New to EverNote Need some basic help. - Wasted many subscriptions with my old phones.

ENotesUFx03

Hello,

I am very new to evernote. I have had few mobiles which gave me a years subscription but never tried..

Planning to give this tool a try..

I have few basic requirements, can evernote do this ?

1. I want to create reminders for things..

Example:

a. Pickup kid from school @ 4:00 PM from Monday to Friday..

(I need a reminder on my mobile via a ringtone. at 3:55 PM)

b. Goto Gym on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.

(I need a reminder on my mobile via a ringtone/sound at 6:30 PM)

2. Create tasks + reminders

Example:

a. Go out for picnic on every Sunday.

(need a reminder for this on Saturday evening around 8 PM and again a reminder on Sunday around 10 PM via ringtone on my mobile and via desktop app on Windows).

3. Create tasks

a. To be able to create tasks and assign them various priorities.

4. Create Notes - text based and voice based. Set priorities for same and assign to my colleagues.

My Prime requirement is an advanced task manager (which also supports reminders/alarms), and a Note Manager (with text and voice support). I am able to do same with my Note 3 mobile but various other applications..

Looking to integrate everything into 1, with web + desktop + mobile integration in 1 place.

Please help with this few basics, as I am unable to understand how to use this software.

Looking forward to explore more for few days.

If I am happy, I will look forward for a business edition (including my senior team members).. with some advanced work we have.

Regards,

• Level 5*

Although I really like and use Evernote a lot, IMO, it would NOT be a good tool to use to meet your four listed requirements.

Although EN has a few features (like checkboxes and reminders) related to task management, it is clearly NOT an "advanced task manager".

EN is primarily a Personal Information Manager (PIM), and I think it does an excellent job of this.  It does a great job of creating Notes manually by typing, recording audio, taking snapshots and by pulling from other sources like email and web clipping, as well as supporting attachments of all types.  It allows almost unlimited tagging.  Its search engine is very good, but does not support fully Boolean searches.  

EN has only one entity for entering/recording information:  Notes.  There is no such thing as a "task"  or "project" in Evernote.

You can assign tags like "task" to a Note, but that does give it any special properties.

Although you can share Notes and Notebooks, there is no provision for assigning tasks (or tracking tasks) to others.

The things you want to do in your #1 and #2 are much better done in systems like MS Outlook, where you can create Calendar items and Task items with real Due dates, and with Reminders that occur before the Due date.

If you want to assign and track Tasks to others, then you would be much better served by real task managers.  There are many available today that work cross-platform, online, and with mobile devices.  Many of these also allow/support entry of Notes.  Just do a Google on "task management".

Good luck.  I hope you find what you are looking for.

With a lot of forethought and brain wracking one can set up a decent task management system in Evernote... BUT... Evernote does not have repeat reminders, which according to your list of requirements, would disqualify it on multiple counts.

Can EverNote handle this requirement ?

4. Create Notes - text based and voice based. Set priorities for same and assign to my colleagues.

A best solution for notes in multiple ways, will be added advantage.

Notes, with due dates and small reminders (not complex simple though).

Example:

I came across any article on web.. and will make a note using evernote.. catch screenshot of page/url etc.

And will setup same to remind me after a week on specific time.. to check the same.

Q:

While making voice based notes.. (which i generally do).. can i only sync those voice notes to online account when i require (or when i get connected to wifi)..

There are lots n lots of voice notes., I keep doing.

• Level 5*

No, Evernote does not have a Workflow engine. You could put together a hack based on tags, but I'd suggest you'd be better off using a tool that was designed for the task.

Can EverNote handle this requirement ?

Example:

I came across any article on web.. and will make a note using evernote.. catch screenshot of page/url etc.

And will setup same to remind me after a week on specific time.. to check the same.

Yes... you can use the Evernote web clipper extension to either clip a web page, a simplified article thereof, a selection of text, a screenshot or even just the URL... and at the time of clipping, while still in your browser, set a reminder date in the web clipper dialog box. This will alert you within your Evernote clients... as well as send you an email summary the day of the alert (if you set it up). 

Archived