  However we still recommend downloading the web clipper.

• Level 5*

Marcus - can you tell us what "Completely overhauled attachments" means? Is there new functionality? New behaviour?

Share in Safari is nice - seems to save immediately to Evernote rather than having to go to the cloud first like the Clipper.

Archived