how to get rid of "related to what you're working on" popup

jimNH

FYI: I checked this in 5.8.1. Turning off the checkbox in the options will make Context go away. However, it will not update the note you are currently viewing until you switch notes. (So you don't need to tweak the context source any more)

I figured it out. If you're like me and have Context enabled despite not being a Premium member and have no "Context" tab in Tools -> Options to turn it off (screenshot), you can disable it via regedit. First quit Evernote via File -> Exit to prevent values from being overwritten then open regedit and head to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Evernote\Evernote

Change ShowContext (REG_DWORD) from 1 to 0. Relaunch Evernote and Context should be gone.

I figured it out. If you're like me and have Context enabled despite not being a Premium member and have no "Context" tab in Tools -> Options to turn it off (screenshot), you can disable it via regedit:

HKCU\Software\Evernote\Evernote

Change ShowContext (REG_DWORD) from 1 to 0. Quit Evernote then relaunch and Context should be gone.

Wanted to hop in and thank NoContext for posting this tip. Those damn related notes pop-ups were driving me crazy. Excellent regedit fu here.

I figured it out. If you're like me and have Context enabled despite not being a Premium member and have no "Context" tab in Tools -> Options to turn it off (screenshot), you can disable it via regedit:

Change ShowContext (REG_DWORD) from 1 to 0. Quit Evernote then relaunch and Context should be gone.

We're still trying to figure out why you're seeing them. It's definitely a bug. My free account has ShowContext set to 1, and I don't see them.

(BTW, you should quit Evernote before changing the registry value or it may get overwritten)

(BTW, you should quit Evernote before changing the registry value or it may get overwritten)

Good call. I edited the instructions.

We're still trying to figure out why you're seeing them. It's definitely a bug. My free account has ShowContext set to 1, and I don't see them.

Possibly germane: I have beta versions enabled and initially saw the Context feature in a prerelease.

EDIT: besides the popups, the Context pane at the bottom of notes seemed fully functional.

Possibly germane: I have beta versions enabled and initially saw the Context feature in a prerelease.

Were you also seeing the popups in the beta version? (My suspicion is that this is related to the upgrade path)

I just had another thought on this (haven't tested yet, but will) - for the notes the non-premium users are seeing Context, is that a personal note? Or maybe a note that is shared from a Premium/Business user?

Were you also seeing the popups in the beta version? (My suspicion is that this is related to the upgrade path)

Yes.

for the notes the non-premium users are seeing Context, is that a personal note? Or maybe a note that is shared from a Premium/Business user?

All my notes are personal. I have never interacted with a shared note.

I'm a non-Premium user and like others I am annoyed by the "related to what you're working on" persistent popup. I searched for the registry keys that No Context suggested but could not find them. (I'm running Win7.) None of my notes are shared. Is there somewhere else I can turn off Show Context?

I searched for the registry keys that No Context suggested but could not find them. (I'm running Win7.) None of my notes are shared. Is there somewhere else I can turn off Show Context?

I run Windows 7 as well. Did you check to make sure you were in HKCU rather than HKLM? Also, Evernote\Evernote is not a typo; there really is an Evernote subkey beneath another Evernote key. Finally, "ShowContext" is Camel Case; there's no space between the words. I guess there's a chance that it doesn't exist and needs to be created. Data type is DWORD.

I found the hkey line in regedit. It was the HKCU/HKLM thing that threw me because I don't see either of those in my version of regedit (v6.1). I am totally out of my depth in regedit, but I read that HKCU and HKLM are aliases of HKEY_USERS. So I think I am in the right place. However, changing that key to 0 did not solve the problem.

For the Evernote employee who is participating in this thread: Note that the popups don't appear for every note. Some notes have an area below the note where the Context is displayed via a Show All/Hide toggle. Even with Hide selected, the popups persist with some notes. Some notes with the Context area don't produce a popup at all. However, if a note does not have a Context area defined underneath, there is no popup. I hope that information helps when troubleshooting this bug.

HKCU and HKLM are abbreviations:

HKCU = HKEY_CURRENT_USER

HKLM = HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

I edited the instructions and replaced HKCU with HKEY_CURRENT_USER.

HKEY_USERS is meant for global defaults that apply to all users.

Also, make sure you are fully exiting the program before making changes. Pressing the 'X' in the corner is not enough. You need to go to File -> Exit from the main window or Right-click on the Notification Area icon and choose "Quit Evernote". You'll know it's done correctly if the Evernote icon disappears from the Notification Area, and you'll probably also get a message warning that Clipper functionality is about to be disabled.

Success! Thanks for your patience, No Context. I made sure that I fully exited both Evernote AND the registry. Indeed, I had to change that key again because it had been overwritten. I love it when something finally works!

Evernote engineers: I've been looking for a reason to go premium because I do use Evernote for everything. But your free product is just so darned good that I don't need any of the premium services. I just didn't want to have to pay to disable a "feature" that I didn't ask for. I hope you get this bug fixed.

The new "Context" keeps popping-up. It's always wrong, unhelfpul, distracting and annoying. I don't even understand why I have it; it's a premium feature and I haven't made the choice for premium because of things like this.

I want to turn it off. And no, I'm not going to edit my registry to do that. For twenty years I haven't edited my registry or changed the oil in my car myself. It's a bug and I expect it to be fixed.

I want to turn it off. And no, I'm not going to edit my registry to do that. For twenty years I haven't edited my registry or changed the oil in my car myself. It's a bug and I expect it to be fixed.

Yes, it's a bug. And we haven't figured out how to reproduce it. (The only current work around is editing the registry - Premium users don't need to hack the registry as we show the Context Options page - the checkbox in that page toggles the registry bit)

From some other reports, it sounds like logging out of EN and then logging back in may fix it - if that works, could you let us know? thx!

dconnet, I was seeing the behavior in the Windows app, so I don't see how to "log-out" of that. I've been closing it on and off since I first saw the behavior and it didn't make a difference. But on your suggestion, I did close it again, and I've not seen it again since. I'll let you know if it comes back.

dconnet, I was seeing the behavior in the Windows app, so I don't see how to "log-out" of that. I've been closing it on and off since I first saw the behavior and it didn't make a difference. But on your suggestion, I did close it again, and I've not seen it again since. I'll let you know if it comes back.

Under the File menu, there's a "Sign out" item. Logging out of Windows or rebooting will have the same effect :-)

Echo the sentiment about the pop-up: amazingly irritating - your UX testers must have high frustration levels.

I'm lucky that I could turn off the pop-up as a premium user. However, my problem is that I find the context shown at the bottom of my notes very useful, but have had to turn it off to stop the pop-ups. 

Any way of just stopping the pop-ups?

From some other reports, it sounds like logging out of EN and then logging back in may fix it - if that works, could you let us know? thx!

I tried this on a separate installation where I hadn't previously applied the ShowContext = 0 registry fix and it did seem to work.

I am a premium user and excited to see this new feature added for Windows until I tried it.  The popup appears anytime I type something in a note, if the note is long enough that I have to scroll to see the context area.  I has potential but I don't need it to check every line I type.  I guess I will be turning it off until it gets fixed.

No Context & dconnect:  can you give me a link or a brief explanation what regidit is, guessing maybe a 3rd party softwear, & then how to -->

HKCU\Software\Evernote\Evernote  -->

Change ShowContext (REG_DWORD) from 1 to 0 ?

I know it is probably real simple but dont have much experience editing registry keys, makes me feel a bit like someone just learning to operate windows/surf web/use word, lol, hard to comprehend others not knowing because for me it is like second nature?

mp7777, try logging out from the File menu then logging in again (hopefully you remember your password). If that doesn't work, try the .reg file from this post:

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/79342-how-to-get-rid-of-related-to-what-youre-working-on-popup/page-2#entry335521

The file accomplishes the same thing as the instructions. You might need to right-click and "Save As". Make sure Evernote is shut down (File menu -> Exit). Merge the .reg file, say "yes" at the warning, then restart Evernote.

• Level 5

Sorry about this bug, the Context notification is only meant to pop up once each time you navigate to a note. We've located the issue and the fix will be available soon. In the meantime, you will need to disable Context manually to work around this issue. You can do this by opening Tools -> Options -> Context and unchecking "Show Context". If you don't have a Context tab in Options, you will need to exit Evernote completely and set ShowContext to 0 in the registry (please be careful when updating the registry and make sure that you've updated your Evernote database first).

@emerick, as a Software Developer what your doing is complete BS and you don't have me fooled. Your essentially getting "free" users to pay for the premium subscription just so that they can turn this annoying feature off.

Just so that the world knows, this is an EASY FIX and is almost DEFINITELY INTENTIONAL.

I suggest you fix your garbage and stop reverting to old Microsoft tactics before someone starts an #EVERNOTESUCKS hashtag. I had great respect for EVERNOTE before but that's quickly dwindling at the moment.

• Level 5*

@emerick, as a Software Developer what your doing is complete BS and you don't have me fooled. Your essentially getting "free" users to pay for the premium subscription just so that they can turn this annoying feature off.

Just so that the world knows, this is an EASY FIX and is almost DEFINITELY INTENTIONAL.

I suggest you fix your garbage and stop reverting to old Microsoft tactics before someone starts an #EVERNOTESUCKS hashtag. I had great respect for EVERNOTE before but that's quickly dwindling at the moment.

Oh? And if they fix it in the next release are you going to come back and admit that you were wrong? Would he publicly promise a fix if they weren't planning on fixing it?

As a software developer, surely you know that bugs and regressions do happen, and even exhaustive testing can't catch everything.

Emerick, can you give more detailed instructions for turning off "Show Context" in the registry? Not a developer but I use EN heavily and would really like to turn off this annoying feature. I've tried turning it off in Options but it's not available there. I'm running most recent version on a PC.

Oh God, thank you No Context for the registry hack to stop this. Those popups were sending me batty and I've used Evernote for a couple of hours over two days while pricing work. I was ready to come on here swearing abuse so thanks for stopping me.

I am also a free-user and have the constant Context balloons popping up. I made a table in my note and every time I used the arrow key to go to the next table cell the Context balloon would pop back up if that helps with finding the bugs.

Using Evernote Windows Client 5.8.1.6061 (274061) on Windows 8.1

Sorry about this bug, the Context notification is only meant to pop up once each time you navigate to a note. We've located the issue and the fix will be available soon. In the meantime, you will need to disable Context manually to work around this issue. You can do this by opening Tools -> Options -> Context and unchecking "Show Context". If you don't have a Context tab in Options, you will need to exit Evernote completely and set ShowContext to 0 in the registry (please be careful when updating the registry and make sure that you've updated your Evernote database first).

So, it's not a bug, it's a feature!

Emerick says it is "meant to pop-up once each time you navigate to a note." That doesn't work for me. I do casework, no cases are related, but Evernote isn't smart enough to realize that. All my cases look "related" to Evernote's algorithm. Every time I click on a case-related note, it "reminds" me of any one of dozens of other unrelated cases.

I can turn it off if I pay for Premium. So here's how I decide whether to upgrade: I don't pay for premium software when the freemium version doesn't work for me. Should I expect the paid version to work better than the free one? Is that your conversion funnel? You try to convert me to a premium customer by offering to make annoying things go away? Ads at least I would understand. Not this. Not gonna happen.

I can turn it off if I edit my registry? Again, not gonna happen.

Another check-mark in the "look for another solution" box ...

I figured it out. If you're like me and have Context enabled despite not being a Premium member and have no "Context" tab in Tools -> Options to turn it off (screenshot), you can disable it via regedit. First quit Evernote via File -> Exit to prevent values from being overwritten then open regedit and head to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Evernote\Evernote

Change ShowContext (REG_DWORD) from 1 to 0. Relaunch Evernote and Context should be gone.

Thanks for this. This stupid Context feature started popping up today every five seconds while typing in a note without any way of disabling it.

I just want to say thanks to No Context, editing registry works for me. Being an IT, I should aware of this , or may be I am too good to make myself not to hack the registry..... usually..

Evernote pls fix this, I knew ppls may still afraid of touching the registry most of the time.

Oh Jeez.... this was driving me crazy.  Every time I started to work that stupid thing would pop up and break my concentration.  I wanted to HULK SMASH! something.

Thanks for the info on the regedit hack and the pre-release tips!

Oh Jeez.... this was driving me crazy.  Every time I started to work that stupid thing would pop up and break my concentration.  I wanted to HULK SMASH! something.

Thanks for the info on the regedit hack and the pre-release tips!

The fix is in the current (non-beta) release - v5.8.3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Changing in the registry the 3 values (ShowContext, ShowContextFLE, ShowContextNotifications) works great under location regedit: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Evernote\Evernote

But for those who doesn't want to touch the registry I also get the same effect without touching the registry by un-checking all checkboxes under  Tools / Options ---> in the tab [CONTEXT]

Archived