New user having problems with import folders

devinf

Hello, I am running Windows 7 64bit and I am just getting started with Evernote and going paperless.  I am trying to setup an import folder on Evernote.  My main harddrive (C:) is a 240gb ssd but I am scanning all my docements to a second hard disk (E:) which is a 2TB drive I use to store all my pictures, documents, etc.  (E:) Drive is not a network drive, just a second drive I have installed on the computer.  Now the problem is whenever I try to point the import folders path in Evernote to my "Scan To" folder on (E:) Drive, Evernote switches the path back to (C:) Drive with the rest of the path the same as soon as I close the window.  Does this have something to do where evernote is installed because it is installed on (C:) Drive?

Thanks,

Devin

• Level 5*

Hi.  I have seen something, somewhere to the effect that Evernote Import Folders won't work from networked drives.  As it's a 'watched' folder,  maybe its something to do with the notification back to EN that a file has arrived or changed.  Any reason why you can't set your folder up on C:\ ?  It's used for temporary storage only if you set your folder to delete new files after import.  Or you could use a file manager like Bevedere - http://lifehacker.com/341950/belvedere-automates-your-self-cleaning-pc - to spot files in your external storage and copy/ move them to the EN Import Folder on C:\

Thank You for responding, Neither of these are networked drives.  Just simply 2 harddrives on my computer.   My work flow if you will goes like this, Everything I scan is going into Scan Snap Organizer which is free software that came with the fujitsu scanner.  Some of those documents I want in Evernote and some I do not such as bank statement etc,  So for the documents I want in Evernote my thought was to setup import folders to automatically import the documents I do want directly out of the Scan Snap Oraganizer folders that contain the documents.  So I am not deleting them after they are uploaded to Evernote, Which is also why they are being stored on my secondary storage drive rather than my main drive which is an ssd and limited on space. I cant find anything about not being able to use import folders on a secondary drive so I thought maybe it was a setting or something I had done to mess it up.

Thank You again,

Devin

• Level 5*

I don't know...  it works for me.  I just went to Tools - Import Folders - Add and created an import folder on my E drive, a .5 TB USB.  I then dropped a file into that folder and it appeared in the EN notebook as it should.  Picture of Import Folders attached.

post-58142-0-15108000-1421102273_thumb.p

• Level 5*

The other problem I've found with import folders is that when you scan,  the ScanSnap opens a temporary file,  scans for a few seconds,  then closes the file down on completion.  When Evernote watches a folder,  as soon as that first temporary file is opened,  it attempts a capture.  Evernote can't open the file because the Scansnap has it locked,  so it gives up.  In your workflow it might be better to do the scanning,  then move the closed files into a different import folder - or use Belvedere as above.

• Level 5*

On my ScanSnap the only time I have to save to a secondary folder if is I want each page as a separate file.  I scan receipts in a stack this way, separating each, and then drag to the import folder.  Everything else I scan to a single output file works fine for me with EN, no temp file issues.  I did create custom profiles for each of these.  FWIW.

I'll take a look at belvedere that may be my only option at this point. Chilli do you have a premium membership? That is one thing I thought of here a minute ago that might be different. I'm still running the free version of evernote.

Thanks again guys,

Devin

• Level 5*

I use import folders on my work account, which is a free version. Just used it this morning and it worked fine. It's not a premium/freemium thingy.

I would try to isolate on whether this is a scanner-related problem or a problem with the import folder in general by just copying a normal file (e.g., a .doc or image file) to that folder and seeing if it imports.

I don't think its a scanner related problem as I have been able to scan to any folder or drive I choose, I just can't get evernote to accept an import folder with a drive path to E: on my computer for some reason.  I'm in the process of setting up belvedere right now so far it looks like it is going to work, but its just one more program to run in the background of an already full gamet.  I bought a months worth of Premium and your right it didn't help, I needed the extra upload capacity this month anyway so its not that big of a deal I just hadn't done it yet.

Thanks,

Devin

Archived