Subscript and Superscript in notes

I have Evernote installed both on my PC to take notes on the side and on my smartphone to have quick access to them. I am beginning to use it for course notes too.

A problem I have encountered is that the text formatting options do NOT include subscript and superscript which makes it cumbersome for taking engineering or mathematical notes.

Scientific notation editor would be wonderful addition to the Evernote program. It's not convienient, it's crucial.

Until then the only solution I have is keeping a note titled "Mathematic Equation & Notation Database" with respective tags so I can access them as quickly as possible when needed. I write them out with a notation editor online or in Microsoft Office and then paste them into that note so I can "quickly" copy and paste the desired formating text I need.

ax2+bx+c=0  can quickly become other things by copy and pasting then placing the cursor after the exponent, backspace and writing in any power you need. Best solution as of this moment.

It's not just inconvienient, it's disruptive. This feature must be included. Evernote is crucial to my school experience, I am taking 13 credit hours this semester. Full time student. In an hour I will have completed my first week of school and other than my summarizing of my biology chapter notes I have used Evernote for everything in class and out. Scientific notation needs to be included in the formating options. Know what's funny? I'm looking at the formatting options here on the Evernote designed website for forums and they give you nice clear organized formatting tools that INCLUDES superscript and subscript. I really need these options in the computer program. The worst part? I can't contact Evernote without paying for premium services. Tell me how that's fair

• Level 5*

Yes, subscript and superscript support in the Windows client editor would be nice. However...

Know what's funny? I'm looking at the formatting options here on the Evernote designed website for forums and they give you nice clear organized formatting tools that INCLUDES superscript and subscript.

The forums are a third-party application, not designed or implemented by Evernote.

I can't contact Evernote without paying for premium services. Tell me how that's fair

You're already contacting Evernote in a way. They do read all posts in the forum, though they may not reply to all. Support costs a lot of money. They've chosen to limit their explicit customer support to paying customers, except in certain cases (billing problems, service access, etc.) Paying for premium allows Evernote to keep on developing software and the backing web services that all users use, as well as to pay for customer service. That how it's fair.

I was quite disturbed to noticed that subscript and superscript formatting is already supported in the Mac client.  Where's the support for the Windows client?  I need subscript and superscript support for taking notes my math and computer science classes.  Most people in these fields, at least from my personal observation in classes and such, use windows computers.  You're missing a huge demographic here!  This should be an urgent feature!

• 2 weeks later...

I have been a paid premium subscriber for years... but it is a lack of a roadmap/ETA and a lack of CRUCIAL note-taking features in the native Windows and Android clients (mostly all the missing features in the Windows client, but a lack of presentation feature in Android is a big one also) that ARE provided to Mac and iOS users, and have been for a LONG TIME, without any equivalent for me on my platforms... this is pretty much gotten me looking for a different paid service for me to migrate all my notes (and monthly subscription fees) to.  In the meantime, I'm moving back toward using OneNote again, since I get it for free with Office, and because it has a lot of the features I've been waiting for going on a DECADE for Evernote to implement.  

It doesn't matter whether or not you are a longtime paying customer, or whether you use the free service - as they've outright stated in interviews online, they aren't designing for us, they're designing for THEMSELVES.

• 1 year later...

I've been using Evernote for more than 4 years and premium for more than 2. This is starting to become a deal-breaker for me.  As Bradley Miller says, superscript and subscript are even available as formatting options in this very forum, but still not in Evernote for windows!  This issue has been around for a very long time. I guess it's time to start looking into OneNote and others.

• Level 5*

Nice that the ability to do superscript and subscripts is available. However, the only way I can see them on screen is to do a print preview. I need the on-screen view more than I need the toolbar menu as I tend to use the shortcuts more than the menus in Word, for example. But that's just the way I use the app, and your use may differ!

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, FactMan said:

However, the only way I can see them on screen is to do a print preview.

I see them just fine in the note viewer, no print preview required.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
On 10/17/2016 at 6:03 AM, gazumped said:

Just tried this in my 6.3.3 and got both super- and sub-script without a problem in normal note view.  What device do you have,  and what version of Evernote?

Sorry, have been very busy and only just got back to this topic. I have Windows 10 Professional Version 1607, build 14393.351 with all the latest updates running on a Lenovo B50-30 (64-bit) with 8.00 GB. It has a touch screen (although I rarely use that). Because I can see the superscripts (and probably the subscripts) in print preview mode, I suspect that it may be some setting with the touch screen or the drivers, although updating the drivers did not have an effect. Using the latest version of Evernote (6.4.2.3788).

Archived