Context popup gets in the way and too annoying

Mark78

First, I really DO like the new "Context" feature in Evernote Windows. 

However, the implementation of it is poor for two reasons:

First: it gets in the way of writing, when you are writing at the bottom of the note. The Context bubble blocks the path of my writing. Big no-no. User should have first priority, not what Evernote "thinks" should have priority.

Second, it constantly pops up with the same "Context" as I continue writing my note. Users aren't thick. They get it. Don't keep popping up with the same thing every few seconds.

"Context" is a good feature, however, get back to the drawing board and think like a user this time: don't get in the user's way and don't be annoying.

One more thing: let the user decide the outside sources to use. Many of use who use Evernote are professionals in our respective fields. I would find the feature much more relevant if I selected the sources which are relevant to me, not the general purpose sources that Evernote "thinks" are relevant.

Again, user first, not Evernote.

Thanks!

Mark

Evernote user since May 2010

• 2 weeks later...

My account is not premium and as far as I know I am not using the Beta version. The documentation says that I can turn off Context in preferences but I don't see a preferences link in my account.

My issue is the same as posted above - the context box is very annoying as it obscures the typing area. I would like to turn it off, at least until it is made more user friendly.

My account is not premium and as far as I know I am not using the Beta version. The documentation says that I can turn off Context in preferences but I don't see a preferences link in my account.

My issue is the same as posted above - the context box is very annoying as it obscures the typing area. I would like to turn it off, at least until it is made more user friendly.

Right - this is the bug. Context is only available in Premium, so there's no way for non-premium to turn it off without a registry hack. The beta version fixes this.

Right - this is the bug. Context is only available in Premium, so there's no way for non-premium to turn it off without a registry hack. The beta version fixes this.

Thank you. How might I acquire the Beta version? Registry hacks are beyond my confidence level.

Thank you. How might I acquire the Beta version? Registry hacks are beyond my confidence level.

The easiest is to check the box in Tools->Options/General: "Update to pre-release version when available". (ok out of that) Then Help->CheckForUpdates. After updating, you can either remain on the beta channel, or go back to options and uncheck the box.

The easiest is to check the box in Tools->Options/General: "Update to pre-release version when available". (ok out of that) Then Help->CheckForUpdates. After updating, you can either remain on the beta channel, or go back to options and uncheck the box.

Thank you; that did the trick for me and I switched back out of the beta channel. I'll decline updates until I see one saying that the context issue is resolved. Thanks again!

Archived