Scans are being labeled incorrectly

BasieBand

I use Levenger note cards that have my name and contact information. When I scan these cards, Scannable assumes this is a new business card and tries to create a new contact. Is there a way to specify that the scan is not a business card but should be treated as a simple document?

We're working on this, realize that sometimes you may want to 'un-businesscard' something. Would love if you could post an image of what's getting misclassified, as that helps us also improve the classification engine.

I'm trying to scan all my grandmother's old recipes, mostly written on 3"x5" index cards, and the Scannable app thinks nearly all of these are business cards. Even hand-written recipes will often be classified as business cards, and more often than not, the Scannable app will flip the cards upside down for some reason and not allow rotating right-side-up again. It's INFURIATING - my recipe notebook is going to be loaded with "contacts" who have names like "1 cu flour". There REALLY needs to be a way to un-business-card a scan. Also, a toggle in Scannable to never identify scans as business cards would be nice - I hardly ever encounter business cards, and I don't need this meddlesome feature at all.

I have found that if a small item (like a credit card receipt) contains an address, Scannable seems to assume it is a business card and treat it accordingly. There sems to be no way to override this. This is very irritating. Anyone else have this problem? Any workarounds?

Hi canadrian, 

Sorry you're having this experience. Would you be able to share some (non-Scannable) photos of your grandmother's recipe cards?

We'd like to get this fixed and any actual examples will help us get it fixed more definitively. 

Thanks, everyone.  We're working on a fix for this issue, but it's turning out to be a little more difficult than we thought. We did, however, come up with a workaround in the meantime.  Scannable only does OCRs on business cards when you're signed into Evernote.  If you scan a document (like a receipt or recipe) that is incorrectly identified as a business card, you can delete the scan (just swipe up in the tray for a quick delete), sign out of Evernote, and continue scanning.  When you're finished, click the Save to Evernote button and log back in and the scan will be saved as document instead of a business card.

We realize this is cumbersome and apologize for the inconvenience!

P.J.

• 3 weeks later...

I ran into the same issue, but I think I found a better workaround that allows you to remain logged in to Evernote:

1) In Scannable settings, turn off "Always Save to Evernote".

2) Scan the recipe card and approve by clicking the check mark as usual.

3) Hit the Send icon, then choose More > Evernote.  (If the Evernote icon does not show up, scroll the list of icons to the right and click "More" to turn it on in Activities.)

4) In the pop-up, enter the note name, choose the appropriate notebook and Save.

Hope this helps...

• 1 month later...

Thanks, everyone.  We're working on a fix for this issue, but it's turning out to be a little more difficult than we thought. We did, however, come up with a workaround in the meantime.  Scannable only does OCRs on business cards when you're signed into Evernote.  If you scan a document (like a receipt or recipe) that is incorrectly identified as a business card, you can delete the scan (just swipe up in the tray for a quick delete), sign out of Evernote, and continue scanning.  When you're finished, click the Save to Evernote button and log back in and the scan will be saved as document instead of a business card.

We realize this is cumbersome and apologize for the inconvenience!

P.J.

Hi @PeeJayTee Is this fix available yet?

Archived