Scannable is crashing

kayhanbelek

On my iPhone 6 Plus and iPad Air 2, both running iOS 8.1.2, this app does not crash. If you have not already tried rebooting your iOS device please do so. Also, a uninstall and reinstall followed with a reboot should solve your issue.

Still, TurboScan is a good product as is Genius Scan.

Cordially,

• Ex Employees

Scannable keeps crashing with every use - screen goes blank, then the program closes. Back to TurboScan

Rebooting the device seems to be working for some people.

If that doesn't resolve the issue, can you let us know what version and OS you are running?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

I feel like I'm Sherlock Holmes working on this one. When we think we've got a lead on the issue, it turns out to go nowhere. Unfortunately, because of the nature of the crash not producing any crash logs, its  impossible to trace.

Want to help?  Scannable crashing on your phone 6+? I have some questions:

1. After it crashes, does the iOS Camera.app also crash if you try to launch it and take a picture?
  2. Do you game a lot on your phone? Do you use any image editing apps? Or anything 'graphics-heavy'?
  3. Does your phone have much storage left on it?
  4. If you reboot your phone, does Scannable now work? Is is this a permanent fix for you?
  5. Anything else come to mind that might make your iPhone special?

I really appreciate all your help and patience with this issue.

Hi,

Read my answers below

After it crashes, does the iOS Camera.app also crash if you try to launch it and take a picture?

The iOS Camera app is working properly after crash

Do you game a lot on your phone?

Yes, frequently

Do you use any image editing apps?

No

Or anything 'graphics-heavy'?

No

Does your phone have much storage left on it?

Yes, more than 40gb

If you reboot your phone, does Scannable now work? Is is this a permanent fix for you?

No it doesn't work. I ended all apps, reboot the phone, but app crashes again

Anything else come to mind that might make your iPhone special?

Not that i know of

Regards

Hi,

Read my answers below

After it crashes, does the iOS Camera.app also crash if you try to launch it and take a picture?

Yes, frequently

No

No

Yes, more than 40gb

If you reboot your phone, does Scannable now work? Is is this a permanent fix for you?

Not that i know of

Regards

Hi,

Read my answers below

Yes, frequently

No

No

Yes, more than 40gb

Not that i know of

Regards

I do have one idea to share with you all.  I am not an IT person nor a programmer, so bare with me.

My iPhone 6 iOS 8.1.3 is a 16GB.

I was running low on space.

I had photo stream on

To save space I turned photo stream off (as well as deleted my photos from Camera app - after sync with iPhoto)

I did not pay attention to the exact date of this change, but the scannable app constant crash started after this change.

I just turned on iCloud photo library (beta) today and will see if this makes a difference.

On a side note, I deleted the app and reinstalled (attempted to) but the app does not even want to install on my phone.

That is all I can share with you all and hope this helps.

FYI: I also have and iPad air 2, same OS, and experiencing the same problem.

I am also running Evernote Premium on my Mac, and have the apps sync together.

thanks

Scannable keeps crashing here at launch too : white screen loading then crash. Nothing else.

Scannable 1.0.1

iPhone 6

iOS 8.1.3

No app open

Hard rebooted

17.4 GB left

I have some document scanned in the queue waiting for save

Same here - the app does not start at all, just crashes right after clicking on the icon.

I wanted to start using it on my new iPhone 6, 64 GB, iOS 8.1.3

Restarting the phone did not help.

It is a fresh new install from AppStore directly.

Evernote itself works well as it usually does.

Cheers,

Petr

Hi,

Read my answers below

Yes, frequently

No

No

Yes, more than 40gb

Not that i know of

Regards

I do have one idea to share with you all.  I am not an IT person nor a programmer, so bare with me.

My iPhone 6 iOS 8.1.3 is a 16GB.

I was running low on space.

I had photo stream on

To save space I turned photo stream off (as well as deleted my photos from Camera app - after sync with iPhoto)

I did not pay attention to the exact date of this change, but the scannable app constant crash started after this change.

I just turned on iCloud photo library (beta) today and will see if this makes a difference.

On a side note, I deleted the app and reinstalled (attempted to) but the app does not even want to install on my phone.

That is all I can share with you all and hope this helps.

FYI: I also have and iPad air 2, same OS, and experiencing the same problem.

I am also running Evernote Premium on my Mac, and have the apps sync together.

thanks

I wanted to follow up and let you all know the following:

The crashing has stopped, here is what I did:

Deleted all scannable apps from all devices.

Rebooted (power off and home button - reset device)

Ensured that the app was completely removed when device was turned back on

Note: I also disabled iCloud Photo Streams and photo uploads to the cloud

Reinstalled the app

It works fine now, and I have left photo stream off.  I have not tested it with iPhoto stream to iCloud.

In my view this issue for me is closed for the time being.  But I will return here if there are problems down the road when I use iCloud photo streaming.

Can I ask everyone on this thread: What size phone (i.e., 128GB) are you using?

16GB, which I think may be part of the problem.  Once i turned off photo streaming, upload photos (AKA freed up space on my iPhone) deleted the apps, reboot/reset device, reinstall app; all seemed to be fine.  I would not recommend the 16GB iPhone to anyone...  go with the larger capacity and save yourself the headache...

• 2 weeks later...

Tried everything- closed running apps, deleted and loaded scannable multiple times, rebooted phone, online/offline, syncing/unsyncing accounts, etc.

The only action I've found that makes any difference is capturing the image with the 'manual' button as opposed to automatically. Went from crashing w/o saving after first scan every time- to getting multiple scans w/occasional crash. When scanning a multi page file- images are still saved if/when app crashes. Btw- using current ios8 version on 6+. May or may not be a fluke- but so far so good. Good luck.

• 1 month later...

1. After it crashes, does the iOS Camera.app also crash if you try to launch it and take a picture? NO

Do you game a lot on your phone? Do you use any image editing apps? Or anything 'graphics-heavy'? NO

Does your phone have much storage left on it? 59 GB REMAINING

If you reboot your phone, does Scannable now work? Is is this a permanent fix for you? NO, REBOOTING DID NOTHING.

Anything else come to mind that might make your iPhone special? NO

So here's something I'm trying and it's working so far... 

1. deleted both scannable and evernote.

2. reboot phone

3. reinstall evernote, BUT NOT SCANNABLE

Now it works in Evernote. I will have to use a different app for scanning docs that I don't want in Evernote until this is fixed. 

• 5 weeks later...

Scannable is freezing when attempting to use the share by Email function.  

To help klang with his bug search my specific action that was different this time was to change the Subject.

I have already deleted and reinstalled the App and the bug is still happening.

Please fix this, Scannable is by far the best document scanning app on the iPhone and beats other applications own built in imaging solutions by miles. For example - for Xero users. Using Scannable composites your documents better, allows you to edit the subject so better identifying incoming documents and using the share by email function doesnt clog up your phone with unnecessary images.

Many Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

My iphone 6+ with iOS 8.4 crashes when scannable snaps the picture. If I close all apps, restart, reopen scannable it will work for that session. When I try to re-use scannable at a later time after using other apps on the iphone...it crashes again. I am experiencing the same thing with evernote camera. Just for grins, I reinstalled Scanner Pro by Readle and it does the same thing. The camera app works fine on the iphone. 

This seems to have started when the new photos app was added to the apple ecosystem.

Can you offer any help, possible camera settings on the iphone, etc??? I need the app to work. I am very dependent now on evernote for my paperless world.

My iphone 6+ with iOS 8.4 crashes when scannable snaps the picture. If I close all apps, restart, reopen scannable it will work for that session. When I try to re-use scannable at a later time after using other apps on the iphone...it crashes again. I am experiencing the same thing with evernote camera. Just for grins, I reinstalled Scanner Pro by Readle and it does the same thing. The camera app works fine on the iphone. 

This seems to have started when the new photos app was added to the apple ecosystem.

Can you offer any help, possible camera settings on the iphone, etc??? I need the app to work. I am very dependent now on evernote for my paperless world.

I have Scannable 1.2.1 (741) running on an iPhone6+ with iOS 8.4. I have 63.7 Gb free on my 128Gb device. 

The app crashes 95% of the time after taking a picture in both "Auto" or "Manual" mode. 

This is exactly what happens:

1) I focus on an image.

2) The document is automatically framed (in auto mode) and captured. In manual mode I press the shutter to capture the image.

3) The image is captured and it shows up on screen for a brief moment.

4) The screen goes black for a 1/2 second or so.

5) The flash flashes (yes, after the picture was already taken and while the screen is black)

6) The app goes away and phone returns to the main screen.

If I reopen the app, the image that caused the crash was NOT saved. 

Interestingly if I set "Light" to "OFF", the app becomes much more stable and it crashes only 10% of the time.... however it still does crash.

Some more facts:

- I do not run games at all.

- The app crashes even immediately after a reboot of the phone. 

- I have no problems taking pictures with the normal camera app before or after a crash.

- I do not have iCloud Drive photo sync active.

• 3 weeks later...

Did you download it on iTunes from your pic or Mac ? Try deleting the app and download a fresh copy from the App Store directly.

Try rebooting the device first and see if it helps.

Had the same problem. Read your rebooting advice. After  removing scannable from my iPhone, rebooting my iPhone and loading scannable again, it works now as expected. Thanks for the advice

Archived