Quced3E.png

Step 7: Left click once on "reinstall using recommended settings"

Outcome: Same as steps 4 through 7

------------------

System Information

------------------

Time of this report: 12/19/2014, 04:43:02

Machine name: RED

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.140706-1506)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: Acer

System Model: Aspire 1810TZ

BIOS: InsydeH2O Version v1.3308

Processor: Genuine Intel® CPU           U4100  @ 1.30GHz (2 CPUs), ~1.3GHz

Memory: 4096MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 3998MB RAM

Page File: 1864MB used, 6131MB available

Windows Dir: C:\Windows

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)

System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)

DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled

DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

------------

DxDiag Notes

------------

Display Tab 1: No problems found.

Sound Tab 1: No problems found.

Sound Tab 2: No problems found.

Input Tab: No problems found.

Please ask for any further information as required.

Thanks!

• Level 5*

Hi - I've installed previous EN versions on W7 without any problem.  Is this an update or a brand new install? 

If you're updating from a previous version it might be an idea to reinstall that version (if you know it) and then uninstall it (again) before retrying this one. 

If this is a first time install,  there's a general system cleaner that I use,  though it's not supported by Evernote - Glary Utilities free http://www.glarysoft.com/ - that may resolve outstanding issues preventing this operation.  Install it and run the 'one click' cleanup.

• Level 5

It is safer to let other users do Evernote's Quality Control work. 

So I scheduled my install for Jan 16, 2015 (version 6.8.1.6061 GA Release)

I play it safe with Evernote upgrades by sitting on the sidelines for at least 4 weeks. I will watch this forum for the pro and con comments about the installation and operational issues. If things get too hot, I will push out the install an additional month.

That first error message is coming out of Windows Installer. MSI is trying to create the rollback scripts but something went horribly wrong. And the 2nd one is just reporting that the install failed. (the 3rd one is from Windows)

Reboot (to make sure any file locks are really released), and make sure you don't have an anti-virus program running when installing.

Hi - I've installed previous EN versions on W7 without any problem.  Is this an update or a brand new install? 

If you're updating from a previous version it might be an idea to reinstall that version (if you know it) and then uninstall it (again) before retrying this one. 

If this is a first time install,  there's a general system cleaner that I use,  though it's not supported by Evernote - Glary Utilities free http://www.glarysoft.com/ - that may resolve outstanding issues preventing this operation.  Install it and run the 'one click' cleanup.

Hi everyone,

Thank you to gazumped, dconnet and jbenson2.

I started by trying gawumped's suggested fixes and they worked fine so there was no need to troubleshoot any further. Here is some additional information in case this is helpful to anyone else:

I worked as an IT professional and was moderately skilled at troubleshooting issues like these but changed industry about 5 years ago and am out of touch with the field

This problem has been happening since I was first prompted to update evernote on my windows netbook about 1 or 2 months ago

I have been using evernote on my Acer netbook with windows 7 home for at least 2 years. 

I have been using evernote on my Samsung Galaxy SG3 with android version 4.3 for at least 2 years. Current evernote for android version is 6.3

App and desktop are both set to update automatically when connected to wifi and synced to the same account

I used revo uninstaller to run the standard uninstall of the previous version of evernote on my desktop (not sure what version, but probably the one before the current version as I have it set to auto update). After the standard uninstall, revo helps locate and remove additional unnecessary files, folders, registry keys and values that are usually left over. More info here: http://www.revouninstaller.com/

Then I ran the .exe file with no problems. The only unusual thing I had to do was log into evernote again through my desktop.

Evernote 5.8.1.6061 has been working normally on my desktop for the last 2 days with no data loss or any further issues.

Archived