New to Evernote

I became aware of Evernote by accident and from what I have read it appears to be a program that will be of significant benefit. Here is the problem. Evernote offers many products or versions of the same product. 

Example- I am a windows user at the office. Evernote offers Evernote for Windows Desktop - In addition , there appears to be a Beta version called Evernote5 . I also use an Android Tablet as well as an Android Phone. I don't know which version I should load on the Windows office computer running Windows version 7 . I have no idea how the softward integrates across platforms . In my case - Windows / office computer and Samsung Tablet 10.1 ( Android ) . If I can't figure out these basic questions how can i determine if I need the free version or the Professional Version ? 

All of  my issues would most likely be resolved in a 5 minute phone call if there was a support phone number to call. Sadly there isn't . Next possibility would be an e-mail address but again I couldn't find one. 

From the Tutorials i have watched on YOUTUBE , I like this program . I need some basic information about the sequence of downloading the Windows version ( which windows version makes sense ? ) The app for the Tablet . What to do first ? Does it matter what sequence in downloading the software. 

I default to doing nothing rather than struggle through a setup which is not well defined and getting myself in trouble . This can result in a major loss of time trying to figure things out after the fact. 

I'm impressed with the number of offices Evernote declares they have on the web site. Would be much more impressed with a phone number or e-mail address for Support . 

If anyone has a solution for this I would be very interested . 

• Level 5

Jump in with the easiest version - Evernote Windows.

The Web version and the Mobile versions won't make much sense until you are comfortable with the basics.

Also, avoid the beta versions

Start simple. Go free. Don't worry about the Premium version yet.

If you have a hobby, try storing notes with info on the hobby.

My general recommendations involve:

1. Keep the number of Notebooks to a minimum

2. Short notes

3. Use tags

4. Consistent structure for titles. I like to begin each title with the yymmdd date code.

5. Throw in a key word or two to help with the search.

Give it a try. The support for free users is here in the forum, not at Evernote.

• Level 5*

What JB2 said plus..

• Go to Evernote.com in your preferred browser on the windows device
  • Download the software it offers - the website will choose the correct version for your Windows computer
  • Go through the set-up process for a new account using your main email address (this is where Evernote will send any messages) and a unique password
  • As a new user you'll get a series of 'how to get started' emails
  • Try it out for a while to learn how things work.

Have fun.. :)

Windows 7 - Samsung Tablet 

For all you Evernote experts , I have a few basic questions . I hope you will offer some advice . 

Assuming I use the my office windows 7 computer as the primary device , will Evernote appear on the tablet with the same information as it does on my desktop office computer ? Does this require any specific action to maintain the same information on both devices. Is the mapping the same or is the appearance different ? f I add or make changes to notes , add folders or other modifications on the tablet , will they show up on my office computer ? 

Is there a preferred sequence to downloading Evernote - Windows first or Tablet app first ? Does it matter ? 

Thank you , 

Pauldee 

• Level 5

Think of the Evernote cloud as home base.

If you make an addition or change to the Evernote Windows desktop, you will have to hit the F9 button to manually sync the changes up to the cloud, or let the automatic sync occur. Mine is set for every 15 minutes.

In order to see the additions or changes in your tablet, you need to sync down from the cloud to your tablet.

I would recommend starting off with the Windows version first. It is easier to operate. Once you get some info into the program and understand the sync process, then you could try the tablet. If you sync properly, you will have the same info on the Windows computer, the tablet, and the web.

Think of the Evernote cloud as home base.

If you make an addition or change to the Evernote Windows desktop, you will have to hit the F9 button to manually sync the changes up to the cloud, or let the automatic sync occur. Mine is set for every 15 minutes.

In order to see the additions or changes in your tablet, you need to sync down from the cloud to your tablet.

I would recommend starting off with the Windows version first. It is easier to operate. Once you get some info into the program and understand the sync process, then you could try the tablet. If you sync properly, you will have the same info on the Windows computer, the tablet, and the web.

Thank you very much for your suggestions. I have been reluctant to start this process if I wasn't reasonably sure it would work as needed. From your comments it's clear that I can sync as needed between devices. I have just started to use the tablet as an alternative to my laptop. Evernote would be a very welcome addition as an alternative to my dependence on Outlook. Since the tablet I have is not affiliated with any network such as Verizon , I will have to be in a wifi zone to sync the tablet . This is not a problem these days. Again , thanks for the valuable advise. 

Hi. Just to expand JBensons's advice for you or anyone else new to Enernote (EN). Being a cloud service does not mean you can Sync between devices. As JB said you are Syncing [b[to and from the EN Servers. So no matter what device(s) - also called client(s) you are accessing your Evernote account from, a good rule of thumb to help prevent Sync Errors, Conficting Notes and data loss, is to:

1) When opening Evernote from any device, *always* ensure that the very *first* thing you do is to manually Sync DOWN from the EN Servers.

2) Then ensure the very *last* thing you do before exiting out of EN - again ony any device, is ti manually Sync UP to the EN Servers.

3) BOTH of the above steps are in addition to the timed auto-Syncs you set according to your preference on each device.

Cheers!

Archived