Control Which Image Shown in a Note's Thumbnail/Snippet View

marcelo

Idea

How hard would it be to implement the default to display the first image in a note as the thumbnail. Always

No user options to add.

Users can then just make sure the image they want is at the top (which is probably the image they want/expect to display most of the time) -- so they essentially get to choose which image displays.

Even if this isn't what users want in the long-run, is this not a best-case scenario in the meantime, instead of a strange algorithmic formula that users can't even work with?

Agreed.

• Like 1

OK guys

I'm up for posting a ticket, but how do you do it ? I can't find the ticketing "front end" ( I have created tickets - long ago - but via an email query!)

And Why whenever I get to this topic via a link in a reply email does it regard me as a new user and ABSOLUTELY REFUSES to let me login insisting I need to create a new Account.

Back to subject - does anyone think Evernote are going to really alter?? Clearly they do what they want and treat customers with disdain This thread is a classic example of their inability to accept that the customer IS ALWAYS RIGHT (even if they are not!) and that attitude means that sooner or later we will all go away or they will go bump!

OK guys

I'm up for posting a ticket, but how do you do it ? I can't find the ticketing "front end" ( I have created tickets - long ago - but via an email query!)

And Why whenever I get to this topic via a link in a reply email does it regard me as a new user and ABSOLUTELY REFUSES to let me login insisting I need to create a new Account.

Back to subject - does anyone think Evernote are going to really alter?? Clearly they do what they want and treat customers with disdain This thread is a classic example of their inability to accept that the customer IS ALWAYS RIGHT (even if they are not!) and that attitude means that sooner or later we will all go away or they will go bump!

To submit a ticket, log into your Evernote Web account<click on your name in the top right<and click Contact Support. 

Second, I believe in persistence and I don't believe that companies are composed of a collective Borg-like mind that is firm in its mindset. I believe that companies like Evernote are composed of individuals, one of whose attention we might grab on this matter. We are hoping this individual works this matter through the system. We aren't asking for a constitutional amendment- this is just an enhancement to an already well-loved system that many of us use on a daily basis. 

• Like 1

Also, this was the email that I received back from Evernote after I submitted a ticket. Either the directions are old or they didn't include directions for the Web version, but there is no 'help' in the Web version of Evernote, not even under the profile. 

"Thank you for contacting Evernote Support.

If you're experiencing a bug with Evernote, we'll need to collect some more information. Please reply to this email with:

- Step-by-step instructions for reproducing the issue
- An activity log

Obtaining an activity log from your device is the key to reporting a bug. To send a log, follow these steps:

For PC/Mac:
- In the Evernote menu, go to 'Help' > 'Activity Log', then click 'Save As' to save the log as a file on your computer. Attach the file in reply to this email.

For iOS:
- Tap your name (or the gear button), then tap 'Support' > 'Activity Log' > 'Mail'. Send the log to intl-support@evernote.com with the subject line 'Ticket# 1130007'. If you don't see the 'Mail' button, make sure you have an email account set up on your device.

For Android:
- Tap the three dots button, then tap 'Settings' > 'Support' > 'Send Activity Log' and choose an email program. Send the log to intl-support@evernote.com with the subject line 'Ticket# 1130007'.

The activity log contains a detailed log of steps that Evernote performs and is helpful for diagnosing the problem you may be experiencing. The activity log also contains information about your account, your device, and your location information (if enabled). The titles of your notes, tags, notebooks, attached files, and, if your account was having network syncing errors, some of your note content, may also be contained in the activity log. You may edit the log file to remove anything you do not want to send us. We treat activity log data as confidential information, and the terms of our [Privacy Policy] (http://evernote.com/privacy/) apply."

• Level 5*

To submit a ticket, log into your Evernote Web account<click on your name in the top right<and click Contact Support. 

Second, I believe in persistence and I don't believe that companies are composed of a collective Borg-like mind that is firm in its mindset. I believe that companies like Evernote are composed of individuals, one of whose attention we might grab on this matter. We are hoping this individual works this matter through the system. We aren't asking for a constitutional amendment- this is just an enhancement to an already well-loved system that many of us use on a daily basis. 

Unfortunately, some time ago Evernote restricted use of Support Tickets by Free Account user to ONLY to reports of bugs, crashes, or account issues.  

One relatively new avenue of contact with Evernote is Twitter.   I'm not very Twitter fluent, but maybe we could start a Twitter campaign requesting this feature.  Maybe something like this:

@evernotehelps I #request the option to #ChooseThumbnail for my Notes.  See https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/18482-choosing-a-thumbnail/

The forum software insists on abbreviating the link to this topic.  Maybe this will work:

If any of you more experienced in Twitter have a better way of stating this, please feel free to revise and amend my suggestion, and to provide better instructions on how to use Twitter for this for us Twitter newbies.

Since Evernote now is providing official support to all users via Twitter, we can submit requests on Twitter @evernotehelps.  It might also be good to include a link back to your post here.

Thank you! Your ticket has been escalated to our technical support team and you should receive another response via email shortly. 

Here's the reply from Evernote Support:

Thanks for contacting Evernote support. Thank you for your patience during this process. To clarify, I understand random thumbnail images are being associated with your notes.

Thumbnail images are created based on their size. Evernote chooses the "easiest" (usually smallest) images in the note to display in the thumbnail view. Evernote will automatically choose a random image if there are multiple images in the note. One way to prevent this is to delete these "random" images in the note.

Once the random images are deleted, the thumbnail may refresh once you click on a different note, then click back to view the note in question. This will "force" the Evernote server to recognize the images remaining in the note and will create a new thumbnail image.

... Seriously? That's the solution? Delete images, smallest first, until it randomly picks the right one? No thanks.

But the thing is THIS does NOT work. I've tried deleting on several notes on several instances. They have to be more specific here. Do they mean the web version, application or mobile? None of them have worked for me. Even if deleted, the note will still* keep the deleted image as a thumbnail. 

Leah,

I understand your frustration and please know that we really are here to help and want to get this working for you. Will you open up a support ticket via https://evernote.com/contact/support/ and let me know the number? I'll route it to our technical team members and they'll explain the steps and see what's going on from your end. 

Lolitta

Ticket #1130007

Thank you! Your support ticket has been escalated to a technical representative that will work with you directly.  

Also, this was the email that I received back from Evernote after I submitted a ticket. Either the directions are old or they didn't include directions for the Web version, but there is no 'help' in the Web version of Evernote, not even under the profile. 

"Thank you for contacting Evernote Support.

If you're experiencing a bug with Evernote, we'll need to collect some more information. Please reply to this email with:

- Step-by-step instructions for reproducing the issue

- An activity log

Obtaining an activity log from your device is the key to reporting a bug. To send a log, follow these steps:

For PC/Mac:

- In the Evernote menu, go to 'Help' > 'Activity Log', then click 'Save As' to save the log as a file on your computer. Attach the file in reply to this email.

For iOS:

- Tap your name (or the gear button), then tap 'Support' > 'Activity Log' > 'Mail'. Send the log to intl-support@evernote.com with the subject line 'Ticket# 1130007'. If you don't see the 'Mail' button, make sure you have an email account set up on your device.

For Android:

- Tap the three dots button, then tap 'Settings' > 'Support' > 'Send Activity Log' and choose an email program. Send the log to intl-support@evernote.com with the subject line 'Ticket# 1130007'.

The activity log contains a detailed log of steps that Evernote performs and is helpful for diagnosing the problem you may be experiencing. The activity log also contains information about your account, your device, and your location information (if enabled). The titles of your notes, tags, notebooks, attached files, and, if your account was having network syncing errors, some of your note content, may also be contained in the activity log. You may edit the log file to remove anything you do not want to send us. We treat activity log data as confidential information, and the terms of our [Privacy Policy] (http://evernote.com/privacy/) apply."

Thanks for bringing this up. To clarify, these instructions are for physical devices and not the web client. It's currently not possible to get an activity log from the web client. The technical representative that I've escalated your support ticket to will respond shortly. Appreciate your patience!

Hello EN Team,

I am interested in knowing if this feature of selecting image of your choice will ever be available and if it will, when will it be.

I have read over the pages but there are many answers so I am a little confuse.

Thanks for your time in answering.

Hello EN Team,

I am interested in knowing if this feature of selecting image of your choice will ever be available and if it will, when will it be.

I have read over the pages but there are many answers so I am a little confuse.

Thanks for your time in answering.

It is a good question and one that has been evaded many times by support and techs handling our tickets. If you read in this forum, one of the techs responded that they were working on it a few years ago. However, since then, we keep receiving the message to 'put in a ticket'. So, that is the strategy we are following now. There is apparently an algorithm, as you have read, that appears to work for some people but not for others. I have a ticket in now because the algorithm does NOT work for me on the Web version, in every major browser, on PC and Mac. I have a ticket in and the tech team was going to take a look at my account specifically. However, this is a bandaid on the original issue. If evernote just gave us the option to choose a thumbnail, I don't think an 'algorithm' or 'algorithm troubleshooting' would be needed. Right?

I've already Liked and/or responded with very brief agreement to / elaboration on a couple of previous posts to this topic.

Now, I have a few observations to add.  I hope they represent (at least mostly) new/augmented info that is both relevant to this topic and will refine -- at least a bit -- the understanding of the parameters of EN's current behavior in connection with it.  I have copied the entire contents of this topic from my browser to (you guessed it) an EN note, and performed a few text-within-Note searches for obvious precedents.  Naturally, one of the positive byproducts of a future and effective response by EN (the company) to this concern would be avoiding the need to review (what is now) over 260k characters in over 47k words across 16 pages comprising 300+ discrete posts to see what specific info pertaining to this topic has already been discussed.  I apologize in advance for any inadvertent repetition that any forum browsers find counterproductive.

For EN note contexts (e.g., subjects, authors/promulgators,...) where I've decided that the value of visual identifiers via EN thumbnails warrants finding/scaling/cropping relevant images (e.g., EN icon/logo), I've recently developed a standardized approach based on a 300x300 pixel size and confinement of key image content to a central horizontal range.  I add such visually-identifying thumbnails to the beginnings of applicable notes as a de facto visual note header.  I adopted these practices after seeing how many pixels EN devoted to thumbnail display within (Windows) desktop, Web, and iOS apps, based on my hardware and configurations...and on how EN seemed to alter thumbnail display behavior based on the aspect ratio of the image within the note it selects as a thumbnail and on the nature of the other contents of the subject notes.  (At this time, I don't intend to elaborate further -- I don't want to spend more time and lengthen this post even further without good reason.)  It appears to me that I experience no EN thumbnail display context where pixel dimensions exceeding 300 could provide value in terms of additional visual information actually displayed in the thumbnail.  Furthermore, I'm unwilling to expand thumbnail-candidate image dimensions to pixel counts potentially orders of magnitude beyond their maximum thumbnail display size simply to contort even further my workflow to EN's thumbnail selection limitations.  I don't believe such additional image expansion would be in the interests of EN and its users either, since it would consume further space on EN's servers with data that represent "empty calories" useful only to compensate for EN's thumbnail-selection shortcomings.  Based on my current note contents and note-creation patterns, EN desktop selects such inserted images as the thumbnail most of the time -- often enough for this practice to be worthwhile for me based on EN's current shortcomings in this department.

FYI, my current iOS hardware consists of an iPhone 6 Plus and iPad Air 2.  I tend to use "Snippet" view across all platforms.

1) My first observation seems to relate to a post from "icebox" on 09 Dec 2014 - 01:15 AM.  I will start by discussing it in the context of the EN desktop app running on Windows.  My recent EN usage patterns have included a subset of Web content selections for copying into EN that included extensive avatar imagery.  In my case, such selections have more often resulted in a thumbnail display of an actual photo rather than the "'unknown' face" icebox refers to, but I believe the principle is the same.  EN selects a thumbnail that has no relationship to the previously-discussed "largest smallest" algorithm in the context of the size of the images as displayed on the browser's native Web page view or in the corresponding content within an EN note.  I'm not a programmer, but I'll speculate on what the EN program is doing -- perhaps it is evaluating image size based on underlying code (HTML? XML?) that (at least in some cases) reflects something other than the actual display size of the images on the source Web page and EN note body...or, in icebox's case, whether the image is displayed at all in the EN note body.  Perhaps the source info EN responds to in connection with thumbnail selection is "original" image size as coded in the subject Web page or the linked URL, rather than to display size within the context relevant to the EN user.

When images representing photos of actual people are involved, this behavior by EN does more than obscure relevant visual identifying info; it results in the "misleading" that "JMichael" refers to in his/her post from 10 June 2014 - 01:41 AM.  I'm confident that many of us are faced with the decision of whether or to what extent to invest time and energy to re-conform at least some of our notes -- and perhaps also sacrifice some secondary goals for their content -- in order to try to compel EN to perform the thumbnail selection we desire.  For me, preliminary visual cues to note content/context are important, so I'm one of those people.  In my experience with pages such as those that cause this problem, there can be compelling reasons to retain the images, related links, and/or surrounding content (relying on the avatars for visual context) that causes inappropriate behavior by EN's thumbnail selection algorithm.  My approach with such cases thus far has generally been to see if EN will select -- as the thumbnail -- the image I inserted that conforms to my current, aforementioned "note header" standard.  If not, I'm usually not willing to waste my time trying to minimize collateral damage by systematically but "blindly" deleting secondary avatar images one-by-one in hopes that EN will eventually choose a thumbnail that doesn't constitute patently misleading information.  (Such an approach would appear to be comparable to what "Evernote Support" recommended a user apply as documented in the post string attributed to "Lawlitta", "Evernote Employee", "Posted 25 June 2015 - 09:40 AM".)  Instead, I'll either tolerate the misleading thumbnail or wipe out all the secondary avatar images in one fell swoop.

2) EN's thumbnail-selection shortcomings further confound my productivity due to the inconsistency I've observed in their application (or at least resultant behavior) across platforms.  For the types of content I introduced in "1)', above, I've observed multiple instances where my addition of an image conforming to my aforementioned "note header" standard has caused EN desktop to choose it as a thumbnail, while the same note -- synced to my iOS devices -- has continued to select a misleading image that should not "trump" my header image based on EN's purported algorithm.  As I mentioned above, I'm not a programmer; I don't know to what extent this behavior relates to programming code differences between the versions of EN I have installed on different platforms, and to what extent it relates to some difference in the way the note data itself is constituted on each of these different platforms.  Either way, it exacerbates the negative impact of EN's thumbnail-selection shortcomings on my EN experience.  Strangely, in these particular instances, I've observed the (inappropriate) thumbnail images on my iOS devices to be displayed with a vertically-biased aspect ratio ("portrait shape") and corresponding symmetrical vertical crop; on the desktop, I've become accustomed to circumstances in which EN will crop square images in note bodies when applying them as thumbnails, but only via a horizontally-biased aspect ratio ("landscape shape") and corresponding symmetrical horizontal crop.

Like countless other posters to this topic, I acknowledge and appreciate EN's value to me, both in words here and through my continued patronage as a Premium subscriber.  Thanks to EN -- the company and its representatives, both past and current -- for developing and supporting this product/service.  Like many other posters (I suspect), I continue to use EN despite its weakness regarding thumbnail selection.  However, I also preemptively assert that the information I've provided above does not constitute a solution to this problem, not even a partial one, not even an acceptable workaround.  Any official EN representatives reviewing this information should not construe it as such.  (I doubt any users not officially representing EN who review this post will deem it as such.)  It should only be construed as yet another elaboration on / clarification of the problem; like many other posters, I can only hope the cumulative weight of posts to this topic will ultimately convince EN to substantially improve thumbnail selection, and to do so across all of the platforms/interfaces it supports.  This is not just an issue of absence of explicit user choice regarding thumbnail selection, although I agree with the numerous other posters who believe this absence substantially reduces EN's effectiveness for their workflows.  EN's avoidance of a substantive response to this issue over the past four (4) years has also resulted in a continuation of app behavior relating to thumbnail selection and display that is -- on the whole, and across supported platforms -- much less consistent and simple to infer/predict than the post from "emerick" timestamped 01 July 2011 - 02:42 PM seems to suggest.

Even a solution as simple as applying the fist image in the note body as the thumbnail (perhaps subject to minimum constraints in pixel dimensions) -- either optionally (as the default selection or otherwise) or compulsorily -- would vastly improve my EN experience.  This is substantively identical to or at least generally consistent with input from JMichael (Posted 16 July 2011 - 10:48 PM & 01 July 2012 - 05:41 AM), radiantlf (Posted 30 October 2011 - 12:51 AM), Designology (Posted 07 December 2011 - 12:32 AM), Gimpster (Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:56 PM), Richard Beddard (Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:38 AM), Mike Wood (Posted 30 June 2012 - 10:45 PM), chriszygmont (Posted 18 October 2012 - 02:44 AM), 2vet (Posted 26 December 2012 - 08:38 AM), siamesekitten (Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:53 PM), gdw35 (Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:17 PM), Jared (Posted 02 May 2013 - 04:12, 04:15 & 04:18 PM), StephenF (Posted 27 May 2013 - 02:17 AM), Kip Ingram (Posted 08 June 2013 - 04:41 PM), ideaprison (Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:41 AM), csjDK (Posted 16 June 2014 - 01:29 PM), Esben Sæderup (Posted 21 June 2014 - 01:35 PM), Spectrablue (Posted 13 October 2014 - 01:37 PM), mptpro (Posted 28 November 2014 - 01:15 AM), and TotheMoonAlice (Posted 23 June 2015 - 01:18 PM).

Ticket# 1173855 - Choosing note thumbnail

OMG! Why can't I SELECT the image for the note's thumbnail. Pleeeeeeeeeze.

How about a rt-click on the image and then on the menu "Make this the thumbnail"

Please please please

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
@MikhailV:

I really appreciate your enthusiasm and detail, but to be honest, your post is overwhelming to me.  It makes my eyes glaze over. 

And I'm a great supporter/requester of this feature.

I'm trying to help here.  Who is your audience?    If it's Evernote, I suspect (but I don't really know) that they won't read all of a lengthly post that has no category headers.

I encourage to you to be more succinct, use section headers in bold to denote major points, and provide links to support your arguments rather than embed them.

Thanks for your input.  My apologies if you find my post offensive.  It's not intended to be.  I really am just trying to help.

Feel free to ignore if you don't find it helpful.

"Repetition is good" - so here's another me-too-post:

I'm pretty sure I stumbled upon this very discussion about two years ago when I first tried to find out why Evernote's Mac client wouldn't let me choose a thumbnail image. As a long time user of iPhoto (RIP), I was used to right-clicking on a photo and choosing "make key photo" (or simply hitting the space bar while browsing in preview mode). It hadn't even occurred to me that this feature might not be available in Evernote - this had to be a stupid oversight, right? RIGHT? 
Well, it's two years later (4 years since the OP started this discussion) and this feature still hasn't been implemented - the lack of options to control how the thumbnail image is chosen is really starting to bother me. I'm definitely not going to try to "trick" the almighty algorithm... rescaling pictures until the correct one is chosen is not something I'm willing to do multiple times a day.

Forgive me if I've missed some clear explanation from staff as to why this feature hasn't been implemented yet (I simply don't have the time to read through this whole thread right now), but it boggles my mind why Evernote seems to not be interested at all in solving this problem. The company surely has some of the smartest developers available to them, they do great stuff and fantastic features have been added to the clients since I first started using Evernote. I can't think of a single reason why a feature like that, a feature that iPhoto has had as long as I can remember, wouldn't be high up on the "To Do" list. Making a note instantly recognizable by its (chosen) thumbnail would make Evernote easier to use, it would be visually appealing and it would make Evernote a more useful product - at least for me. 

PS: I would be quite happy if - as others have said before - the first image would be chosen as the thumbnail image, no matter what. That would allow me to have some form of control over the process without having to perform convoluted scaling operations... don't even get me started on the "largest smallest"-thing. *grrrrrrrr*
  • Like 1

Hello everyone, 

Update on my ticket from June: 

Francisco S. (Evernote Support)

Jul 31, 13:09

Leah,

Thank you for following up about this. Although the developers are still looking into this, I have asked for an update.

I will notify you as soon as I receive a response.

Thank you for your patience.

Cheers,
Francisco S.

• Like 2

Thank you everyone for the spirited discussion on this topic. As you know we have a lot of feature ideas and requests that come in from all of our users. Unfortunately, this is not a feature that we are planning to add in the near future. The feature request, however, is heard loud and clear. We understand the need and see its value. We will continue to consider it in the list of potential features to add as we continue to improve the product. Thanks again for being active in the community and providing us feedback. We really appreciate it. We'll be sure to update this thread should this feature get implemented later down the line. 

Nancy 

• Level 5*

Thank you everyone for the spirited discussion on this topic. As you know we have a lot of feature ideas and requests that come in from all of our users. Unfortunately, this is not a feature that we are planning to add in the near future. 

Nancy, thanks for resetting our expectations.  Not what I wanted to hear, but at least now I can quit butting my head against a brick wall that will never give.   :angry:

You'll have to admit it is shocking to hear this, given that this request started at least 4 years ago, and has had 320 posts.

Perhaps there were 1 or 2, but I don't recall anyone being against the feature.

I do wonder one thing though.  Can you name 3 features that have been added recently in response to user requests?

Please exclude the Web Beta from this, since it is just working its way back to restoring all of the features of the main Web client.

Thank you everyone for the spirited discussion on this topic. As you know we have a lot of feature ideas and requests that come in from all of our users. Unfortunately, this is not a feature that we are planning to add in the near future. 

Nancy, thanks for resetting our expectations.  Not what I wanted to hear, but at least now I can quit butting my head against a brick wall that will never give.   :angry:

You'll have to admit it is shocking to hear this, given that this request started at least 4 years ago, and has had 320 posts.

Perhaps there were 1 or 2, but I don't recall anyone being against the feature.

I do wonder one thing though.  Can you name 3 features that have been added recently in response to user requests?

Please exclude the Web Beta from this, since it is just working its way back to restoring all of the features of the main Web client.

Thanks for understanding, JMichael. Unfortunately, with the limited resources we have on our side when building out the product, we have to make tough calls on which features to add to the product, which bugs to address, and cost out not only what is implementable in one client, but in all of our clients. Right now our focus is on improving the New Web Client. We've been addressing the feedback users have been giving us over the last year. Hopefully you've noticed that every release note in the last couple of months were design changes all based on user feedback that actually came from the discussion forums & our surveys. We still have a lot of work, but we try to address the biggest pain points first & hopefully through the future releases, we can trickle in more new feature requests. As for the length & date of this thread, unfortunately it predates me, so I can't speak to why it's been going on for so long.  Either way, let's make sure we keep this type of feedback coming and I'll be sure to bring it back to the team. 

Nancy 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Right now our focus is on improving the New Web Client. We've been addressing the feedback users have been giving us over the last year. 

Nancy, you just hit on one of my biggest concerns:  Putting valuable resources on a product that really wasn't needed that much, at least by that many users, i.e. the new Web Client.  There was really nothing wrong with the "old" web client.  All of the feedback/requests have been for putting back into the new Web client the missing features that were already in the old web client.

Sorry, but you did not really answer my question, which I specifically requested that you exclude the Web beta.

I asked the question because I believe that you can't find 3 features (not related to the web client), that have been requested by users, that have been implemented recently (let's say the last year).

Go ahead.  Prove me wrong, if you can.   :ph34r:

Nancy, you just hit on one of my biggest concerns:  Putting valuable resources on a product that really wasn't needed that much, at least by that many users, i.e. the new Web Client.  There was really nothing wrong with the "old" web client.  All of the feedback/requests have been for putting back into the new Web client the missing features that were already in the old web client.

Sorry, but you did not really answer my question, which I specifically requested that you exclude the Web beta.

I asked the question because I believe that you can't find 3 features (not related to the web client), that have been requested by users, that have been implemented recently (let's say the last year).

Go ahead.  Prove me wrong, if you can.   :ph34r:

No need to be rude about it... I get that it's frustrating but it's not her fault, these decisions are made at a higher level.

My suspicion is that Evernote is prioritizing features that lead to $$$$ coming in (things that corporations are asking for, or things that drive users to the Pro version), vs. some esoteric technical feature that is requested by a bunch of old-school users who are mostly on the free Basic version are asking for. At least, that's how I read between the lines of Nancy's response.

Please avoid the unnecessary call outs--Nancy's providing additional info around how and why we may prioritize a feature over other forms of development, and is being transparent about our intensions around this particular feature. By only focusing on a few limited feature requests you're avoiding much of the other developmental priorities we have, including updates and improvements to existing features. Please check our PM development posts on these forums, and find a range of updates that are based on user feedback, often from our forum membership. Justin's Windows post is only the most recent example: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/87863-new-evernote-for-windows-590/which addresses a number of recurring themes, such as table functionality. There are explicit improvements across pretty much every single device we support, right here in these forums, many of which contain improvements, adjustments, or expansion to features. 

We definitely need to do a better job at communicating back to customers when feedback is implemented, and we're working on ways to improve on that and close the loop.

Closing the thread for now. Thanks to everyone who has provided information and feedback behind this feature request. 

• Like 1

I have been coming back every month waiting for evernote to fix this. i would much rather have a quick glance at a thumbnail to identify a note in the endless sea of notes i have amassed. I am a premium user which means i give you money for your service evernote. please address this issue hear my cry!. every update that comes out im there waiting hoping and praying.  Put me out of my misery. Oh and i'm a mac user by the way.

• Like 1

Evernote! Is anybody listening??

This is the number one issue for me (has been since the card view was introduced). I've started using ember for mac for this one reason alone but maintaining both services is a pain. I'd love to just be able to use evernote.

For those of us who use evernote for primarily for images and screenshots, having half of the card covered with a title and text severely limits the user experience and effectiveness of the app. 

• Like 2

I'd like to add my vote to this (old) request. Please, add a "Set image as Thumbnail" feature to the client.

I can state my reasons, but I believe everything has already been said in this (and other similar) posts. It's basically a big convenience factor for people who use multiple images in the same post.

Cheers.

• Like 2

This is by no means ideal but I've found if you don't need the image shown at all, then delete this image from your note then Evernote may choose the image you want as a thumbnail.

Like so many others I'd would also like to add my vote to this request - let us choose our thumbnail image.

• Like 1

Yes, +1 to this request, it's rather frustrating as a premium user not to be able to select which image in the note becomes the thumbnail.  I note that the previous thread/suggestion discussing this feature is now closed, after 300+ comments, so no way to add my vote there.

Evernote - is this on the feature list?

Thanks.

• Like 1

Hi,

New Evernote user this year.  I agree, I want to be able to choose and edit thumbnail.  JMichaelTX is right though  - follow the link to upvote the request.  I am only person number 8 to upvote, but it seems heaps of people want this? 

• Like 1

I wanted to mention that Evernote selected an speaker icon for a thumbnail. There is audio in there but an icon for a representation of a note?I'm a little disappointed about this especially after spending $25 for this oversight. I wonder why the push back for user selected thumbnails? I'm glad I'm not totally invested in these notes because I'm going to cancel the account if there is no plan to change this. 

Screenshot_20160517-065138.png

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
6 hours ago, Matt W. said:

Please be sure to up-vote now on this request.

@Matt W., that's fine, but this is an ANDROID thread.  We need to vote on thumbnail override for ALL Evernote apps.  Where is that???

• Like 1

@JMichaelTX,

There currently isn't a way to cover all platforms for this feature request from the forums. This is something I will be bringing up in our next meeting. I will keep you posted.

For now you can create a feedback topic on the other platforms and up-vote from there. Having one central place to vote would be great to see. More coming soon.

Wouldn't it make more sense for the "snippet" image to be defaulted to the "smallest, smallest" dimension?  I get that adding code to allow the user to *choose* the image in the snippet would be a lot of extra work, but seeing a small part of a large photo isn't very helpful when looking down a list of notes.  

Could the algorithm use a "sort descending" (choosing the last value)  instead of a "sort ascending"?  Then I could add a small dimension photo that would turn up in the snippet, while keeping my larger dimension photo's image quality.

• Sad 1

Adding my voice to the chorus requesting user chosen thumbnail selection across all devices. With the new plan changes (limiting my free account to 2 devices when I regularly use 3 but will get by with browser access on one of them) I am so, so very close to upgrading to Plus but I just can't justify the cost based on the way I use Evernote. The powerful text searching is great but I search visually as well. I have sewing patterns that display the envelope back rather than the front and recipes that show thumbnails of the clipped instructions rather than the money shot. 

• Like 2

Have users been granted control over which image is displayed as a thumbnail in the snippet note list view?

This would be MUCH appreciated (This has been a request by many of us paying Evernote users for a LONG time!)

Thanks for your consideration.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
10 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Does the thumbnail view available in the current Windows version improve things at all? I don't have a lot of notes with multiple images, so I'm not really able to test much myself.

At a guess, it's using the same criterion for choosing a thumbnail image. I can't see why it would be different: a thumbnail is a thumbnail.Notes in snippet view are displayed with a thumbnail (if any exists) and a snippet of text content,

• Level 5
3 minutes ago, jefito said:

At a guess, it's using the same criterion for choosing a thumbnail image. I can't see why it would be different: a thumbnail is a thumbnail.Notes in snippet view are displayed with a thumbnail (if any exists) and a snippet of text content,

Well, here are two screenshots. The first shows 5 notes in thumbnail view, the second the same 5 in snippet view. There are differences. I just don't know how helpful they would be for the needs expressed by @GaRK2 and @mwerner2.

Evernote thumbnail view.JPG

Evernote snippet view.JPG

• Level 5*

@Dave-in-Decatur

Hmmm, interesting, and a little surprising (to me anyway). You'd need to get the skinny from a dev; that's where the old largest-smallest info came from. I think that the ability to select the thumbnail image would be a good feature, though. This should be in a Feedback forum; I'll move it and then vote for it.

1 hour ago, jefito said:

@Dave-in-Decatur

Hmmm, interesting, and a little surprising (to me anyway). You'd need to get the skinny from a dev; that's where the old largest-smallest info came from. I think that the ability to select the thumbnail image would be a good feature, though. This should be in a Feedback forum; I'll move it and then vote for it.

1 hour ago, jefito said:

This should be in a Feedback forum; I'll move it and then vote for it.

Great idea!   I didn't realize such an option was possible. Can any user vote for it?

Wouldn't it make more sense for the "snippet" image to be defaulted to the "smallest, smallest" dimension?  I get that adding code to allow the user to *choose* the image in the snippet would be a lot of extra work, but seeing a small part of a large photo isn't very helpful when looking down a list of notes.  

Could the algorithm use a "sort descending" (choosing the last value)  instead of a "sort ascending"?  Then I could add a small dimension photo that would turn up in the snippet, while keeping my larger dimension photo's image quality.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
3 minutes ago, mwerner2 said:

Great idea!   I didn't realize such an option was possible. Can any user vote for it?

I have a couple of special powers; being able to move posts to more appropriate locations is one of them. :) Any user may vote on feature requests (except for the original poster); the voting button is up at the top-left part of this page, next to the title. You may only vote up, not down, except to remove a prior up vote by you (a forum rule chosen by Evernote, I think). Vote away.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
17 minutes ago, mwerner2 said:

"Smallest-smallest" probably picks up small icon-y type things, the sort of things you *don't* want in a thumbnail: they're probably more like decoration than useful content. There's no real best algorithm, just thumbrules. You're always going to find bad cases with any heuristic. I voted this one up for explicit user choice.

• Like 2

I also really need this feature. I'm new to Evernote and couldn't just believe that there should not be an option to chose the thumbnail you want. Then I saw this has been discussed and requested for over 4 years or so and is still not implemented. What can we do? Is there another thread with more votes or so?

I am looking for this, and the workaround sound like *****. Why not select the first images instead of the largest?

I use Evernote for recipe's and I have first a thumbnail of the dish, then the recipe. That's usualy a picture, which is obviously larger than the thumbnail... so Evernote f's up my snipped view with text instead of pictures of the dish.

Please let us choose the snippet thumbnail! 

• Like 1

The strange thing is that Evernote on my Mac does this diffrently than on my iPad. It's sad to see that Evernote is making itself very inpopular with this kind of annoying behavior.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but this is bothering my OCD. ;)

I have several images in a single note, or rather a lot of notes but that's not the point. In Note List View it somehow chooses which image it wants you to preview. I can't stand what it's showing me because it's not the main image of the note. Is there a way to customize which image it previews for you?

Oh and while I'm posting, because posting reminded me of it, is there a way to permanently turn on "Notify me of replies". I appreciate so much that Evernote doesn't want to inundate you with a ton of undesired messages but if I post something I always want to know about replies.

Many thanks for any help! I just love Evernote and believe it or not, I've been a paid subscriber for years now and just realized the many ways I can truly enjoy it. DUH! I'm so glad I have this! 

• Level 5

You are not going to like this answer, but it comes straight from Evernote several years ago. I have not seen any improvement in the positioning issue of the largest smallest dimension.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, magnoliasouth said:

Oh and while I'm posting, because posting reminded me of it, is there a way to permanently turn on "Notify me of replies". I appreciate so much that Evernote doesn't want to inundate you with a ton of undesired messages but if I post something I always want to know about replies.

Click the drop down next to your user name in the upper right, then Account Settings, then Notification Settings.  The settings are there. 

Why isn't Evernote responding on this? It has been years (!) and this request is still alive. The supposed workaround with the largest of smallest dimensions isn't working 'cause it has different outcomes on my Mac and iPad. If Evernote wants my premium membership they do have to listen to their customers... 

How difficult can it be? Come on!

• Like 1

In the Notes List, it would be great if we could indicate which of the photos in the note is the one displayed in the list.  I do work for homeowners, and so I have 'before' and 'after' pictures.  The note list always shows one of the 'before' pictures, and I'd like to show an 'after' picture once the project has completed. An option on each pic to say "Show as thumbnail" or something like that would be good to have.

• Like 1

Hi,

HATE the feature where a thumbnail of an image from the document is displayed in the snipit.  I often have long titles that I want to see and when a thumbnail is displayed I loose so much of the title text that I often have to open a note just to see what the title is.  It's particularly aggravating when the thumbnail is just the generic PDF icon.  I can use other list views but none of them are as good as the snipit view.  I'd like to see an option or other way to disable thumbnails in snipits.  

Mike

• Level 5*
On 16/09/2017 at 3:17 PM, sbrick said:

Im going to reply to bring this topic back. It looks like its been ignored for years and hadn't been implemented. Why hasn't it been implemented?

Possibly because only 13 users (currently) out of 200M or so seem to find it an issue.  We can request a feature,  but Evernote are not obliged to deliver...

• Confused 1

Please let us select the thumbnail picture shown in the note previews.

I read the forum and I saw there is an annoying work around, but that's why I'm requesting this feature for real. Something like:

• right click the image and select "Use this as Preview image" (I believe this should be the easiest to implement)

• right click the note preview and select "Pick a thumbnail" that leads to a small selection of the images available inside that note

• right click the image and set a priority that overrides the current priority

These are just ideas, but any of those would be amazing so we have decent control over the thumbnail pic!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
On 9/30/2017 at 3:53 PM, Pyrefox said:

Please let us select the thumbnail picture shown in the note previews.

This is already an existing request: 

You should head there and add your vote.

On 18.11.2016 at 1:18 PM, offringa said:

I would like to see following additions:

- Option to switch between 'automatic' (based on algorithm) en 'manual'

- Option 'set as thumbnail' for the image within the note

TX!

Agree!

I have a lot of files that I use pictures in.

One of my hobbies are RC car racing, and I save a lot of settings for electronics, car setup and so on.

An easy way to save info you find on the net is with pictures. But also to set up a picture to be the thumbnail pic or icon if you will.

This has worked ok till now, less than 2 weeks ago this worked by saving when you set just one picture in the file. Then save.

Then it was set as long the picture was in th file. And you could add other pictures without any issues.

But not anymore! What are Evernote really doing?

Another thing, I use the Android version a lot, and all of a sudden the function where you "Set to homescreen" shortcut on your phone (hope that is what it says in English). But it now fails to add a thumbnail picture to the file. It just don't do it anymore...

I have a strong feeling that Evernote has more or less have "monopoly rights" as they are the only one with so much functions compared to other.

So they don't care. At all

And yes, I have tried others or similar apps too. They don't have the capacity as Evernote. That's good for us, I guess. But at the same time many of us pay premium and should expect more from a giant as Evernote are. I pay premium, but for what?

So, if a kickstarter was started for a better nite app, and based on a total different coding structure I would definitely go for that!

Complaining to Evernote do not help at all.

Tried that...

I'm really debating with myself to cansel premium, as it do not give you anything than disappointment and grief...

Sorry for the long rant, while quoting you...

Edited by Erik Bakstad
Spelling errors

Ok.  Last straw.  I'm officially looking for an app to replace Evernote.  I have used the free version for years, for personal use.  I also use the Premium version for collaboration with colleagues.  I'll be canceling both, as soon as I find a replacement.  I really like the app, but I HATE, hate, hate the fact that they aren't listening to the people that support them.

I'm tired of clipping articles only to have them in a jacked up format, no matter which clipping option I choose.  To top that off, the app chooses the WORST image to use for the icon.  Today's instance:  I clipped a nicely-formatted webpage that has a pecan pie recipe.  The article has a nice picture of a piece of pecan pie - the perfect image to help me when I go back later, searching for the recipe.  But Evernote selects a black and white pic of a piece of foil being placed into a pie pan.  What the heck does that have to do with helping me find my article.  

Just reactivated my Evernote account to keep records of my pottery - I was going to create one note per pot that would include images of the piece at different stages of production - and finding this bug when creating my very first note is enough of a dealbreaker that I'm going to use another app unless/until it's resolved. I need the thumbnails to be the reference images I choose, so that I can easily find the pieces I want.

Please add this feature! I use Evernote to organize things that require me to see a visual image in snippet view to recognize what the note is for. Sometimes the algorithm chooses the image I want to see, but most times it doesn't. It's ridiculous to expect the users to have to resize and annotate photos just to get the right thumbnail image to display. This is my ONLY issue with Evernote...and I see that this request has been out there for YEARS. No one has time to sit around resizing images just to be able to get the one they want into the thumbnail!

I would like this as well. I use a log of images in my notes to be easier on the eyes when I am skimming through a note quickly.

So I will use logos for example a Todoist logo if I had a link to an action. Then I will have a JPG file. Sometimes it will show the Todoist logo. Would be nice to pick which one to display.

Hopefully this will make it soon!

Seems like such a simple feature to implement, yet I am shocked at reading this thread that's it's been a few years and still no word on if they're even working on this?! Some feedback would be appreciated, at least let us know it will never happen, or maybe in five years, or we are currently working on this?  At this point, it seems this forum is being completely ignored.

I'm new.  Can someone please explain why I can't see the 'work around' jbenson2 mentioned?  I am a 'Plus' member... I thought that meant I could get 'help'.  The error message states:  Sorry, we can't show this content because you do not have permission to see it. 

• Level 5*
On 3/11/2018 at 3:50 PM, rdebell324 said:

I'm new.  Can someone please explain why I can't see the 'work around' jbenson2 mentioned?  I am a 'Plus' member... I thought that meant I could get 'help'.  The error message states:  Sorry, we can't show this content because you do not have permission to see it. 

I can't see it either, and I don't think subscription status has anything to do with what you can see on the forums.  There was some forum reorganization a few weeks back, perhaps the linked post was deleted or moved to the archives?  Perhaps @jbenson2 can repost the link.

• Level 5*
On 2018-03-11 at 3:50 PM, rdebell324 said:

Darn,   I can't read the "largest smallest" explanation anymore.

Here's an alternate post

On 9/21/2016 at 5:20 AM, GaRK2 said:

Have users been granted control over which image is displayed as a thumbnail in the snippet note list view?

This would be MUCH appreciated (This has been a request by many of us paying Evernote users for a LONG time!)

Thanks for your consideration.

NO... Evernote is TOOOOO LAZY and just happy to TAKE OUR MONEY (I'm a paying user).... That's why they created this 'forum' - to get sincere and innovative customers off their back, so they can steadily rake in the money. PERIOD.

• Level 5
21 hours ago, CalS said:

I can't see it either, and I don't think subscription status has anything to do with what you can see on the forums.  There was some forum reorganization a few weeks back, perhaps the linked post was deleted or moved to the archives?  Perhaps @jbenson2 can repost the link.

I can't see it either. 

I would not consider this to be a workaround. It is too clunky, but here is what I saved in my Evernote account several years ago:

There is no easy solution if you have several photos in one note. I guess if someone really wanted to promote a specific image, they could use a photo editor to re-size the photo to create the "largest smallest dimension".
That's too much work for me.  (comment: biggest smallest )

Dec 6, 2011
Evernote's explanation:
We select the image with the largest smallest dimension. There are some other rules, but that's the main one.

Examples:
75x100
100x400
200x300

The "smallest" dimensions are 75, 100, and 200, respectively. We're going to use the image with the largest of those "smallest" dimensions (i.e., 200).

There are probably better ways to describe that algorithm, but that's how we've been describing it internally.

• Like 1
Em 09/01/2015 at 09:48, Frank.dg disse:

Hi @RightPaddock,

Yes and no. It has to do with the "largest smallest" dimension, explained here:

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/18482-choosing-a-thumbnail/

Yes... if you modify your images according to the above criteria. No... if you don't have the inclination to tinker with image resizing and trying to wrap your brain around meeting the requirements of the "largest smallest" dimension every time you want to select one image to be the image displayed in snippet/ card view from multiple images that come from multiple sources. 

Take clipping web pages with multiple images, for example. Imagine trying to set a thumbnail image for each, other than the one which already matches the "largest smallest" dimension criteria. However, if this is critical to you, and in certain use cases you can establish a simple workflow that is repeatable and takes the above into account, then the "largest smallest" dimension is your guiding light. That is, until  Evernote provides a way to manually select the desired image. Who know, it may be just around the corner :-)

The explanation discussion was removed. Anyone has a copy? 

• Level 5*
33 minutes ago, Eduardo Estefano said:

The explanation discussion was removed. Anyone has a copy? 

I can't find the original, but this post is from an Evernote employee: 

• Level 5

I saved a few of the laughable posts about the largest smallest dimensions from 7 years ago. Here is one.

Posted 01 July 2011 - 07:42 AM
jbenson2 said:
The largest smallest dimension?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

Evernote Response:
Yeah.  For example, if you have 3 images with the following dimensions:

75x100
100x400
200x300

The "smallest" dimensions are 75, 100, and 200, respectively.  We're going to use the image with the largest of those "smallest" dimensions (i.e., 200).

There are probably better ways to describe that algorithm, but that's how we've been describing it internally.
  • Level 5

Evernote does not permit me to view some of my past posts, but I saved some off-line in January 2012.

Here is a comment on the 75-pixel barrier used with the Largest Smallest discusion.

Evernote User:
Subject: Evernote User Forum 75 pixels is the smalled dimension allowed in a thumbnail

The thumbnail in the Snippet view is a powerful way to quickly scan my notes.

My comment:
I was able to duplicate the 75-pixel barrier.

136 x 75 pixels - yes - the image showed up
134 x 74 pixels - no - the image did not show up

By the way, I was surprised how well the 75-pixel thumbnail showed up in Evernote.

I am adding this to the Evernote rule about the " largest smallest" dimension.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, SparkWerx said:

Frankly, I think it's rather pathetic that Evernote has failed to provide this simple capability in 7+ years. 

I'm not sure I would say pathetic but it is definitely puzzling.  The algorithm is ok for picking a default image but they really should provide us a way to define a new one if needed.  I use snippet view and many of the images selected do not match up to anything meaningful in the note.

• Like 1
2 horas atrás, jbenson2 disse:

Evernote does not permit me to view some of my past posts, but I saved some off-line in January 2012.

Here is a comment on the 75-pixel barrier used with the Largest Smallest discusion.

Evernote User:
Subject: Evernote User Forum 75 pixels is the smalled dimension allowed in a thumbnail

The thumbnail in the Snippet view is a powerful way to quickly scan my notes.

My comment:
I was able to duplicate the 75-pixel barrier.

136 x 75 pixels - yes - the image showed up
134 x 74 pixels - no - the image did not show up

By the way, I was surprised how well the 75-pixel thumbnail showed up in Evernote.

I am adding this to the Evernote rule about the " largest smallest" dimension.

Thanks!

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, ctash said:

4 different requests... come on, Evernote!

Only four? You're gonna have to get in line behind such requests as nested notebooks, selective sync, Evernote for Linux, etc., etc....

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
4 hours ago, ctash said:

This is a popular idea... 4 different requests... come on, Evernote!

There's no need to repeat posts all over the forum. But do feel free to add your vote to any feature request you agree with. It's up at the top, top triangle to vote up...

Please, dear folks at Evernote:

On 2/16/2018 at 12:41 PM, SashaS said:

Right click on image >> Set as thumbnail image.

This one cannot be overly complicated. And everybody here is waiting for years now to be able to chose their own snippet/thumbnail picture.

• Like 1