slow typing responses in Evernote for Mac 6.0.5

Tcellguy

Idea

I'm using the Evernote for Mac version I downloaded from the Evernote site (not the app store). After the most recent update I'm getting beach balls and severe response delays (no text appearing for up to 5 seconds) when typing in notes with bullet points and > around 200 words of text. Smaller notes are fine. The same notes have no problems on my PC or iOS devices so I don't think they are corrupted. I emailed support last week and am awaiting a reply. Has anyone else had/solved this issue?

99 replies to this idea

Is there any chance we could get a progress update from the Evernote Team? This issue has been flagged for two and a half months now and continues in all the recent updates (betas included).

Any suggestions for ways to mitigate the sluggishness or an indication of the timeline for resolving the core issue would be a huge help. EN is a fantastic product and I appreciate all the help. 

I fixed the problem for myself by reverting back to Mavericks. I know that's not a solution for many of you but it solved a few issues I was having with Yosemite and EN was one of them.

Do others mainly use Word for typing notes into Evernote, or am I alone? Due to the frustration with lag, I type all my notes into Word and then just save the Word doc into Evernote. Evernote can search within the doc which is useful, and I get all the benefits of a full word processor. I now rarely type directly into Evernote notes, unless they are very short ones.

EN has become almost impossible to use for my daily work flow at this point.

The sluggishness of EN on my MacBook Pro (OSX Yosemite) has become worse.  It just randomly pauses (i.e., Beachball) as I am typing.  When I hit "Return" to go to the next line, it takes about 6 seconds to let me begin typing again.

I don't want to have to switch to another product. I have LOVED EN since I began using it, and have been a paying subscriber for two years now. PLEASE resolve this issue.

I depended on Evernote for work, and this issue has become so bad that I have (unfortunately) had to switch to alternatives. As a premium user, this was really hard. 

I've switched over to nvALT for note taking, and am using Google Drive for storage of all other media formats at work. This has worked out surprisingly well, and has been a painless transition. I'm still using Evernote as a general repository for things like receipts and documents, but that's it. Storage, not activity. 

This is really too bad as Evernote is amazing. But speed needs to be a core competency of their product if they truly expect people to depend on it for real work. 

I still hold hope that Evernote fixes this issue, but it will need to be magnitudes better for me to invest in it at the same level I previously did. I hope Evernote can regain my trust (apologies, as that statement is not meant to be overly dramatic). 

Ending Note: I really do love Evernote and am rooting for them!

Follow-up to two earlier posts:

I've updated recently to 6.0.7 Beta 1 (451348 Direct) and I'm still experiencing the slowdowns. I'm set to sync every hour; the slowdowns persist even after a manual sync, but they go away (for a while) if I restart EN.

I'm running it on an iMac (20-inch, mid-2009), 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, on Yosemite (10.10.2). I have no performance problems with the other software I use (mostly browsers and MS Office apps, some Adobe stuff now and then).

Not a dealbreaker for me, exactly, but certainly a bummer.

AAARRRRGGGGHHHHH!  Please do something about this issue.  This is one Premium (i.e., paid) user that is arriving at his wit's end.  I have used EN as my Daily Call & Conversation log for several years, and now it is becoming unbearable.  When I am on a phone conversation, the EN cannot keep up with my typing.  The "beachball" delay is hampering the workflow.

Same issue here. I'm a Premium user and I use evernote both at work (Windows) and at home (Mac). The mac version is completely unusable for writing, to the point I'm now considering it "ready only". Creating some line breaks by pressing enter is taking up to 3 SECONDS. Typing is not an option in the app anymore.

And this comes after a crash that made evernote unable to open, crashing instantly after clicking on it's icon, repeatedly, even after rebooting my macbook ! 

Guys, c'mon. All the great functionality is totally WORTHLESS if I can't a) OPEN THE APP in the first place and 2) WRITE TEXT ON NOTES. This is a note taking app, this is it's core, it's bare essentials, it's mission critical function. You should be all hands on deck on this issue and stop all development until you have completely eliminated this issue ! 

(By the way I'm on 6.0.6 and I could only open the app after a new download from the app store. The sluggish performance, on the other hand, is getting worse every day, making the app no good for writing anymore). 

Beyond slow typing!!  Now Evernote 6.0.6 hangs up consistently and reports "Not Responding" on MacBook Air, fully loaded, late 2014 running Yosemite 10.10.2

This is completely unacceptable Evernote Team.

Same version working fine on iMac and on my PCs

Web version seems nominal.

Please fix PRONTO!  crucial to this guy's business on the road!

MH McGrath

A - I'm not sure why mine seems happy most of the time and I'm not asking questions to jinx it

B - If you're online and your computer's non-responsive then use the browser client instead. It saves to the same cloud service and works just fine - minus keyboard shortcuts.

C - Maybe it's also time for EN to consider partial rebates to premium customers with persistent issues.

I like the constructive ideas. and yes if it is something that is very important use the browser client if you can. BUT paying for a software product implies such product is functional. 

I am still very confused because my iMac and macbook pro are nearly identical (iMAC slight faster processing speed) and I have no issues with EN on iMac, only my MBP. Both running the same OS. I am not a computer genius by any stretch of the imagination but it is confusing to say the least. 

A - I'm not sure why mine seems happy most of the time and I'm not asking questions to jinx it
B - If you're online and your computer's non-responsive then use the browser client instead. It saves to the same cloud service and works just fine - minus keyboard shortcuts.

C - Maybe it's also time for EN to consider partial rebates to premium customers with persistent issues.

AAARRRRGGGGHHHHH!  Please do something about this issue.  This is one Premium (i.e., paid) user that is arriving at his wit's end.  I have used EN as my Daily Call & Conversation log for several years, and now it is becoming unbearable.  When I am on a phone conversation, the EN cannot keep up with my typing.  The "beachball" delay is hampering the workflow.

I know EN is working on the issue, but it may be time to devote more tech staff and work on it around the clock.  The potential loss of revenue from the departure of paying customers could be more than the cost of resolving the issue quickly.  Just a thought.  :)

I would just like to update that this is incredibly frustrating.

Due to a current project I'm using EN much more than usual (about 8 hours a day) and I estimate 30 minutes of that is correcting typing mistakes due to screen hangs and waiting for the beachball.

I love Evernote but this is an incredibly painful experience.

:angry:

Further note to Developers:

I have deduced that the pause/hang behaviour corresponds to when a new event is saved to the Undo cache.

A pause in the flow of typing will cause the hang (cursor stops blinking and app is unresponsive for at least 1 second).

At this point, the BOOST column is incremented in the top output - I assume this is an event message being sent to the Undo cache server process

Then typing can resume.  Undoing multiple typing actions corresponds exactly to where each application hang occurs.

Coincidence possibly but worth investigating.

Note to developers:

When running top to monitor the Evernote process, there is a significant ramp up of the memory used by the process simply by typing.

When observing the BOOSTS column, every time EN hangs, the BOOSTS number is incremented.

I don't know enough about this but EN stands out in this regard on my process list.

Could it be that client/server messages are being created but not destroyed properly when the xpc_transaction_begin() method is called?

This may explain the apparent memory leak.

Noticed this issue a couple of weeks back. As with others, gets worse the longer the app is open. I use a table-based template for a lot of my notes and it's especially bad with that, tonight it just got unusable. 

I'm a premium user, rely on Evernote, please fix this. 

I updated to use the direct download version from Evernote's site and kept sync set to manual. At first, performance was crisp, but as the day progressed, performance started to decline. Now on day 2 of having Evernote open and performance is back to its sluggish self. So it seems that something is happening the longer I keep the application open. My standard behavior is to keep Evernote open for days at a time.

Just wanted to say that I've been having this problem for months, and nothing fixes it. Slow typing response after a few minutes of having a note open. Things like bulleting lists gets VERY slow. Closing/reopening alleviates it for a few minutes, but it always comes back. As does briefly looking at a different note.

I'm so frustrated that I've looked into how to port my notes over to another program that doesn't have problems, but have put it off until I can get an assurance that the EN devs are working on this.

• Level 5

Closing this thread as it relates to an old version. We are actively working on this issue and need feedback on our more recent versions.

6.0.9 has significant performance fixes. This is currently in beta as of April 7, 2015. Please follow up on a newer thread (like this one: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/82979-evernote-for-mac-609-beta-released/ )

This has been going on for me for some months. I love Evernote but am so irritated by waiting for the magic spinning beachball every time I type to be super irritating, and slows down the most fundamental feature of Evernote - note taking - on desktop. It's easier to type in other apps and then copy into Evernote, tho the formatting isn't ideal that way.

I'm on EN 6.0.8 (451398 Direct), and a Business Premium user, on Yosemite 10.10.2.

*** Can Evernote please update customers on when this issue will be resolved? It's clearly not a small problem for many of us. 

I've seen some improvements in the 6.0.9 Beta with this issue. Although things still slowdown, it now takes a little longer (time-wise) while working in a note for things to jam up. Once things slowdown, the lag is also somewhat less severe.

Has anyone else seen improvements? 

Thanks to the Evernote team for working on this!

Same for me. It has improved a little, but still experiencing slowdones... I notice it a lot when making bullitpoints.

I'm still trying to discern if I'm seeing improvement in 6.0.8 with my home mac (had been using 3 other macs w/ less ram while on the road these past few weeks and was horrendous) and though I'm not noticing as much lag, I still need to put it through it's paces and compare w/ same on macbook. 

I've seen some improvements in the 6.0.9 Beta with this issue. Although things still slowdown, it now takes a little longer (time-wise) while working in a note for things to jam up. Once things slowdown, the lag is also somewhat less severe.

Has anyone else seen improvements? 

Thanks to the Evernote team for working on this!

Hi new to the Evernote forum, in fact its my first ever post on a forum, ever! 

Anyway, I've had this issue but have found it is completely resolved if I don't type into note in its own window (so only having the app open). Must be less taxing on memory.

Piers

EN 6.0.8

MBP 2010 - Yosemite 10.10.1

Same problem for MONTHS now, can't believe there's still no fix for something as simple as TYPING (!!) 

Been a premium user for 2 years+ with thousands of notes. I love Evernote and have turned countless people on to it so this is very disappointing.

I re-installed everything a month ago – FRESH install of Yosemite, FRESH install of Evernote. I keep updating to the latest version but still the same problem persists: When you're trying to type it keeps lagging. 

PLEASE guys, stop ALL new feature development until you have this fixed. The CORE of Evernote is to MAKE NOTES. If we can't do this then it doesn't matter how many fancy features the program has.

In case it helps anyone..

Now using 6.0.8 via direct download and still happening across all four of my macs (two iMacs, one macbook pro, and a mac mini). All kinds of typing, even clicking the cursor on another part of the note takes 3 seconds to register. Only thing that helps temporarily is restarting EN (every 5 min)

Suggestion to EN team: back before i discovered a macintosh computer, I remember a little program on my Windows '95 machine called "notepad", maybe you can provide a link to that in your program instead of the current text editor, it seemed pretty snappy.

Just google "evernote mac slow typing" and you will see that is affecting quite a few people and for some time now.

Evernote employee @Jackolicious was nice enough to respond earlier in this thread, but the message has not changed for months:

"Have you tried to direct download the latest 6.0.2, 6.0.3, 6.0.4, 6.0.5, 6.0.6, 6.0.7, ...." to ... "We are anticipating even more performance improvements in 6.0.8"

... sounds more like guesswork than acknowledgement of an issue and commitment to remedy. Makes it sound like: ignoring, ignorance, or issue profound/fundamental. Can't complain too much as, though I use quite a bit, I am not a paid user (at this rate, not sure I would ever be). Here's to hoping is resolved soon.

If you are running Ver 6.0.7 and STILL experience these issues, then I'd suggest that you...

I still have this issue on large notes; it was literally beach-balling on me just now. BTW, for anyone else with large notes that use Evernote on more than one device, I highly recommend doing a search for "conflicting modification": you may be surprised by the results!

I can't believe this has been an issue for nearly three months and it hasn't been fixed yet. I've resorted to using TextEdit and copy+pasting all my notes into an Evernote, but woe betide me if I need to make an edit after that.

Please, please fix this!

I have the exact same issue, 

been using Evernote for 3+ years now. Premium subscriber for 2+

true evangelist of the product, turned 100+ people onto it.

It *was* my go to application, open 24/7 on OSX and iPhone.

This bug, which I've experienced since v6.0.x, and/or Yosemite

makes the core Evernote product COMPLETELY UNUSABLE..

I have close to 5,000 notes and it will be a real pain to port them

but if I can't even type a new note faster than the "throttled" 5wpm, what is the point?

Seriously, we're talking at heart about a TEXT NOTE application that has UNRESPONSIVE TYPING. ?!?!?!!?

FIX THIS IMMEDIATELY. FREEZE PRODUCT UNTIL IT IS FIXED.

I have been seeing slowness (Evernote 6.0.7) while editing notes for a while (2-3 months maybe?) I couldn't tell you when it started, but I typically update Evernote as soon as a new GA comes out.

The symptoms are most severe when I have a large note open for a long time, creating a lot of content or making a lot of edits. A few weeks ago I was using Evernote to prepare a speech. The note was around 42KB (25,000+ characters) and was just text + formatting (highlights, bold, size changes, hyperlinks, etc.). I reached a point where the performance problems began to impede my progress. For example, copying a block of text took several seconds to complete. I would be typing a sentence and I would have to pause to wait for the text to appear (I'm a fast typist but not that fast!). I almost moved my stuff to Pages to get my work done, but decided to re-start Evernote first.

Restarting Evernote seemed to solve the problem for a while. After more editing (say, 15 minutes or so of nearly constant typing and/or reformatting?) the slowness returns, but I am able to remedy it by performing an EN restart again.

I have seen similar (but less dramatic) performance issues when editing smaller notes, but there seems to be relationship between the amount of content and the slowness problems. For example, I just restarted EN because a 5k (3600+ word) note was starting to get sluggish.

I'd classify this as an annoyance for me, but not a deal-breaker. Most of the time I'm working with small notes and see no performance problems.

Environment details:

Mid-2013 Macbook Air

1.7 GHz Intel Core i7

8GB RAM

OS X Yosemite 10.10.2

Evernote 6.0.7

• Level 5*

If you are NOT running Ver 6.0.7 and are still experiencing performance issues, then you may want to update to Ver 6.0.7.

Today we release version 6.0.7. 

. . .
  • Performance Fixes
    • Made improvements to high CPU issue and general note editing sluggishness but we still have not resolved all of the issues in this area.  We are working on a much bigger fix for the next release that we hope will finally resolve this issue for everyone.
    • Made improvements to high CPU issue and general work chat sluggishness especially around sharing a note.
<snip other fixes>

At this time, this is only for download customers.  We have submitted this release to the Mac App Store and once Apple reviews and gives us approval we'll release it to customers.  This typically takes about a week.  As always, let us know if you run into any new issues with this release.

If you are running Ver 6.0.7 and STILL experience these issues, then I'd suggest that you...

Submit a BUG report via an EN Support Ticket. In the Support Form, select "Report a bug", and start the Ticket Title with "BUG:  " to make it clear.  Reporting a bug should be available to all users, including Free Account owners.  Other Ticket types available to Free users are "Data Loss", "Crash", & "Sync Issue".

Just checking back in. I still have the problem on the most current version of Evernote downloaded from the Evernote website. I'm still getting the slow downs. It seems to be a function of time rather than note size and is resolved by a restart of the app, which is annoying but not a complete show stopper for the time being. 

I'm running a late 2009 Macbook Pro, with Yosemite OS X, 4-gig ram, and a 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor.   I am also a premium user.

After doing the upgrade to 6.0.7, I have noticed a definite improvement. There is still some slow response time, but not nearly as bad as it has been.  The improvement may keep me hanging on to EN as we wait for a complete fix.   :)

Thanks EN.  Keeping working on the solution.

I have tried the 6.0.7 update, and I'm now running  6.0.7 (451372 Direct). Still a premium user, still on an iMac (20-inch, mid-2009), 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, on Yosemite (10.10.2), still having the slowdown (for me it is most noticeable when I am trying to navigate around text using the arrow keys, which I do frequently).

It's my impression that the problem goes away when I set sync to manual. As you can imagine, that is a less-than-ideal solution. One of the beautiful things about Evernote is that I'm never afraid of losing my stuff or of not having something on, say, my phone that I typed at my desk. If I have to sync manually, that feature has vanished.

I like Evernote; I know you're working to fix the problem; please keep after it, since it's not fixed yet.

same issue has been happening for me since the upgrade to 6. now on 6.05 - typing any character takes approximately 15 seconds to appear! 15 SECONDS FOR A CHARACTER TO APPEAR!!

the app is entirely unusable since the upgrade to 6. 

until you actually get this app working how about posting a downgrade so we can keep working? this is nothing short of ridiculous.

anyone have an alternative app they're using until evernote gets their act together on this?

k

Same problem here. Mostly happens with larger text notes (+ 100 lines). Very annoying. Only solution is create separate small notes and copy and paste them in one note later on.

Working on an Macbook Air 2013 with Yosemite and Evernote 6.0.5.

Hope this problem gets fixed soon.

Mid 2012 Air with i7 and 8GB. Same issues. Yesterday I stopped using the app, typed meeting notes in Word, then pasted them into the Evernote Web client. If something happened to corrupt my local data and it has to be downloaded again then fine. If it's the client then that's not acceptable in a product.

+1

I'm experiencing this problem as well, using app store version 6.0.5 (451190), running 10.10.1 on a 20-inch iMac, Mid 2009, 2.26 GHz Intel Core Duo 2, 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3.

Not the highest-end machine out there, but this problem is new and unique to Evernote.

Thanks for working on it, hope to get a fix soon.

Unfortunately after working ~1 week, the problem is back. It seems to show up after working for > 30 minutes and is fixed for a while by closing and reopening Evernote. I think this excludes local data corruption during the upgrade process as I've rebuilt my database from the website. On my PC/iOS devices all is well, so I think maybe my cloud database is not corrupted. 

I was thinking it was something to do with the changes for version 6.x where they are now automatically uploading changes to edited notes rather than waiting for the usual sync period: hence sometimes whilst editing a note it will attempt to upload the changes to it which causes the lags.

+1

Severe lag when using navigational arrows in notes. Spinning color wheel appears and stays for 3-8 seconds at a time. Incredibly frustrating and making work impossible. Being forced to use other tools for the time being. 

If this is not resolved, I will need to start looking for another tool...

Model: MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014)

Processor: 3 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory: 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Software: Yosemite 10.10.1 (14B25)

I was informed by tech support that my local database may have been corrupted. I did the very slow process of restore from the web copy to rebuild my local database. So far I haven't seen the slowdown issue, but as before it can take a while for the program to be open to see the slow down occur. I'll report back if this was a durable fix. 

Having similar issues here. For me, it always starts by lagging on keyboard cursor navigation (i.e. arrow keys), typing text will be okay for a little longer and then start to lag as well. Closing and reopening the note will temporarily fix the problem.

Well I took the nuclear option and reinstalled Evernote from the website and the problem appears to be solved. 

Thanks to user JMichael for this tutorial on the uninstall process. I also used the AppDelete app. I restored from a saved copy of my com.evernote database file after reinstalling Evernote. I think this suggests my application was corrupted instead of my database. Hopefully the problem doesn't recur. 

My Evernote is a direct download from the website, and I have already tried turning off the auto sync.  Still having the same sluggish issue.  It is more than a little disruptive.

As a Premium user, I love the product.  Hope you guys are able to find a fix soon.  

Thanks

We are monitoring this and trying to find the root of the problem. Can folks please try 

- turning off auto sync

- switching to the direct download version (from Evernote.com)

And let us know if either of those resolves the issue.

I'm pretty sure I have the direct download version (Version 6.0.6 451290 direct). I disabled the syncing and it is still very sluggish on my macbook pro. However I have an iMac at work and it is perfectly fine. same version. Here are the comparisons but I don't experience any of the issues when I am on my iMac at work.

iMac - Mid 2011 OS X 10.10.2

EN Version 6.0.6 direct

2.7 Ghz Core i5

8gb DDR3

LAN connection

Macbook Pro - Early 2011 OS X 10.10.2

EN Version 6.0.6 direct

2.2 Ghz Core i7

8GB DDR3

Wireless connection

The computers are similar although definitely the iMac is a little faster. But I don't know why that would explain EN being very slow only on the MB. 

I am also suffering from this problem, glad to see that I am not alone...

Using EN 6.6 on Macbook Air 10.10.2.

EN is frequently consuming 100% or more of my CPU according to my Activity Monitor

I don't know if I am using the direct download version or the Apple App store version , how do I find out? And why on earth should they be different versions?

Henrik Ahlen, Stockholm

• Level 5

We are monitoring this and trying to find the root of the problem. Can folks please try 

- turning off auto sync

- switching to the direct download version (from Evernote.com)

And let us know if either of those resolves the issue.

Same problem here. I delayed upgrading to Yosemite for awhile but finally did and now EN is taking forever just to type in a plain text note. I'm talking about delays and spinning wheels after ever other word. It's maddening. Mid 2011 MBP with 8gb of RAM. This should not be a problem. PLEASE FIX THIS.

I updated to 6.06 this morning and it became impossibly slow.  3-10 seconds between every text editing action.  Turning off sync  does NOT help.  I'm in the process of restoring from a backup to move back to 6.05...  I hope. 

mac 10.7  17gig ram.  everything about the app became slow.  clicking "about" was slow.  lots of spinning wheels.  why does every third update seem to make the app unusable?   I love evernote.  It is my work space.   but why are the updates so dangerous?    It's too bad, I was hoping to try out the new presentation feature, instead of doing copy and pastes from evernote to keynote.  

at least if my revert works, I'll create an evernote page about how to revert from a bad update and I'll just religiously follow these instructions every time into the future.  

1) make carbon copy clone back up of the working drive that has evernote

2) update evernote  - if ok YAY!  otherwise....

1) quite evernote and quit evernote in toolbar

2) move  folders in  ~/Library/Application Support/

com.evernote.Evernote
com.evernote.EvernoteHelper
Evernote
Evernote_crashed

to backup folder eg:  ~/evernote-library-application-support-folders/

3) move bad evernote application in /Applications to trash.
4) copy folders from cloned drive - /clonedrive/Users/user/Library/Application Support/
to application support folder:   ~/Library/Application Support/
com.evernote.Evernote
com.evernote.EvernoteHelper
Evernote
Evernote_crashed

....wait until the copy completely finishes. it's a lot of data... 

5) copy old evernote application from cloned drive: /Cloneddrive/Application folder to main drive: /Application folder
6) start old application in /Applications folder of main drive.   it may fail on first try, quit and start again. 

!YAY!

I just skipped the back up part this time, so I'm having to download a few weeks of data from evernote...

Maybe someone else will find these instructions useful.    Also, if you don't have a drive to clone to you can manually copy the evernote application support folders and the application to a saved folder (as described in step 2 just copy instead of move) before doing an upgrade and restore from that folder by copying back if the upgrade is unusable.  

and ya know evernote... you could add this functionality to your update process and allow users to create a revertable version prior to update and revert back to it if the update isn't to their liking...   Just a thought. 

And I noticed that Evernote remembered I had changed preferences to sync manually, so what am I missing in my backup/restore steps?    hmmmm...   ~/Library/Preferences/ 
com.evernote.ENAttachmentToPDFHelper.plist
com.evernote.ENAttachmentToPDFHelper.plist.lockfile
com.evernote.Evernote.plist
com.evernote.Evernote.plist.lockfile
com.evernote.EvernoteHelper.plist
com.evernote.EvernoteHelper.plist.lockfile
com.evernote.EvernoteThumbnailer.plist

I'm guessing?   

Same problem here.

I'm using direct download of v6.0.6 on Yosemite 10.10.2.

Computer has SSD and 16GB RAM so shouldn't be an issue with the system.

Update: Disabling the auto sync fixes the problem. Now the keyboard response is quite fast.

(Requires quitting and relaunching the software for changes to take affect.)

Same problem - incredibly annoying making EN almost impossible to work with when in a state of flow.

I've re-installed to direct download version 6.06

This Macbook Pro was new at Christmas so don't think it's an upgrade from v5

Running Yosemite 10.10.1

Macbook Pro 2.6GHz i5 (mid-2014)

Switching off auto-sync or even working offline completely makes no difference.

The delay (with or without beachball) tends to happen frequently when:

1 - pausing typing very briefly

2 - hitting return to get a new line

I'm pretty certain it's related to the changes made to syncing, where updated notes are automatically synced (whilst you are still editing them!).

Normally when I quit Evernote it quits immediately. Whenever I have the slowdown when typing a note into Evernote I quit Evernote in the hope that restarting it will cure the slowdown (it always does) and every time I quit Evernote during such a slowdown I always see a dialogue window announcing that Evernote is currently syncing and will quit when it is finished. It normally takes a few seconds (up to about ten) for the dialogue window to disappear before Evernote then quits. I'm sure this slowdown is related to the fact that that (slow) sync is taking place on a note I'm currently editing and possibly the fact I'm currently editing it is causing the sync to keep restarting and thus slow down the typing even more... it's probably some kind of race condition that doesn't always occur when editing a note, but when it does occur it ends up in a feedback loop and will keep getting slower until you quit Evernote giving it a chance to get the sync done.

Disabling automatic sync (by making it manual) seemed to fix the issue for me. I'm running 6.05, can't confirm improvement in 6.06 as another has noted. TP

Ditto to everything said above.  I have been an Evernote fan for several years.  I have been a Premium user for two years.  However, this issue is rendering the app into the "bad app" category.  Can the tech department offer a solution?  This issue needs to be resolved quickly.  Keep Evernote as one of the best apps offered!   :)

BTW, I am using a MBP (late 2009) model, with Yosemite OS X

I'm having the same experience as zexpe. Running Mac OS X 10.10.2 Yosemite and Evernote 6.0.6 (451290 Direct).

I'm pretty certain it's related to the changes made to syncing, where updated notes are automatically synced (whilst you are still editing them!).

Normally when I quit Evernote it quits immediately. Whenever I have the slowdown when typing a note into Evernote I quit Evernote in the hope that restarting it will cure the slowdown (it always does) and every time I quit Evernote during such a slowdown I always see a dialogue window announcing that Evernote is currently syncing and will quit when it is finished. It normally takes a few seconds (up to about ten) for the dialogue window to disappear before Evernote then quits. I'm sure this slowdown is related to the fact that that (slow) sync is taking place on a note I'm currently editing and possibly the fact I'm currently editing it is causing the sync to keep restarting and thus slow down the typing even more... it's probably some kind of race condition that doesn't always occur when editing a note, but when it does occur it ends up in a feedback loop and will keep getting slower until you quit Evernote giving it a chance to get the sync done.

I really liked EverNote. I doubled my ram thinking it was a memory issue. I've cleared out harddrive space. Nothing helps. Until this issue is resolved I have to give up on EN. Hopefully its resolved soon, and when it is there is a notice posted on this forum.

I also have this problem. I'm using a MBP mid-2010 with 8GB of ram. Probably 50% of the time Evernote has no lag when I'm typing in a note, but the other 50% of the time there is an annoying lag. It goes away if I reboot or restart Evernote. There doesn't appear to be a difference between short and long notes. My memory pressure is green in Activity Monitor, with about 7.5GB of 8GB used. I would have assumed it was lack of memory, except that when I restart Evernote the problem goes away.

6.0.6 has not fixed this problem for me.

Archived