Creating Local Notebooks in the Windows Desktop version

grhmplmr

I notice this was a topic some months ago but as a recent convert to Evernote I was trying to figure out how to create local notebooks

It still only seems possible to create them by clicking File/New Notebook/New Local Notebook

Clicking + New Notebook or right clicking and, for example, clicking Create Notebook in '"Stack Name" .. .' Does not give you the option of choosing Local or not

So I have to create the Local Notebook and then drag it into the (already existing)  stack I want it in.

Is this going to be fixed at some point - I am using 5.8.1.6061

Thanks

Graham

• Level 5*

Good question.  If memory serves me, I think it was possible in the past to select local or not when creating a notebook from the left panel.  But since I don't have nor create many notebooks I hadn't noticed the change.  Don't know when that capability went away.

To be clear though, stacks aren't local or synced.  They are just groupings of notebooks.  My two stacks are organized by synced and local, but that is purely preference.

• Level 5*

To be clear though, stacks aren't local or synced.  They are just groupings of notebooks.  My two stacks are organized by synced and local, but that is purely preference.

Based on EN Mac and EN iOS, it appears that the Stack is sync'd IF it contains a sync'd Notebook.  If the Stack contains only Local Notebooks, then it is NOT sync'd.

• Level 5*

My point for the OP was a heads up that stacks don't sync, only the synced notebooks within a stack do.  Said otherwise, the stack is an organizational tool, nothing to do with sync.  

Hence I put all my synced notebooks in one stack so as not to get confused, ever since EN took away the pretty colored icons which let me see notebook status visually.

• Level 5*

But, just like Tags, Stacks *do* sync IF they contain sync'd Notebooks.

IOW, the Stack *will* appear on other devices, and the NBs it contains appear within the Stack.

My point for the OP was a heads up that stacks don't sync, only the synced notebooks within a stack do.  Said otherwise, the stack is an organizational tool, nothing to do with sync. 

• Level 5*

IOW, the Stack *will* appear on other devices, and the NBs it contains appear within the Stack.

Check, but I have been referencing that the syncing of notebooks is independent of the stack it is in not the fact that a stack name containing synced notebooks appears on multiple platforms. Or at least trying to.

• Level 5*

@csihilling:  You said "My point for the OP was a heads up that stacks don't sync"

This is incorrect, and may mislead other readers.

Once again, Stacks *do* sync if they contain at least one sync'd Notebook.

I don't understand why you continue to debate this fact.

Check, but I have been referencing that the syncing of notebooks is independent of the stack it is in not the fact that a stack name containing synced notebooks appears on multiple platforms. Or at least trying to.

Based on EN Mac and EN iOS, it appears that the Stack is sync'd IF it contains a sync'd Notebook.  If the Stack contains only Local Notebooks, then it is NOT sync'd.

• Level 5*

Stack names sync if the stack contains synced notebooks. The entire contents of such stacks don't necessarily sync. I view stacks as their contents, not their name. So I stand by the statement. Don't expect all of the notebooks in a stack to sync. Pretty much what post 2 says. Out.

• Level 5*

Stack names sync if the stack contains synced notebooks. 

. . .

Pretty much what post 2 says. Out.

I think that is exactly what I stated.  However, that is NOT what your statement in post #2 implied.

You said "To be clear though, stacks aren't local or synced."  That statement is misleading and incorrect.

So, in fact, we are in agreement:   Stacks *do* sync IF they contain sync'd Notebooks.

And, if the Stacks sync, then there is no reason to believe that the sync'd Notebooks won't also sync.

From a logical POV, if the Stack contains "sync'd Notebooks", then BOTH the Stack and the "sync'd Notebooks" it contains will be sync'd if/when the user syncs the account.

• Level 5*

Nice partial quote.

Nope. Stack names and notebooks may sync, stacks don't. If a stack is a compendium of notebooks some of which are local, part of the stack doesn't sync, so saying the stack syncs could be viewed as misleading. Back to post 2. Hopefully I know what I was implying and as far as I can tell I have over stepped repetition at this point. Over and out.

• Level 5*

I think it is clear to most that Local Notebooks don't sync.  That is by design.

But Stacks *do* sync, including the Stack Name and it's Notebooks, for the Sync'd Notebooks that it contains.

The point being that the user does NOT have to recreate a Stack on other devices if the Stack contains Sync'd Notebooks.

Nice partial quote.

Nope. Stack names and notebooks may sync, stacks don't. If a stack is a compendium of notebooks some of which are local, part of the stack doesn't sync, so saying the stack syncs could be viewed as misleading. Back to post 2. Hopefully I know what I was implying and as far as I can tell I have over stepped repetition at this point. Over and out.

Archived