backup of evernote

Hi.

I want to backup my database via the notebooks and stacks.. not just notes*.. Does anyone know of an applescript or sh script that will export the notes related to the specific notebook. And perhaps even label the export to the notebook.  I have now manually gone to each notebook and exported it.  I would like to automate this.  Thoughts? thanks

• Level 5*

You'd need to export notebook-by-notebook. I've implemented this in Windows PowerShell; you'd need to figure out something equivalent in AppleScript. I'm guessing it's possible, but I'm not a Mac user or Evernote for AppleScript guru.

You'd need to export notebook-by-notebook. I've implemented this in Windows PowerShell; you'd need to figure out something equivalent in AppleScript. I'm guessing it's possible, but I'm not a Mac user or Evernote for AppleScript guru.

thanks jefito… for some reason I am having trouble getting the export function to work in apple script… what version are you using? I'm using 5.2.1… I have an applescript but it keeps bailing , error message..""Evernote got an error: The operation couldn’t be completed. Operation not permitted" number 1"  

actually from roaming the net, this error is because this EN(5.2.1) is from the app store and not a direct download…. but I want 5.2.1 oh well..will spend more time on this.

​Thanks… to all others, I realize I can export notebooks manually..I want to automate this process.. does anyone have a working applescript? thanks

I'm not an applescript expert.. I found this on line and can't get it to work... 

perhaps there is a knowledgable applescript person here in the forum that can get it to work. thanks

-- PURPOSE: Export all notes in Evernote to an ENEX file so that

-- the notes can be backed up to an external drive or to the cloud

set curDate to do shell script "date +’%Y%m%d’"

-- Change the path below to the location you want the notes to be exported

set exportPath to "/Users/name/bkup/Evernotxe-" & curDate & "/"

do shell script "if [ ! -e " & exportPath & " ]; then mkdir " & exportPath & "; fi;"

do shell script "mkdir " & exportPath

with timeout of (30 * 60) seconds

tell application "Evernote"

repeat with nb in every notebook of application "Evernote"

set theName to the name of nb

set matches to find notes "notebook: " & "\"" & theName & "\""

set f to exportPath & theName & "-" & curDate & ".enex"

export matches to f

if (count of matches) > 0 then

set p to POSIX path of f

do shell script "/usr/bin/gzip -f " & quoted form of p

end if

end repeat

end tell

end timeout

I have figured out the issues… There is a Bug in EN 6, where applescripts DO NOT work. and then on top of this, EN 5.X must be downloaded from website for applescripts to work (NOT from app store)  So, this is a double whammy… If you want to run the apple script, do NOT use EN6, and find 5.X as a download..dmg file.

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...

The export function in the Applescript program linked to above still doesn't seem to be working with the latest Evernote from the app store.  Is this a known bug that just hasn't been fixed yet, or am I doing something wrong?

On January 11, 2016 at 2:52 AM, bshannon said:

The export function in the Applescript program linked to above still doesn't seem to be working with the latest Evernote from the app store.  Is this a known bug that just hasn't been fixed yet, or am I doing something wrong?

I'm not sure if any work from the app store.. get it direct from evernote (if it's still possible) I have 2 scripts that work.. NOT from app store... 1) to export enex, other to export HTML incase evernote goes away and the files are more in an industry standard... I did NOT write these.. I pulled them from the interwebs and massaged them! 2 different scripts

HTML OUTput

set outputpath to (path to desktop as text) & "Evernote Test"
do shell script "mkdir -p " & quoted form of POSIX path of outputpath

set allmynotes to find notes
    export allmynotes to outputpath format HTML
end tell

ENEX OUTPUT

set curDate to do shell script "date +'%Y-%m-%d-%H-%M-%S'"

with timeout of (30 * 60) seconds

tell application "Finder"

set setBackupfolder to "/Users/YOURFOLDERHERE/" as POSIX file -- set backup folder path

-- confirm valid path exists

if setBackupfolder exists then

else

display dialog "The backup path you set does not exist. Please go to line 3, set a valid path and re-run this script." giving up after 99999999

error number -128

end if

set backupFolder to setBackupfolder as text

end tell

-- activate evernote

activate

-- wait for evernote to come to the front

set frontAppname to "whatever"

repeat while frontAppname is not "Evernote"

tell application "System Events" to set frontAppname to name of first process where frontmost is true

end repeat

delay 1 -- wait a little more

end tell

-- do the backup

set allNotebooks to every notebook

repeat with currentNotebook in allNotebooks

set notebookName to (the name of currentNotebook)

set allNotes to every note in notebook notebookName

if every note in notebook notebookName exists then -- proceed if notebook is not empty

set dateString to (current date) as text -- get the date

set newDatestring to {}

repeat with i in dateString -- change colon in time stamp (changed to slash in Finder) to underscore

if (i as string) is ":" then

set end of newDatestring to "_"

else

set end of newDatestring to (i as string)

end if

end repeat

set exportFilename to (backupFolder & notebookName & " - Backed up on " & newDatestring & ".enex")

export allNotes to exportFilename

end if

end repeat

-- confirmation dialog

display dialog "The backup of your Evernote notebooks is complete." buttons {"View Backup Folder", "OK"} default button 2 giving up after 99999999

if the button returned of the result is "View Backup Folder" then

activate

open backupFolder

end tell

end if

end tell

end timeout

Archived