Death Of Doxie

So now that the dust has settled on the loss of eye-fi/Evernote support I'm left with a terrible gap in my life. I used the Doxie to scan contracts and the mark up and sign them in Evernote.

This was perfect as then all my contracts were all in Evernote and could be modified on the road VERY easily.

I know there are some cludgy ways to get this running again using flicker and Picassa accounts but is that safe to be uploading contracts to? It doesn't feel so secure to me.

Does anyone here have any ideas? Thanks in advance

Matt Hennessy

Well the DOXIE works just fine, but the Eye-Fi card that used to send the scans directly to every note w/o needing to hook up to a computer no longer supports evernote.  So what was a simple scan and show up in evernote workflow is now, scan, download to laptop, export to desktop, import to Evernote workflow and thats no good.

For example - I could be in LA and a document could show up in the Mail in Chicago.  My wife could just toss it thru the Doxie and wirelessly it would be in my evernote ready for annotation in less than a minute.

This is no longer possible - Mine, and others on this forum, stopped sending to EN 1 month ago.

Matt

Unfortunately no.  This workflow requires a Mac to be on and online for the Doxie and/or Eye-Fi to communicate with and then the mac sends to evernote.  

The old workflow went straight from the cloud to Evernote.  This is optimal.

Before you say Im just being resistant to change, I want you to understand that if I COULD make that workflow work, I would.  We have a Mac mini setup as a server at the house that would be suitable for this process but the problem is the Eye-Fi Card inside our digital camera is already syncing to that mac and as of now Ive not found a way to sync multiple cards to a single mac.  I will continue to try this but so far no dice.

Right now lets say the card is Syncing to my laptop and I'm on the road I wouldn't be able to get the scans until I get that laptop on wifi.  I don't always travel with my laptop.  

Ok but in reading that article again from your post I see that the ScanSnap scanners do exactly what the Doxie + Eye-fi combo use to do.  Ima going to call them tomorrow and probably order one of their mobile scanners.

Thanks!  Should solve the problem.  Doxie bout to hit the good Ebay! lol

Hi Matt,

Did you consider the Doxie go wifi?

Battery powered wifi version which has just been launched. Was offered at low cost to those of us who already had a Doxie. I think the early orders are now shipping.

Regards

Chris

Sure I did consider the Wi-fi model but to retain my workflow I would have to subscribe to yet AONTHER could service. $229+monthly service charge is pretty steep to retain a workflow that was formerly $179 flat and was advertised to me on the Evernote homepage, before they ditched Doxie for ScanSnap.

I was actually able to Cludge somthing together using multiple users on my Mac mini that stays on all the time at home to see multiple eye-fi cards and the "folder action" workflow gazumped described above that is currently working.

Thanks for the help all.

Hi Matt,

Not sure I understand where you are seeing $229+ monthly service charge for a Doxie wifi model?

As a customer I got a wifi model for a one off charge of $149.

Best regards

Chris

Hi Matt,

Yes, you are correct, it seemed silly not to!

I will send scans to a folder on my computer that will be an 'Import Folder' in Evernote. 

Seems a simple way of dealing with it.

Best regards

Chris

The way the old card and the scan snap scanner work skips that whole computer step altogether and sends directly from the scanner to Evernote.

That's the workflow I really need. I know having a direct to Evernote folder on the computer is easy, but it's really a pain when I want to go directly from scanner to Evernote on my iPad and my computer is, turned off and in another state ;).

Hi Matt,

Got to agree, that it is always annoying changing our methods, but guess needs must sometimes.

Never used mine the same way as you.

I also have a ScanSnap S1300 in my study and find that really easy and a useful way of scanning.

Hope you get it sorted.

Best regards

Chris

So the old workflow was extremely simple.  The Ey-Fi Card would automatically send the scans directly to my evernote account.  Co Computer needed.  Scan and 30 seconds later - boom its in my default account and available on mobile.

Eye-Fi does NOT have dropbox support.  Maybe the new Mobie card does, but only if you pay a monthly subscription fee.  I can set up the Eye-Fi card to scan to my home server, aim the dowload folder at dropbox, Set IFTTT to send to evernote, but that can take as long as 15 min depending on TFTTT Trigger time.

Not the end of the world, but when your used to 30 second response time and you have to wait 15 minutes, thats not really all that cool.

As I stated earlier, I setup a second user on the server, pointed the scanner at that and created a "Folder Action" script to send the scans to Evernote.  That works and Ill I have to wait for is the Server to pull the photo down (~1 min) and then for Evernote to Auto-Sync (Set to 5 min).  So that makes this process 1-6 min depending on when during the Evernote Auto-Synce cycle the scan shows up.  This is still a drag, but it is acceptable.

I would buy the Doxie Wi-Fi but they don't support Evernote directly either.  The Scan Snap does.  Eventually I will cross grade to that model.

MH

Archived