What's the best strategy to group together 'related notes'?

daprela

Hi everyone,

I'm a new user of Evernote premium, so I'm not familiar with every feature that EN gives. I would really appreciate some suggestions from the more experienced users about a problem.

Sometimes you find multi part articles on the web, or you find articles that you want to keep together because they are strictly related. The simplest way to do this would be to create a notebook but in my opinion it doesn't make much sense to create notebooks with just a few notes inside. Tagging the notes aith a special tag wouldn't make much sense either for just a few notes.

Since I find frequently this kind of articles I'd like to find an efficient way to keep them together and find them.

• Level 5*

One technique I use for something like this is to start the Note Title with the same acronym or abbreviation.

For example, let's assume you have found a number of tightly related articles on Evernote organization.

So you might start each Note Title with "EN Org:"

You could go further if you wanted to have a specific order by:  "EN Org P1:", "EN Org P2:", etc for each Note title.

I'm using the "P1" etc for "Part" or "Page", depending on how you'd like to look at it.

Then, you can use this to both sort by Title, and to Search, as in "intitle:"EN Org""

• Level 5
There are many ways to group related notes together. Tags, Titles, Keywords

Some of my tasks/projects involve a variety of one-off topics that will not be used again, and don't require a tag.

To group all these notes together, I add a unique search code to each of the notes. It might seem clunky, but it helps keep down the number of tags.  I don't like to create a tag that will only link to just one or two notes.

For instance, back in March 2010, I needed to buy a new in-wall oven. I had many oven- related notes with information on topics such as comparison shopping, business cards, specifications, receipt, carpenter quote, delivery info, installation photos, and warranty details.

I added my search code at the bottom of each note.

Search Code GKQFB63Y (Oven)

I also created a single note that linked all the activities together. (table of content) (screen capture)

The same thing can be done when planning a big family get together, or purchasing a car, selling a home, or any large complicated task. I can find the search code by using a general search for the topic (oven) and "Search Code".

Thank you very much Michael, that's a great suggestion. I also noticed that when you select multiple notes you have the option to create a table of content note. Have you ever used that function for this particular scope?

Thank you for your reply jbenson2, your solution is also very interesting. How have you created the note that links all the other notes? I know about the TOC note but I've never seen the format that you've attached

• Level 5*

Hi everyone,

I'm a new user of Evernote premium, so I'm not familiar with every feature that EN gives. I would really appreciate some suggestions from the more experienced users about a problem.

Sometimes you find multi part articles on the web, or you find articles that you want to keep together because they are strictly related. The simplest way to do this would be to create a notebook but in my opinion it doesn't make much sense to create notebooks with just a few notes inside. Tagging the notes aith a special tag wouldn't make much sense either for just a few notes.

Since I find frequently this kind of articles I'd like to find an efficient way to keep them together and find them.

For multi-part articles, I merge the notes together, either using the Merge facility that's built into the desktop clients, or by hand, using copy/paste.

It may well be that creating a special tag for a few notes *does* make sense. Expressing that notes are 'strictly related' is what tags are built for. But a lot depends on your use case; if you need to do this a lot, you may wind up with a large number of special tags, and then you may run into a tag management problem. It may also be possible to tag more broadly, and use keyword searches to isolate the notes that you want.

• Level 5

Thank you for your reply jbenson2, your solution is also very interesting. How have you created the note that links all the other notes? I know about the TOC note but I've never seen the format that you've attached

Good eyes! I forgot to explain the link was for an example I screen captured after searching for my search code.

Archived