Evernote for Mac 6.0.5 Released (App Store and Download)

SoftwareMarcus

Idea

We released Evernote for Mac 6.0.5 today.  This is a pretty big update from 6.0.3 and the primary goal is to fix issues.  A big reason some are seeing instability is because we rewrote a lot of the guts of the app to speed and improve reliability of sync and to build a modern foundation for better note editing.  We're working as quickly as we can to work through issues.  Our plan is to continue to focus on stability for the next few months.  6.0.5 has been released on both the Mac App Store and for download customers. 

Bug fixes and other improvements:

• Fix for note content not displaying or taking a long time to display (blank notes).  We think we've found every way this could occur but please let us know if you're still seeing it in this release.
  • Performance fix where typing speed would get really slow.  This would only affect customers that have multiple accounts and switch between them.
  • The top sync and crashing issues.

We have also brought back a few things that forum customers have requested:

• Local files can now be opened directly.  We originally removed it because of security concerns.  Now we pop up a security message first.
  • Present using multiple-notes.
Some feature improvements:
  • Export presentation as a PDF.
  • Added the ability to link Gmail contacts in Work Chat.
  • Added ability to block Work Chat contacts.
What happened to 6.0.4?
6.0.4 was supposed to be our Mac App Store release but we found an issue and pulled it and resubmitted 6.0.5.

You can download the new version from our website at https://evernote.com/download/ or if you're a direct download customer you can always go to Preferences > Software Update > Check for Updates Now.  

As always, let us know if you find any major issues in this release.

@Marcus - This is good to hear that EN will be focusing on getting the core product working/better/improved/solid before moving on to other things.  Thank you!

Can I ask for the same for the iOS apps as well? There are lots of bugs that I have submitted and it would be good to have that lineup get better with bug and function fixes over new features (excluding tables as that needs work for iOS)

hint - Spell Check   ;)

Just installed this on my desktop. When I tried to relaunch Evernote it then crashed and gave me a crash report email popup. If I send or ignore that it then goes on to say do I want to reopen? Clicking yes on this causes the whole thing to crash again, which means my desktop Evernote is stuck in some endless loop of trying to open window - crashing - send crash report - reopen Evernote - crash - etc.

SO much for it being an improvement. This is AWFUL.

Now going to bin the desktop version and use the online and ipad versions instead.

Also last time I install an update from Evernote when it comes out

:angry: :angry: :angry:

Just installed this on my desktop. When I tried to relaunch Evernote it then crashed and gave me a crash report email popup. If I send or ignore that it then goes on to say do I want to reopen? Clicking yes on this causes the whole thing to crash again, which means my desktop Evernote is stuck in some endless loop of trying to open window - crashing - send crash report - reopen Evernote - crash - etc.

Everyone, please definitely add your info and send us the crash information in the crash dialog.  We use this data to fix issues.  Also, do NOT provide that information in the forum since this is a public site.

Thanks Marcus - good to see you're all over the functionality issues and working through them.

I really don't want to harp on again about the UI etc, but there IS one issue regarding customization that DOES affect the functionality of Evernote for many.

I, like several others who have posted, often use Evernote in a narrow window. I often put EN taking up the left 1/3 of the screen, while I have another app (eg Pages, Word, Photoshop) taking up the right-hand 2/3 of the screen. Evernote is "pulled in" as far as it will go, on the left of the screen.

When I do this, due to the fact that the toolbar is not configurable, the Search field disappears off the toolbar as the right edge of the EN window is brought in. Yet the Chat button (which I'll never use) is still there. And the space to the left of the "Add New Note" button remains there. The search bar can be brought back by extending the EN window some more towards the right, but then it encroaches on my other app's workspace. An example is that I have a couple of hundred EN notes on various editing techniques in Photoshop, Lightroom, or Final Cut Pro, and each of those apps needs at least 2/3 of a screen to work properly. So I have my Evernote open on the left as I follow the techniques and hints while using the app on the right.

If the toolbar were customizable, of course, I could reposition the Search bar further to the left above the snippets, and eliminate Chat buttons, etc. We've been through that particular discussion on other threads, so no need to repeat it here.

But that quirk of the non-customizable toolbar DOES affect the function of the app insofar as the disappearance of the Search field makes it a PITA to find particular notes.

Sorry to bring this up again, but it has been bugging me for a long time, ever since you removed the ability to change the toolbar. (Which I gather can still be done in the Windows version of EN).

So my plea is that while you're looking at the fundamental functions of the app and fixing them, could you also include the toolbar thingy into your list - pretty please? ;)

• Level 5*

BUG REPORT:  Right-Click on Attachment Header Does NOT Show Proper EN Menu Items

EN Mac 6.0.5

Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10.1

EDIT #2:  This works properly in both EN Mac 5.5.2 and 6.0.3.  So, it was BROKE in Ver 6.0.5

EDIT:  This bug seems to happen mostly on EXISTING Notes.  New Notes seem to work OK.

In Ver 5.5.2, when you right-click on an Attachment, you see menu items that include:

• Save As...
  • Rename Attachment
  • View Inline

Here's a screenshot of EN Mac 5.5.2 running on Mavericks 10.9.5

EN-Mac-552-Mav-Attachment-RC.png

But, that is NOT the context menu I get in EN Mac 6.0.5 running Yosemite

EN-Mac-605-Yos-Attachment-RC.png

I can't tell you how disappointed I am to find NEW BUGS in this version.   :mellow: 

• Level 5*

BUG REPORT:  Outstanding Bugs

Except for the last one, the following bugs were previously reported in prior versions of EN Mac, and have NOT been fixed in EN Mac 6.0.5 DirectDL running on Yosemite.  Click on the "Bug Report" link to see the original report.

Date Reported

Bug

04 Dec 2014

BUG REPORT:  Search Operator "any:" Ignores "notebook:" Operator

29 Nov 2014

BUG REPORT:  False Detection of Note Edit

14 Dec 2014

BUG REPORT:  Recent Search list item for "intitle:" Searches is Not Named Properly

17 Dec 2014

BUG REPORT:  Using CMD+ to Increase Font Size Changes All Text to Same Font Size

18 Dec 2014  Ver 6.0.5

BUG REPORT:  Right-Click on Attachment Header Does NOT Show Proper EN Menu Items

Thanks Marcus - good to see you're all over the functionality issues and working through them.

I really don't want to harp on again about the UI etc, but there IS one issue regarding customization that DOES affect the functionality of Evernote for many.

I, like several others who have posted, often use Evernote in a narrow window. I often put EN taking up the left 1/3 of the screen, while I have another app (eg Pages, Word, Photoshop) taking up the right-hand 2/3 of the screen. Evernote is "pulled in" as far as it will go, on the left of the screen.

When I do this, due to the fact that the toolbar is not configurable, the Search field disappears off the toolbar as the right edge of the EN window is brought in. Yet the Chat button (which I'll never use) is still there. And the space to the left of the "Add New Note" button remains there. The search bar can be brought back by extending the EN window some more towards the right, but then it encroaches on my other app's workspace. An example is that I have a couple of hundred EN notes on various editing techniques in Photoshop, Lightroom, or Final Cut Pro, and each of those apps needs at least 2/3 of a screen to work properly. So I have my Evernote open on the left as I follow the techniques and hints while using the app on the right.

If the toolbar were customizable, of course, I could reposition the Search bar further to the left above the snippets, and eliminate Chat buttons, etc. We've been through that particular discussion on other threads, so no need to repeat it here.

But that quirk of the non-customizable toolbar DOES affect the function of the app insofar as the disappearance of the Search field makes it a PITA to find particular notes.

Sorry to bring this up again, but it has been bugging me for a long time, ever since you removed the ability to change the toolbar. (Which I gather can still be done in the Windows version of EN).

So my plea is that while you're looking at the fundamental functions of the app and fixing them, could you also include the toolbar thingy into your list - pretty please? ;)

On a similar idea would like to see a collapsable button for snippet view...

When clicking far left menu... a functionality that snippet view can auto-comeback should go hand in hand with this....

But snippet view always open makes evernote not very usable in 1/2 screen mode... Especially on Laptops... Even with 15 inch screen and maxed out native Resolution...

It simply does not fit...

In half screen due to snippet view I cant even see the tags- add more tags...

With regards to very top bar... Search should always be showing.... Not chat... 

We released Evernote for Mac 6.0.5 today.  This is a pretty big update from 6.0.3 and the primary goal is to fix issues.  A big reason some are seeing instability is because we rewrote a lot of the guts of the app to speed and improve reliability of sync and to build a modern foundation for better note editing.  We're working as quickly as we can to work through issues.  Our plan is to continue to focus on stability for the next few months.  6.0.5 has been released on both the Mac App Store and for download customers. 

Bug fixes and other improvements:

• Fix for note content not displaying or taking a long time to display (blank notes).  We think we've found every way this could occur but please let us know if you're still seeing it in this release.
  • Performance fix where typing speed would get really slow.  This would only affect customers that have multiple accounts and switch between them.
  • The top sync and crashing issues.

We have also brought back a few things that forum customers have requested:

• Local files can now be opened directly.  We originally removed it because of security concerns.  Now we pop up a security message first.
  • Present using multiple-notes.
Some feature improvements:
  • Export presentation as a PDF.
  • Added the ability to link Gmail contacts in Work Chat.
  • Added ability to block Work Chat contacts.
What happened to 6.0.4?
6.0.4 was supposed to be our Mac App Store release but we found an issue and pulled it and resubmitted 6.0.5.

You can download the new version from our website at https://evernote.com/download/ or if you're a direct download customer you can always go to Preferences > Software Update > Check for Updates Now.  

As always, let us know if you find any major issues in this release.

• Exporting presentation as a PDF, very cool stuff. Thanks for implementing!

-steve

• Level 5*
BUG REPORT: Export Note to HTML, Import into MS Word Mac Fails

Ticket# 479963

First Reported:

• Apr 28, 2014
  • EN Mac 5.5.2
  • Mac OS X Mt. Lion

Confirmed:

• Dec 18, 2014
  • EN Mac 6.0.5
  • Mac OS X Yosemite

For details see:  https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/57890-bug-export-note-to-html-import-into-ms-word-mac/

This is a MAJOR bug that, at least in part, breaks the EN promise that we are able to fully export our data (notes) out of Evernote.  HTML is probably the most common format that can be used to import into other applications.  I would hope that the problem is something simple, some minor HTML coding error.  Please fix ASAP.

I'm experiencing very slow typing (delay after I type a key from when it appears on the screen), moving the cursor around with arrow keys, and copying/pasting.  This only occurs within Evernote.  Evernote for Mac 6.0.5.

Can anything be done to fix this?  Pretty hard to type with this delay going on.

Please help!

Thanks.

Same issue as user @ludrup, since installing update, continuous crash. Uninstalling, reboot and installing does not resolve the issue. I have submitted the crash reports.

Please fix soonest.

update - with fix.

I logged a ticket with EN support and only got confirmation that the tech team was working on it.

Meantime, I started to believe the issue had to be with my local EN database. I checked the internet a bit further and came across this post:

As it seems that only a few users are suffering, I thought it might have to do with my local EN database.
I therefore did the following:

1. removed Evernote
2. moved the contents of below folder to a backup location
~/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote/Data/Library/Application Support/Evernote
3. reinstalled EN from the App Store
It seems to be working fine now, no problems since then.

Since there is still discussion about the buttons being customisable (which I completely agree with), in particular the Work Chat button, I thought I might ask why exactly is it that this new contextual feature for Evernote can be switched off if I want it, but Work Chat cannot? Why can't I switch that off?

Let me emphasise this further:

I do not use Evernote in the same way a business executive (for example) uses it.

do not need to collaborate with coworkers through Evernote. I do not want a chat client built into the same app I use to take notes, outline ideas, and in general produce raw information from my head to the computer before I work through it properly later in the appropriate program. Why (WHY?) can I not customise Evernote for my own needs/uses? Please consider making various elements customisable. The toolbar would be a great place to start.

Please consider adding the Evernote green accents back in. In a misguided attempt to follow Apple's guidelines for Yosemite, I think you guys have completely removed the soul and character that was there with older versions of Evernote. Such a simple thing, green accent colours, could go a long way to alleviating people's problems with the new grey-on-grey-on-retina-burning white. I'm seriously considering just using the web client from now on.

I write this in the assumption that the Evernote dev team actually listens to it's users and would like to actually improve the experience. That said, I'm happy you guys will be making the app more and more stable as time goes on.

Since there is still discussion about the buttons being customisable (which I completely agree with), in particular the Work Chat button, I thought I might ask why exactly is it that this new contextual feature for Evernote can be switched off if I want it, but Work Chat cannot? Why can't I switch that off?

Let me emphasise this further:

I do not use Evernote in the same way a business executive (for example) uses it.

do not need to collaborate with coworkers through Evernote. I do not want a chat client built into the same app I use to take notes, outline ideas, and in general produce raw information from my head to the computer before I work through it properly later in the appropriate program. Why (WHY?) can I not customise Evernote for my own needs/uses? Please consider making various elements customisable. The toolbar would be a great place to start.

Please consider adding the Evernote green accents back in. In a misguided attempt to follow Apple's guidelines for Yosemite, I think you guys have completely removed the soul and character that was there with older versions of Evernote. Such a simple thing, green accent colours, could go a long way to alleviating people's problems with the new grey-on-grey-on-retina-burning white. I'm seriously considering just using the web client from now on.

I write this in the assumption that the Evernote dev team actually listens to it's users and would like to actually improve the experience. That said, I'm happy you guys will be making the app more and more stable as time goes on.

Workchat is very usefull to many...

Customizability confuses things

I think the problem lies more in its placement and how its in a position whereby it messes with visibility and spacing to buttons that other people consider more important.

i.e. if I put evernote in half screen... I cant add tags or search properly... because the top bar gets cramped and unusable...

We need to features we use all the time to always be there... half screen or not... 

Workchat.. I could live with it being compromised in half screen...

What I cant live with is my search/addition of tags etc being compromised...

Its just one button... They need to place it better... probably make it smaller too...

I think the problem lies more in its placement and how its in a position whereby it messes with visibility and spacing to buttons that other people consider more important.

i.e. if I put evernote in half screen... I cant add tags or search properly... because the top bar gets cramped and unusable...

We need to features we use all the time to always be there... half screen or not... 

Its just one button... They need to place it better... probably make it smaller too...

I completely understand work chat's usefulness to others, hence my example. I'm sure a lot of business associates, office workers, entrepreneurs, and so on find huge value in being able to collaborate right within Evernote. I've absolutely no problem with this. My problem, however, is that I personally use Evernote in a different way to these people. It's very much a personal repository of information for me, and I'm sure I'm not alone in this. I may not be a UX expert, but I fail to see how having a simple on/off toggle in the settings would overcomplicate things. I mentioned that Evernote's new Context feature can be switched on and off in exactly the same way Work Chat could be, and this doesn't complicate anything. Likewise, those users of OSX may be very familiar already with how OSX allows customisation of the toolbar. (View>Customise Toolbar... From there, it's a simple drag and drop)

These problems that you mention seem to be fixed in a very similar way to my own... Obviously, the placement and size of the Work Chat button is a problem for some, but one that is easily fixed by being able to turn work chat off, or being able to customise the toolbar.

I completely understand work chat's usefulness to others, hence my example. I'm sure a lot of business associates, office workers, entrepreneurs, and so on find huge value in being able to collaborate right within Evernote. I've absolutely no problem with this. My problem, however, is that I personally use Evernote in a different way to these people. It's very much a personal repository of information for me, and I'm sure I'm not alone in this. I may not be a UX expert, but I fail to see how having a simple on/off toggle in the settings would overcomplicate things. I mentioned that Evernote's new Context feature can be switched on and off in exactly the same way Work Chat could be, and this doesn't complicate anything. Likewise, those users of OSX may be very familiar already with how OSX allows customisation of the toolbar. (View>Customise Toolbar... From there, it's a simple drag and drop)

These problems that you mention seem to be fixed in a very similar way to my own... Obviously, the placement and size of the Work Chat button is a problem for some, but one that is easily fixed by being able to turn work chat off, or being able to customise the toolbar.

They could make work chat take 1/4th the space it currently takes... or reposition it...

There are other feautures on evernote that I personally don't use.. Other features that may be off/on that I want or dont want.. When everything is customisable everything becomes a lot harder to use, maintain, organise... and most importantly collaborate with others on.

Also working in groups... for work example makes the process highly frustrating if I get each collegue to download evernote... They have a problem... And I need to fiddle with how they customised their own evernote... They cant access workchat for example because they accidentally turned it off... Suddenly I cant communicate effectively with them.... Some people get my messages.. others dont... Say they customise something else... I cant explain to them simply how to achieve something...

If the software is not systemic to all users... Collaboration becomes extremely frustrating... Essentially this is a cloud service that is very important in collaborative work... If you use it differently that is ok. But your propositions will make group working extremely difficult.

That would be an utter disaster.... I dont mind making the footprint smaller... Or better positioned... But what you are asking is a nightmare in practical working in groups.

Without a std. look and features and too much customisation it would make working with other people very frustrating...

The last thing you want customisable is the group chat function!

They never recieve the message I sent...

Hell even if I met you one day... And we spoke about something and then I sent you a message through evernote.... You would never get it with workchat turned off..

Its just not functional switching off a feature that is required for communication. It basically means it wont work... because everyone I communicate with through evernote, I have to worry if they have workchat turned off or on...

Your suggestion is just not practical. 

The crux of the argument is that by you getting customisation of work chat you essentially limit my ability to use it. Its a case of it either exists.. Or it doesn't.. You cant have something like that "half-exist".. 

It would be unreliable...

It would be like saving a note... and it ends up saving 50% of the time... Evernote would be useless..

Workchat is the same principle.

When everything is customisable everything becomes a lot harder to use, maintain, organise... and most importantly collaborate with others on.

Why? Why would customization - which is the norm for almost all other software - make Evernote harder to use? I completely fail to see that....

And although it isn't possible, I would really be interested to find how many users actually DO use Workchat...  Going on posts on this forum, I don't think I can recall a single post from anyone who says that they like it and use it. There are lots of posts from people who do NOT want it but none that I can recall from anyone who IS using it. Now I'm sure that somewhere, somebody must almost certainly be using it. But as NoelK said - if we can turn off Context (which we can) then why can't we turn off Workchat? Completely? And customise the toolbar to get rid of the button that pushes the Search field off the window when the window is narrowed down?

Better still would be to include Context and Workchat in Evernote Business, but not have them in there at all in Evernote Personal.

When everything is customisable everything becomes a lot harder to use, maintain, organise... and most importantly collaborate with others on.

Why? Why would customization - which is the norm for almost all other software - make Evernote harder to use? I completely fail to see that....

And although it isn't possible, I would really be interested to find how many users actually DO use Workchat...  Going on posts on this forum, I don't think I can recall a single post from anyone who says that they like it and use it. There are lots of posts from people who do NOT want it but none that I can recall from anyone who IS using it. Now I'm sure that somewhere, somebody must almost certainly be using it. But as NoelK said - if we can turn off Context (which we can) then why can't we turn off Workchat? Completely? And customise the toolbar to get rid of the button that pushes the Search field off the window when the window is narrowed down?

Better still would be to include Context and Workchat in Evernote Business, but not have them in there at all in Evernote Personal.

People who say they dont use it and want it gone/or turned off are the moaners that dont use it...

We always see complainers in force on forums.

Can workchat be better? Hell YES! Its not as intuitive as I would like...

The point is there are company's that work extensively with Evernote... Also remember that many business users are introduced to Evernote to use it out of necessity not choice... So they may be reluctant, and frankly clueless as to how to use it in the beginning.

Explaining each feature to highly customised versions of the same program is an administrative NIGHTMARE.. This is NOT your personal Mail application... Or your personal web browser... This is a different thing altogether...

Evernote to be used effectively already has enough of a learning curve... Giving suggestions and help with its better use to collegues will be extremely difficult when they each customise it how they like... They may customise a feature they didnt find helpful to begin with, and need it later... And never know it ever existed...

I had Evernote installed for over a year or two before I started slowly unravalling its uses... And then made it my premier note-taking app... (before it was in the background, would use it sometimes.. but i had better options, or so i thought)

Evernote is relatively simple anyways... Your reluctance to have 1 extra small button is bewildering... (I agree the footprint/positioning needs to be re-thought.)

Evernote either IS or is NOT a collaborative tool... 

I think they want it to be... I believe there is huge power in it being collaborative... I can access it on all my devices...

Why should I not be able to share things with other users effectively? Why must my email be spammed when someone shares something on evernote with me? Why cant the program just handle itself...

Workchat is important for this. If half the users have it turned off.. it becomes unreliable and frankly useless to those who want to use it.

I have enough stress in my life... I dont need the stress of weather somebody is recieving my workchat messages or not. Or not being able to join my notebooks.. Just because you have an issue with a tiny button being there... (Again, I agree footprint and positioning can change.  I would like to see a button that does not cramp up my search and tags..).

The crux of the argument is that by you getting customisation of work chat you essentially limit my ability to use it. Its a case of it either exists.. Or it doesn't.. You cant have something like that "half-exist"... 

People who say they dont use it and want it gone/or turned off are the moaners that dont use it...

We always see complainers in force on forums.

Evernote either IS or is NOT a collaborative tool... 

I think they want it to be... I believe there is huge power in it being collaborative... I can access it on all my devices...

Why should I not be able to share things with other users effectively? Why must my email be spammed when someone shares something on evernote with me? Why cant the program just handle itself...

Workchat is important for this. If half the users have it turned off.. it becomes unreliable and frankly useless to those who want to use it.

I have enough stress in my life... I dont need the stress of weather somebody is recieving my workchat messages or not.

Why should other users be inconvenienced or irritated at the lack of customisability, or turning off features that they don't want, just so that they don't inconvenience you? So what you're saying is that what somebody else wants is irrelevant or unworkable simply because it will inconvenience you? Why must your email be spammed? Why, because I might work that way

And so anyone who doesn't like the route that Evernote is going down here are just moaners who want to troll forums? As if I have nothing better to do. Frankly, the only reason I still use Evernote is because there is no real competition. One Note is way too clunky and others like Simplenote (which incidentally, Evernote 6 looks very similar to now) are lacking in certain features.

I have used Evernote ever since the app actually lived up to it's name. Evernote. It was a note-taking repository that I could brain-dump into, keep pictures for research, save useful emails. Nowadays they're trying to make it into a complete collaboration and project management tool. It ceases to be a pure and powerful note-taking tool the further Evernote takes it in this direction. And here lies the crux of the matter: Evernote wants to make an app for all-in-one collaboration, I just want a powerful note-taking app and repository of information.

As far as being able to switch off Work Chat goes, though... is it really so hard to ask those you plan to collaborate with to make sure they have WC switched on?

Preferences>Work Chat>On 

Very same as Context. And this way, your coworkers can at least switch it back off when the project is over. I find it hard to believe that those that actually use Evernote for collaboration would have it switched off, accidentally or otherwise...

This is also a good idea.

Why should other users be inconvenienced or irritated at the lack of customisability, or turning off features that they don't want, just so that they don't inconvenience you? So what you're saying is that what somebody else wants is irrelevant or unworkable simply because it will inconvenience you? Why must your email be spammed? Why, because I might work that way

And so anyone who doesn't like the route that Evernote is going down here are just moaners who want to troll forums? As if I have nothing better to do. Frankly, the only reason I still use Evernote is because there is no real competition. One Note is way too clunky and others like Simplenote (which incidentally, Evernote 6 looks very similar to now) are lacking in certain features.

I have used Evernote ever since the app actually lived up to it's name. Evernote. It was a note-taking repository that I could brain-dump into, keep pictures for research, save useful emails. Nowadays they're trying to make it into a complete collaboration and project management tool. It ceases to be a pure and powerful note-taking tool the further Evernote takes it in this direction. And here lies the crux of the matter: Evernote wants to make an app for all-in-one collaboration, I just want a powerful note-taking app and repository of information.

As far as being able to switch off Work Chat goes, though... is it really so hard to ask those you plan to collaborate with to make sure they have WC switched on?

Preferences>Work Chat>On 

Very same as Context. And this way, your coworkers can at least switch it back off when the project is over. I find it hard to believe that those that actually use Evernote for collaboration would have it switched off, accidentally or otherwise...

Everything I said went right over your head... 

Its not just about inconveniencing me... What you are suggesting would make Workchat break... It would not work... I just said that your little annoyance with the button being there would impact others much more drastically.

I think the Evernote team knows this... 

They will ignore your suggestions... Because they are professionals.

They know to just ignore what you are asking for... Because practically it is nonsense.

I explained it to you.

You dont get it.

Thats fine..

It wont change..

I can guarantee that.

If you think I am wrong... Time will tell.

Preferences>Work Chat>On 

Everything I said went right over your head... 

Its not about inconveniencing me... What you are suggesting would make Workchat break... It would not work...

I think the Evernote team knows this... 

They will ignore your suggestions... Because they are professionals.

They know to just ignore what you are asking for... Because practically it is nonsense.

I explained it to you.

You dont get it.

Thats fine..

It wont change..

I can guarantee that.

Time will tell.

Very aware of how often Evernote listen to users in regards to customising the toolbar, believe me. If this is the direction Evernote want to go in, that's their decision. I am, however, free to criticise and voice my opinion on a user forum. If Evernote actually finds itself in competition with a powerful, focused, note-taking repository, I would imagine myself and others would be away quickly enough.

The condescension was quite unnecessary, too. I get it just fine, I just don't agree with you at all. WC can easily be used for those who want it, and not for others. Frankly, if that's how you want to be then fine, end of our discussion. I won't continue on with rock-headed fanatics.

I don't have any "internal database errors" like some have reported, but the biggest problem is, PASTING anything takes forever, and sometimes I would end up with a question mark icon (see attached).

post-64746-0-67950400-1420005414.jpeg

This has been going on for a few 6.x versions already, I have never had this problem in the years of using Evernote. Is this just me or a bug?

• Level 5*

I don't think customizability has ever been high on Evernote's list of design priorities, if it makes the list at all, and I think they are far more concerned with making things function auto-magically and flexibly to account for the most possible use cases. There is obviously some merit to having a simple, standard interface. In addition, new stuff tends to find spots in the interface and old stuff tends to be retired (blade runner speak for killed off). It's no surprise that work chat is there and conventional email sharing is buried away in menus.

I've made a case for customizability over the years, but not a persuasive one, apparently. While I disagree with some decisions, Evernote is being increasingly clear about the direction it wants to go with the app. That, at least, is a good thing, and we should give them credit for communicating their vision. If you really need the kind of customizability some people are looking for in the app, another product might be more suitable for you.

Personally, I think complaining about the lack of a customizable toolbar is a bit like tilting at windmills. It has been years since we had it on the Mac, and I doubt they will reverse course now. I could be wrong, and everyone is welcome to continue the debate, but I imagine there are more productive things to post about here. The pasting bug sounds like one worth investigating more, for example, as that is something Evernote clearly wants to get right.

I don't think customizability has ever been high on Evernote's list of design priorities, if it makes the list at all, and I think they are far more concerned with making things function auto-magically and flexibly to account for the most possible use cases. There is obviously some merit to having a simple, standard interface. In addition, new stuff tends to find spots in the interface and old stuff tends to be retired (blade runner speak for killed off). It's no surprise that work chat is there and conventional email sharing is buried away in menus.

I've made a case for customizability over the years, but not a persuasive one, apparently. While I disagree with some decisions, Evernote is being increasingly clear about the direction it wants to go with the app. That, at least, is a good thing, and we should give them credit for communicating their vision. If you really need the kind of customizability some people are looking for in the app, another product might be more suitable for you.

Personally, I think complaining about the lack of a customizable toolbar is a bit like tilting at windmills. It has been years since we had it on the Mac, and I doubt they will reverse course now. I could be wrong, and everyone is welcome to continue the debate, but I imagine there are more productive things to post about here. The pasting bug sounds like one worth investigating more, for example, as that is something Evernote clearly wants to get right.

Customisability may have a case for each specific thing... each needs to be discussed individually... For example we have some customisability in how we see the 'snippet view' so to speak. I think most people chose 'snippet view' over the other views.. But it doesn't mean a lot of people much prefer other views.

But I think workchat is not one of them, simply because it heavily effects how other users use the app.. Customising something that affects other users is a huge no no. Again customising workchat on/off would break the feature for everyone... Especially when it just needs to be a small button...

Again I need to emphasize the button is too big and placed wrong... When the app is made smaller or half screen.. we have trouble using search effectively.. and trouble adding tags... 

I see this as wrong... Workchat needs to be visible... but its footprint is too big.

It only affects how others use the app in a collaborative situation. Many people - including me - never, ever, use Evernote in that way. So having the ability to switch it off, and eliminate all traces of it including the button, would be good, and would affect nobody else at all.

And yes - the button IS too big and in the wrong place. The Search box should have absolute priority in that toolbar, so that even if the app is narrowed down to the minimum size it will go, the Search box should always be there.

• Level 5*

Customisability may have a case for each specific thing... each needs to be discussed individually... For example we have some customisability in how we see the 'snippet view' so to speak. I think most people chose 'snippet view' over the other views.. But it doesn't mean a lot of people much prefer other views.

But I think workchat is not one of them, simply because it heavily effects how other users use the app.. Customising something that affects other users is a huge no no. Again customising workchat on/off would break the feature for everyone... Especially when it just needs to be a small button...

Again I need to emphasize the button is too big and placed wrong... When the app is made smaller or half screen.. we have trouble using search effectively.. and trouble adding tags...

I see this as wrong... Workchat needs to be visible... but its footprint is too big.

I am afraid I don't see much to discuss here, because the ability to customize a toolbar is fairly standard. It appears in Apple's own developer guidelines, it exists on the Windows version of the app, and it used to exist on the Mac version of Evernote's app. Customizable toolbars don't break anything for anyone.

I think the rationale is extremely clear, but Evernote has been reluctant in the last two versions of the app to allow any customizability. A cynical observer might say that they do this to better promote features they want users to use. Personally, I think they figure customizable toolbars are not worth the extra investment for development / maintenance. It's a lot easier just to decide for the user where stuff goes.

It only affects how others use the app in a collaborative situation. Many people - including me - never, ever, use Evernote in that way. So having the ability to switch it off, and eliminate all traces of it including the button, would be good, and would affect nobody else at all.

And yes - the button IS too big and in the wrong place. The Search box should have absolute priority in that toolbar, so that even if the app is narrowed down to the minimum size it will go, the Search box should always be there.

Collaborative teams sometimes only need to collaborate for a day, or a week... Sometimes I want to send a once off note to somebody who is not even on a team but uses evernote...

To have to explain to him that he has to turn on workchat... or explain some arbiatary e-mail process that I dont know about because he has turned off his work-chat would be incredibly frustrating...

It just doesnt work...

You are not either a collaborative user or not... You could collaborate at any point in time.... If you have sworn an oath to never collaborate... Fine... 

But thats just not how these things work.

again the real issue is the digital footprint and placement and how it effects: Search and tags...

That can be easily reworked without taking out a little button...  

Either everyobody has workchat... Or nobody...

Personally i think its a good feature... one extra button is not going to hurt anybody, especially when some form of communication is so important in collaborative work...

To have to explain to him that he has to turn on workchat... or explain some arbiatary e-mail process that I dont know about because he has turned off his work-chat would be incredibly frustrating...

It just doesnt work...

You tell him: Preferences>Work Chat>On

This would frustrate you? I'll be honest, being able to customise the toolbar as I have done with Apple mail and several other apps would be more important to me than switching Work Chat off, but I really don't think this would be as frustrating as you make it out to be.

It just doesnt work...

You tell him: Preferences>Work Chat>On

This would frustrate you? I'll be honest, being able to customise the toolbar as I have done with Apple mail and several other apps would be more important to me than switching Work Chat off, but I really don't think this would be as frustrating as you make it out to be.

Or you could have a tiny icon in a little corner... 

Why is that even an issue for you?

Evernote is supposed to make things easier... Not frustrate anyone...

Customisation may have a lot of these little guidance questions pop up all the time..

I need a reliable tool to get work done... 

Not problem solving why people are not able to access the workbooks I send them...

Or you could simply do what we've all been doing since 2008 - email the note. Absolutely no need for the recipient to turn on workchat at all.

Or you could simply do what we've all been doing since 2008 - email the note. Absolutely no need for the recipient to turn on workchat at all.

I'm not entirely sure Lycoz has been using Evernote longer than 6 months. Apparently making sure the entire team he is collaborating with has Work Chat turned on is an act of colossal heroism. And I speak as someone who has had to setup design standards for an entire engineering company for the switch to Autodesk Revit... Organising a team really isn't that difficult.

I have no problem with work chat, it's the front and centre, no-choice-of-on-or-off nature of it that irks me.

I'm not entirely sure Lycoz has been using Evernote longer than 6 months. Apparently making sure the entire team he is collaborating with has Work Chat turned on is an act of colossal heroism. And I speak as someone who has had to setup design standards for an entire engineering company for the switch to Autodesk Revit... Organising a team really isn't that difficult.

I have no problem with work chat, it's the front and centre, no-choice-of-on-or-off nature of it that irks me.

You just dont get it.

Again its fine...

The real professionals do get it.

I cant rehash the exact same things over and over...

Its a small button... Get over it...

Its there to stay.

Your annoyance at a little button is bewildering...

I wish the human race had more important things to argue about...

I am done here.

You just dont get it.

Again its fine...

The real professionals do get it.

I cant rehash the exact same things over and over...

Its a small button... Get over it...

Its there to stay.

Your annoyance at a little button is bewildering...

I wish the human race had more important things to argue about...

I am done here.

Ah, the argument of condescension? Yeah, sorry, no. You can claim my point of view is invalid because "I don't get it" all you like, but it isn't an argument.

If it was such a "little button", your earlier argument as to how it had such a big footprint are now invalid.

If you just "don't get it" that some people don't need Evernote to be collaboration software, fair enough, but it in no way invalidates my argument, and that if other people's. Users have desired customisable toolbars pretty much since it was removed from Evernote for Mac. They've shown how much they care about this issue for users. For Evernote's sake, I would hope no developers are planning to release a dedicated, focused note-taking repository to compete directly with Evernote.

Maybe the human race does have more important things to argue about, would you like them to do it here, in the Evernote forums? Really?

I'm finding with 6.0.5 that when I try to create a note in Evernote from a Postbox email that I just get a Downloading notice but the note never completes downloading. If I cancel the download and try again the note WILL download. The usually happens only the first time I access Evernote for any given day.

Also, why don't search terms get highlighted in the notes containing the terms? I just did a search that turned up two notes with the search term. It was highlighted in one not but not the other.

I'm finding with 6.0.5 that when I try to create a note in Evernote from a Postbox email that I just get a Downloading notice but the note never completes downloading. If I cancel the download and try again the note WILL download. The usually happens only the first time I access Evernote for any given day.

Also, why don't search terms get highlighted in the notes containing the terms? I just did a search that turned up two notes with the search term. It was highlighted in one not but not the other.

The heading of the note does not get highlighted, just the contents of the note... Could that maybe be what you are experiencing?

I'm experiencing very slow typing (delay after I type a key from when it appears on the screen), moving the cursor around with arrow keys, and copying/pasting.  This only occurs within Evernote.  Evernote for Mac 6.0.5.

Can anything be done to fix this?  Pretty hard to type with this delay going on.

Please help!

Thanks.

Bump.

Anyone???

Please help!

Thanks.

I've said it before but will say it again....

TEST your software before you release it.

Also, and this is a new idea for me, when a new release comes out warn users if it will require migration of all notes from the old version to the new version.

I hate it when I lose access to my computer because Evernote has to take it away from me.

Please, please re-do the design!

This latest update for Mac takes away the signature "look" of Evernote. The screen looks entirely too boring for Evernote.

I agree with this too. I find myself using the web client a lot more than the OSX app, for a few reasons:

1. The character of Evernote is still there with the green and grey accents on white. It's very nice to look at;

2. It's still functional enough for my more basic needs, and I find myself having a Chrome window open pretty much all the time anyway. And last, but certainly not least;

3. Work Chat is not front and centre to dominate my toolbar and create those occasional niggling distractions.

In short: Evernote, in my opinion, absolutely ruined the Mac app. Indeed, they've been slowly ruining it in increments throughout the years... Alas, there is no good replacement as of yet.

...  I find myself using the web client a lot more than the OSX app, for a few reasons:...

a fourth reason:

4.) It is much FASTER to type into the web client.  The web client doesn't randomly pause or delay when typing, editing, copy/pasting, or moving the cursor around with the keyboard.

Evernote is so SLOWWWW to type into now...  WHY is this happening, guys??

...  I find myself using the web client a lot more than the OSX app, for a few reasons:...

a fourth reason:

4.) It is much FASTER to type into the web client.  The web client doesn't randomly pause or delay when typing, editing, copy/pasting, or moving the cursor around with the keyboard.

Evernote is so SLOWWWW to type into now...  WHY is this happening, guys??

**Quick tip: if you like Evernote's web client, you can turn it into an app with Fluid, a free tool. See here: http://fluidapp.com/

Enjoy!

• Level 5*

Adding an attachment to a note is becoming increasingly hit and miss, it's difficult to tell whether the file has been added as Evernote seems to take an extraordinary length of time to process even a small file.

I have found many bugs of Evernote, previously on Windows and now on Mac. I hate the idea of using users for debugging.  Evernote should pay me for being a testing engineer. I don't like providing my 'activity log' again and again. And don't ask me for log for known bugs.

Evernote, please, use the money we pay to hire better engineers. And stop pushing new updates until it is well tested. 

Anybody from Evernote actually even looking at this thread and addressing these issues??...

That would require Evernote having someone to actually care about our issues, or you know, acknowledge our existence. Ostensibly, that is not the case. Has been for a very long time now.

• Level 5

Anybody from Evernote actually even looking at this thread and addressing these issues??...

That would require Evernote having someone to actually care about our issues, or you know, acknowledge our existence. Ostensibly, that is not the case. Has been for a very long time now.

We definitely read the forums although we don't always respond. 

beatybeaty, we're looking into the issue with slow keyboard responsiveness, as well as many of the other issues reported here. Thanks for posting!

We definitely read the forums although we don't always respond. 

beatybeaty, we're looking into the issue with slow keyboard responsiveness, as well as many of the other issues reported here. Thanks for posting!

Ok, that's great!  Thanks very much for the reply, Jack.

The slowness (beachball, pauses, stutters) of 6.05 have made the app unusable for taking notes. It's just not feasible to type with this many issues. It's a text file - why the spiked processor and beach ball? If I use the web version, no lags, but why does the browser version run better (with no lags) than a native app? Please hear: your native app for Mac 6.05 is seriously buggy!

Guys, the mac app is barely usable. It is almost impossible to type in text. As the above post mentions, there are lag spike like things. I've turned off context, all the language and grammar options, every search option, still it is not better. I loved Evernote before, now it is pain to type into it. Please fix this issue somehow.

Thanks in advance. 

PS. It's been like this since at least a month, please don't neglect this. This issue makes your wonderful application not functional for many mac users. 

The slowness (beachball, pauses, stutters) of 6.05 have made the app unusable for taking notes. It's just not feasible to type with this many issues. It's a text file - why the spiked processor and beach ball? If I use the web version, no lags, but why does the browser version run better (with no lags) than a native app? Please hear: your native app for Mac 6.05 is seriously buggy!

It's true.

I guess I'm just confused by you guys making Evernote more and more bloated (Work Chat?  Slideshows?  Atlas?   Market?...  WHY?  This isn't ANYTHING we have asked for.)  Personally, I've only ever asked for easily password-protected notes to go along with encryption - but SIMPLER.  Still not available.  Passwords / easy per-note encryption is more along the lines of a great notes app, not those other features you squeezed in.

It is the Microsoft approach to software to lose focus and try to shoehorn everything into an app.  This is not good.  For anyone.  Haven't you guys heard about doing one thing and doing it right?

I think you need to start making other software instead of trying to cram more features into Evernote to increase its perceived value.

Come on, guys, shouldn't someone on your executive team understand this?  Slim it down, make it lean and mean, and make it do the basics well.  And when you get a beachball when trying to type or move the cursor or copy and paste, the basics are not being handled well. At all.  Keep your eyes on the "ball"; fix it, and remember why you made Evernote in the first place, please...

Thanks.

I've been more disappointed with each new version of Evernote, to the point where I am not going to renew my premium membership and I am actively searching for a replacement for Evernote.

The addition of features like WorkChat and Slideshows only seems to be of use to a small population of users. It's obvious that Evernote is trying to make the application useful for commercial purposes, but they are doing so at the expense of its usability for the average client. The fact that each update further degrades the core functions of the application is a bit baffling, however. If I can barely take notes, make attachments work, etc. as an individual user, I sure as heck wouldn't be interested in using this product for my business.

The only thing keeping me on Evernote is the hope that one of these updates will actually fix the product... and the fact that I have accrued a ton of notes and documents over the years. It's a shame that I'm considering abandoning a program that I have used on a daily basis for 3+ years (and that, once upon a time, I would often recommend to others). 

I've been more disappointed with each new version of Evernote, to the point where I am not going to renew my premium membership and I am actively searching for a replacement for Evernote.

The addition of features like WorkChat and Slideshows only seems to be of use to a small population of users. It's obvious that Evernote is trying to make the application useful for commercial purposes, but they are doing so at the expense of its usability for the average client. The fact that each update further degrades the core functions of the application is a bit baffling, however. If I can barely take notes, make attachments work, etc. as an individual user, I sure as heck wouldn't be interested in using this product for my business.

The only thing keeping me on Evernote is the hope that one of these updates will actually fix the product... and the fact that I have accrued a ton of notes and documents over the years. It's a shame that I'm considering abandoning a program that I have used on a daily basis for 3+ years (and that, once upon a time, I would often recommend to others). 

I used to have an Evernote sticker on my old Jeep's tail window. Just sold the car. I am not planning to put one on my new car.. It is a shame. 

It is the Microsoft approach to software to lose focus and try to shoehorn everything into an app.  This is not good.  For anyone.  Haven't you guys heard about doing one thing and doing it right?

I think you need to start making other software instead of trying to cram more features into Evernote to increase its perceived value.

Incidentally, I've begun to shift all of my notes and other work over to OneNote for Mac. It's a dedicated note taking application, and while it's true that Microsoft have a habit of cramming a whole load of unnecessary features into their apps, OneNote has thus far managed to remain stutter-free. It takes a little while to get used to, but once you've figured out how to use the tabs, sheets, and notebooks properly it makes a lot of sense.

I still have a lot of my notes in Evernote, though. It's hard to let it go as I've been using it for so many years now, but it's just being taken in a direction that isn't suitable for how I want to work. A shame, really.

And since we are talking about 6.0.5.  WHY can't we "customize" the top bar yet like virtually every other Mac application out there?

You are FORCING us to see "Work Chat" even if we don't use it?  No amount of forcing me to see that is going to make me use "Work Chat", no matter how great you think it is.  I simple do NOT NEED IT and I will never need it.  This is a NOTE TAKING app, not a chat app.

Or "Announcements"?  What gives?  Do I really need an icon dedicated to "Announcements" from you guys EVERY TIME I open Evernote??  I seriously do not.  That's what marketing emails are for IF I choose to subscribe to them...

When are you guys being acquired by Microsoft?  Because you are starting to think just like them......  :(

Hopefully you guys will start listening to us (your loyal users), because there are now FAR too many multi-device note-taking apps out there to choose from....

Incidentally, I've begun to shift all of my notes and other work over to OneNote for Mac. It's a dedicated note taking application, and while it's true that Microsoft have a habit of cramming a whole load of unnecessary features into their apps, OneNote has thus far managed to remain stutter-free. It takes a little while to get used to, but once you've figured out how to use the tabs, sheets, and notebooks properly it makes a lot of sense.

I still have a lot of my notes in Evernote, though. It's hard to let it go as I've been using it for so many years now, but it's just being taken in a direction that isn't suitable for how I want to work. A shame, really.

Responding to all of these posts above in unison....

I just wanted to add that Evernote regardless of what is said here... (On the Mac to be fair) is much more lightweight than OneNote...

Just based on loading times... (From completely closed, to open) OneNote takes about 7 seconds... Evernote loads up in about 1 second... And my Evernote has probably 50 times as many notes... If you count file sizes etc... I could say it has about 200 times more data in it...

Something to consider... Cant say that my Evernote experience has ever felt bloated... It is significantly faster than all my other productivity suites on my PC.. 

You can hide announcements from the sidebar. Right click the item.

Not, not in the sidebar, I've already hidden that and everything else I could.  I'm talking about in the top bar.

I dont see any announcements in the top bar? I am confused on what you mean.

Not, not in the sidebar, I've already hidden that and everything else I could.  I'm talking about in the top bar.

How is this so hard to understand?  The radar dish icon in the top bar...  It is for Announcements and Notifications of shared info.  Either way i should be able to remove it if I don't want announcements or use shared notebooks (which I don't).

But this isn't even the point.  My point is that we should be able to customize the top bar, like in virtually every other Mac app...  I am pointing this out to elaborate on why I think Evernote is missing these basic features, while adding other useless ones (work chat, slideshow, shared notebooks) and stepping away from a good user experience.  The lag and slowdowns only highlighted all this for me.

Try just keeping it simple, refer to my other post about focusing on ONE thing and doing it well, above.  This is what any business leader will tell you these days: do one thing and do it right....

How is this so hard to understand?  The radar dish icon in the top bar...  It is for Announcements and Notifications of shared info.  Either way i should be able to remove it if I don't want announcements or use shared notebooks (which I don't).

But this isn't even the point.  My point is that we should be able to customize the top bar, like in virtually every other Mac app...  I am pointing this out to elaborate on why I think Evernote is missing these basic features, while adding other useless ones (work chat, slideshow, shared notebooks) and stepping away from a good user experience.  The lag and slowdowns only highlighted all this for me.

Try just keeping it simple, refer to my other post about focusing on ONE thing and doing it well, above.  This is what any business leader will tell you these days: do one thing and do it right....

Well Anouncements in the side Bar... Is completely different to the "radar" you are referring to... The announcments is about promotions... As the Evernote Employee clearly told you how to get rid of it. You confirmed that you already got rid of it in sidebar and infered that there was an identical feature at the top menu bar... The radar gives Notifications not Announcements (similar to the side bar).. If you look at announcements on the side bar then the notification on the radar/sattelite.. You will see that it is not depicting the same thing... As you can see there could have been confusion as you were referring to notifications as announcements.. When describing subtle features this can create confusion.

And in my personal opinion the radar, with announcements is extremely important. Even though you dont use workchat or notifications etc... If I ever did send you something... And had your email, and sent you or shared something on Evernote... I would like to know that it would pop up in your notifications. 

Now I get that you NEVER collaborate with Evernote with anyone... But if half the people I sent stuff to, did not have notifications.. And the other half did... Well it would impact my experience severly... So I think people can deal with a little radar picture... And get over it... If nobody ever sends you anything... Your notification radar will never light up..

Well Anouncements in the side Bar... Is completely different to the "radar" you are referring to... The announcments is about promotions... As the Evernote Employee clearly told you how to get rid of it... The radar gives Notifications not Announcements.. As you can see there could have been confusion as you were referring to notifications as announcements.. When describing subtle features this can create confusion.

And in my personal opinion the radar, with announcements is extremely important. Even though you dont use workchat anouncements etc... If I ever did send you something... And had your email, and sent you or shared something on Evernote... I would like to know that it would pop up in your notifications. 

Now I get that you NEVER collaborate with Evernote with anyone... But if half the people I sent stuff to, did not have notifications.. And the other half did... Well it would impact my experience severly... So I think people can deal with a little radar picture... And get over it... If nobody ever sends you anything... Your notification radar will never light up..

lol "get over it"?  Really?  You missed my point, again...   :(

Anyway, I'm talking to Evernote, not you.  I'd rather not argue with a zealot, I'm just expressing my opinion, which I'm beginning to understand is not welcome here.

tldr / or for people who have reading comprehension problems like "lykoz":

Please let us edit the content in the top nav bar like virtually every other Mac app.

Thanks!  Now, I'm done feeding the trolls, please carry on peacefully.

lol "get over it"?  Really?  You missed my point, again...   :(

Anyway, I'm talking to Evernote, not you.  I'd rather not argue with a zealot, I'm just expressing my opinion, which I'm beginning to understand is not welcome here.

tldr / or for people who have reading comprehension problems like "lykoz":

Please let us edit the content in the top nav bar like virtually every other Mac app.

Thanks!  Now, I'm done feeding the trolls, please carry on peacefully.

Your opinion should not include:  "How is this so hard to understand?  The radar dish icon in the top bar...  " To such an innocent question presented by me initially:

"I dont see any announcements in the top bar? I am confused on what you mean." -Lykoz

I am not stupid.. It is not that I lack the intellect.. Or did not try to understand what you meant.

What clearly happened is that your explanation was not clear, so i asked innocently. I dont need to be degraded.

Also you missed my point... I explained clearly in another post where you are also quoted in... How Evernote is the most lightweight of all of its direct competitors. In fact it is up to 7 times more lightweight than OneNote...

They do their thing very well.. Which is keeping notes organised on cloud for access to any device, and collaboration...

You obviously don't agree with the direction about collaboration... But that is the direction Evernote is going... And it is a great one.

I cant understand the fact that you want to moan about a great product because you dont like a tiny little radar/sattelite image...

It just does not make sense... It adds so much value to so many people... 

there is absolutely no program where users are so finicky... 

Evernote is so minimalistic its scary...

Yet users still complain about the smallest of things...

Your right I just dont get it...

It is wasted debate...

Its like trying to get facebook to remove its little world 'notification' system... 

It is just not going to happen...

I get opinions.. I get constructive criticism... I just dont get how a little radar/satellite can upset you soo much... Especially if nobody shares anything with you.. Which means it is completely inactive..

Offer solutions... Alternatives... Not Just get rid of it... And that it bloats up the program.. It cant be gotten rid-of.. Because it effects other users use of the program from a collaborative standpoint... It also cant be an option to disable. I dont want my menubar made more confusing so that you can not look at a sattelitie/radar picture... Furthermore I dont want the radar potentially disabled for anyone I collaborate with.. Because that would make collaboration a nightmare.

This quote is worth repeating

It's true.

I guess I'm just confused by you guys making Evernote more and more bloated (Work Chat?  Slideshows?  Atlas?   Market?...  WHY?  This isn't ANYTHING we have asked for.)  Personally, I've only ever asked for easily password-protected notes to go along with encryption - but SIMPLER.  Still not available.  Passwords / easy per-note encryption is more along the lines of a great notes app, not those other features you squeezed in.

Come on, guys, shouldn't someone on your executive team understand this?  Slim it down, make it lean and mean, and make it do the basics well.  And when you get a beachball when trying to type or move the cursor or copy and paste, the basics are not being handled well. At all.  Keep your eyes on the "ball"; fix it, and remember why you made Evernote in the first place, please...

Thanks.

Wow....

I am on version 3.3 but every year or so I browse the forums to see whats the latest product and feedbac.

it hasnt changed this is concerning anyone know any good evernote replacements..

I am still using 3.3 and I love it but since its old im open to other

Evernote, if so many users feel the same why not give them what they want. I dont run a software business so maybe there are other things we the users arent considering.

Advice for everybody here who is frustrated with the new apps, go back to 3.3 

unless you need all the extra bloat laid out loosely related to note taking thats in the new versions.

I understand its 7 times more lightweight but after 2 o3 4 iterations its more about user perception not what it is, especially if most folks feels bloated.

" Points noted til here loud and clear "

Thats cool and we all appreciate that you are listening but please consider adi

Wow....

I am on version 3.3 but every year or so I browse the forums to see whats the latest product and feedback

it hasnt changed this is concerning anyone know any good evernote replacements..

I am still using 3.3 and I love it but since its old im open to other apps. I cant use OneNote since i am on a mac :(

Evernote, if so many users feel the same why not give them what they want. I dont run a software business so maybe there are other things we the users arent considering.

unless you need all the extra bloat laid out loosely related to note taking thats in the new versions.

"Because it effects other users use of the program from a collaborative standpoint..." If the programs core base liked the program before it had collaborative i would also consider those users too.

" In fact it is up to 7 times more lightweight than OneNote..." That may actually true, but its about customer perception at this point especially if the last two versions 6, and 5 have introduced new features that folks dont feel is core.

"Points noted til here loud and clear  :)" Thanks for noting, we hope you consider the concerns

*quoted because Beatybeaty's thought are mine exactly 

It's true.

Thanks.

Wow....

I am on version 3.3 but every year or so I browse the forums to see whats the latest product and feedback

I am still using 3.3 and I love it but since its old im open to other apps. I cant use OneNote since i am on a mac :(

"Because it effects other users use of the program from a collaborative standpoint..." If the programs core base liked the program before it had collaborative i would also consider those users too.

" In fact it is up to 7 times more lightweight than OneNote..." That may actually true, but its about customer perception at this point especially if the last two versions 6, and 5 have introduced new features that folks dont feel is core.

"Points noted til here loud and clear  :)" Thanks for noting, we hope you consider the concerns

It's true.

Thanks.

I lost you when you said you cant use OneNote because you are on a Mac..

OneNote is available on a Mac... It also happens to be free... Furthermore it is in the app-store and is an Editors-Choice program. So its not hidden in any way. Type Onenote and you will find it.

Download it and use it... Problem solved... Please come back and let me know if your needs were satisfied.

I dont know what your point is about public perceptions... Try OneNote.. You will see what I mean.. It is a much heavier application.. And actually has more functions than Evernote... Many more buttons... 

Again Evernote is the most lightweight production tool I use...

They need to offer something and not just be lightweight... They are already more lightweight than the rest of them... Obviously it is a fine balance..

But comparing an app that opens in 1 second to one that takes 7 seconds and saying Evernote is too 'heavy', just does not compute with me.

OneNote was released for Mac a little while back, you can check the app store if you're interested.  ;) I completely agree with what I've bolded in your quote here though. Evernote has stretched way beyond what it originally set out to do that it no longer seems to be suiting a lot of users' needs. Apart from that, users are getting very annoyed that even if Evernote wanted to add these features to the app, they have absolutely no choice in simply switching it off or not. Unfortunately, what comes with added features is a whole lot of lag and bloat. Frankly, I'd prefer if Evernote adopted the KISS philosophy. Keep the regular client simple, and 'trick out' Evernote business for those who actually need this collaborative bloat. 

I just wanted to add that Evernote regardless of what is said here... (On the Mac to be fair) is much more lightweight than OneNote...

Just based on loading times... (From completely closed, to open) OneNote takes about 7 seconds... Evernote loads up in about 1 second... And my Evernote has probably 50 times as many notes... If you count file sizes etc... I could say it has about 200 times more data in it...

Something to consider... Cant say that my Evernote experience has ever felt bloated... It is significantly faster than all my other productivity suites on my PC.. 

Indeed, you're right. OneNote does take almost exactly 7 seconds to open for me. Thing is, 6 extra seconds for me to open OneNote in the morning is not a whole lot compared to how long it takes me to fix, say, a table in Evernote, thanks to Evernote's continually frustrating editor. In OneNote, a table can be fixed and edited quite easily. You can apply this same argument to a whole host of other features regarding the editor, not just for tables.

Your opinion should not include:  "How is this so hard to understand?  The radar dish icon in the top bar...  " To such an innocent question presented by me initially:

"I dont see any announcements in the top bar? I am confused on what you mean." -Lykoz

I am not stupid.. It is not that I lack the intellect.. Or did not try to understand what you meant.

What clearly happened is that your explanation was not clear, so i asked innocently. I dont need to be degraded.

Also you missed my point... I explained clearly in another post where you are also quoted in... How Evernote is the most lightweight of all of its direct competitors. In fact it is up to 7 times more lightweight than OneNote...

They do their thing very well.. Which is keeping notes organised on cloud for access to any device, and collaboration...

You obviously don't agree with the direction about collaboration... But that is the direction Evernote is going... And it is a great one.

I cant understand the fact that you want to moan about a great product because you dont like a tiny little radar/sattelite image...

It just does not make sense... It adds so much value to so many people... 

there is absolutely no program where users are so finicky... 

Evernote is so minimalistic its scary...

Yet users still complain about the smallest of things...

Your right I just dont get it...

It is wasted debate...

Its like trying to get facebook to remove its little world 'notification' system... 

It is just not going to happen...

I get opinions.. I get constructive criticism... I just dont get how a little radar/satellite can upset you soo much... Especially if nobody shares anything with you.. Which means it is completely inactive..

Offer solutions... Alternatives... Not Just get rid of it... And that it bloats up the program.. It cant be gotten rid-of.. Because it effects other users use of the program from a collaborative standpoint... It also cant be an option to disable. I dont want my menubar made more confusing so that you can not look at a sattelitie/radar picture... Furthermore I dont want the radar potentially disabled for anyone I collaborate with.. Because that would make collaboration a nightmare.

How nice of you to tell him what his opinion should include. Well done. If we're going down that road though, your opinion shouldn't just include "get over it". That's not particularly helpful in terms of a discussion.

I see you still don't understand why being able to switch off or hide the collaborative aspects of Evernote is entirely possible. You want a solution or an alternative to "always on whether you want it or not"? Give me the option to turn it off, or at least hide what I don't want.

OneNote is available on a Mac... It also happens to be free... Furthermore it is in the app-store and is an Editors-Choice program. So its not hidden in any way. Type Onenote and you will find it.

Download it and use it... Problem solved... Please come back and let me know if your needs were satisfied.

I dont know what your point is about public perceptions... Try OneNote.. You will see what I mean.. It is a much heavier application.. And actually has more functions than Evernote... Many more buttons... 

They need to offer something and not just be lightweight... They are already more lightweight than the rest of them... Obviously it is a fine balance..

But comparing an app that opens in 1 second to one that takes 7 seconds and saying Evernote is too 'heavy', just does not compute with me.

Are you always this abrasive in your responses to people in this forum? No wonder the Evernote forum has a reputation for zealotry. As for the bolded, yes. OneNote does indeed have way more buttons, but you know what? One of those very buttons allows me to hide the ribbon bar. Thereby making most of those buttons go away until I actually need them. Frankly, I've no idea why 6 whole seconds would bother you if you're only opening the app once or twice during the day and leaving it in the background while you do other things. Press Cmd+H and it disappears until you need it again.

Out of interest though, when Evernote first started gaining momentum, it was because of the fact that it was a lightweight repository for almost anything I wanted to store there. A digital filing cabinet, if you will. Why exactly does Evernote need to offer more and not just be lightweight now?

Lykoz

i should have been clear when i and hunders of others users on this forum says bloat. Yes it can me how long it takes to load.

But i meant it differently as in how many other functions does the program do thats related to its core feature, which is note taking.

If you use that, you will see onenote is nothing more than notetaking app and does it well arguably

while evernote tries to include a lot of features  ie more"  bloated (Work Chat?  Slideshows?  Atlas?   Market?...  .) "

Hope you see the difference now but if you still disagree thats cool too

by the way can anyone point me to the evernote 3.3.1 dmg, please.. and thanks!!!

Wow....

It's true.

Thanks.

NoelK if you think any of my posts were offensive in any way please report them. Mods can edit them and warn me not to do it again. I chose to try be as civil as possible. I also just expect to be treated with respect.

Also your point on OneNote taking 7 seconds to open... But its okay because you can make a table faster for example... Is a circular argument...

We are discussing how lightweight a program is.

My point is that Evernote is substantially more lightweight than OneNote.. Nothing else. Up to 7 times more lightweight...

Each program choses what features are more important. OneNote has chosen many features to be of importance. Evernote has chosen much less. 

Evernote is being selective in what they add and keep... And is rather careful about it.

A few of the features some people are unhappy about in this thread are very important for me to stay as they are, as they are for many other users. It also goes in line with Evernote's attempt at getting more users.

If everyone used Evernote it would be better for me and many others... It would be a note taking standard, as is MS Word for documents...

Again I don't see the issue... Evernote is STILL light wheight.. I could understand if it was loading slower, or was more choppy like MS Word or OneNote... But the latest update, made its loading times even faster that previously..

As for the ribbon bar... Maybe I should petition to have the button that removes the ribbon bar disapear... That is essentially what you are trying to do with the little sattelite.

I respect your opinion but disagree. Calling me a Zealot however is not appreciated.

I hope we can have more exchanges without any personal attacks.

Lykoz

i should have been clear when i and hunders of others users on this forum says bloat. Yes it can me how long it takes to load.

But i meant it differently as in how many other functions does the program do thats related to its core feature, which is note taking.

If you use that, you will see onenote is nothing more than notetaking app and does it well arguably

while evernote tries to include a lot of features  ie more"  bloated (Work Chat?  Slideshows?  Atlas?   Market?...  .) "

Hope you see the difference now but if you still disagree thats cool too

by the way can anyone point me to the evernote 3.3.1 dmg, please.. and thanks!!!

I dont use slideshows... Not going to argue for or against them.. I have no interest in that really at the moment...

Market is a bit out of place... But that can be right clicked away... Although yes.. It could be argued to just be advertising... And again, although I dont care much for it. Cant say it really bothers me..  

Atlas.. Well that doesn't really work for me... Atlas could be very usefull but its not.. Because I save locations on google maps on my phone and save to evernote through my evernote specific email... This allows me to keep an adress book on my phone which is very valuable to me... Since Google maps does not have this functionality... Problem is when I save a location on atlas.. I cant click on it to give me a google maps location therafter.. So its again useless to me.. If they are going to save a location using atlas... I should be able to get direct co-ordinates, and find it on a map. with google maps... or apple maps.. But again.. you can click it away so it does not show.. If they did it properly I would find great value in it.

Up until there I am with you.. 

Then there is workchat/radar notification etc... 

The problem with disabling this is that when I collaborate with somebody I need them to see what I shared and have easy access to it. So for me this feature is golden. And I mean it has to be standardised and not able to be disabled on anybody's evernote otherwise it causes confusion, and collaboration goes down the drain.

I am not saying workchat is perfect.. They need to do a lot of work... I like the fact that I have the radar and work chat... however I could agree having a second workchat button can be counterintuitive... (Although I would also argue that you can disable the work-chat from showing on your sidebar.) So you only really need to have one. As far as placement of the top menu bar workchat.. It is invasive... when I use evernote in half screen on my labtop as I often do.. I cant see search clearly.. I would think that search should be the priority instead of workchat.. Again I am with you...

My problem is removing or having an option to remove all traces of notifications/workchat from an evernote application... then having to have long discussions with people troubleshooting and not able to access each others shared notes... It is a collaborative nightmare.. Its further infuriating when I have two 'newbie' evernote users, and I am troubleshooting for 3rd parties, without standardised software. Especially when some people have windows version of evernote that I am not even familiar with... It needs to be standardised... Improved however standardised. 

The fact is Evernote is pressing hard on the collaborative aspect... It is something they have to do well or not do at all.. And I think it adds value for me and my team... I have gotten many many people to install Evernote - First time users.. So we can have better collaboration... It makes financial sence for evernote... I mean just me being a 'collaborative user' has scored them about 20 extra installations of their program just so I can collaborate with users. It just makes good bussiness sense.. There is a strong number of people.. And increasingly growing number that are using it as a collaborative tool strictly... and not a private-notetaking app.. (That will happen later for them if they like what Evernote offers)

I could work with repositioning work-chat for example.. Or not having show up twice... However it needs a set place that is not made inactive in my opinion. Somehwere everyone can get access to with no problems, that is standardised and predictable. I think Evernote would do well to comment why they want to make it non-modifiable or removable... I think their reasons are exactly what I am saying here.. It would be nice if they actually explained why they dont make it a removable option. Obviously they have a reason for doing that, whilst all the other aspects are removable.. I would not have to argue this point so much if they were just more transparent on the issue, and why they chose to have it this way.

Again I respect your point of view. I just happen to disagree strongly on the workchat/notification issue. What some users are asking for, will impact many other users in collaborative efficiency.

Again this is my opinion. It is something I feel strongly about.. However not something I want to get into name calling and fighting over as some users have shown very strong opinions about me because of my views.

thank you for explaining it so well to me. Thank you for your time. Hope to have more discussions with you about Evernote.

I respect your stance on the matter. Mine remains slightly different on that specific matter. The rest of your concerns I could agree with without objection.

• Level 5*

I've unsubscribed from this thread because of Lykoz the troll. I haven't read her replies. Please do something about her.

If you wish, you can tell the Forum to IGNORE (don't show posts) for a specific user.

Click on your Forum UserName in the upper right corner of this page, and select Manage Ignore Prefs

I find it helps a lot to cleanup a thread and make it more readable.

I've unsubscribed from this thread because of Lykoz the troll. I haven't read her replies. Please do something about her.

I am glad that you think my opinion is trolling...

I love the way some people try to speak for evernote's entire user base.

When their opinion is absolutely nothing more than their personal perspective.

Since we are talking about evernote Premium predominantly... this is Evernote's official definition, or mission statement on Evernote Premium.... This Mission statement, is what ALL their work is BASED on for PREMIUM... And is where their success comes from. Do de-anielate from this would be a huge mistake.

"EVERNOTE PREMIUM The professional workspace

Evernote Premium is built around your core daily tasks of writing, collecting information, and presenting your ideas. It’s the modern way professionals get work done." Source: https://evernote.com/premium/

Notice the inclusion and very deliberate use of the word PRESENTING!!!  This definition is not an accident... If they meant organising your personal files only... They would have have said that... Mission statements for a product, can define the entire company..

This includes sharing of ideas as CORE CONCEPT!!

It is not 'on the side' or bloat...

It is part of the very definition of EVERNOTE PREMIUM!

Work Chat/sharing/notifications/radar is part of the very brief, summarised DEFINITION of Evernote... It is part of PRESENTING... It is what Evernote is... We need good tools for good effective sharing...

Evernote Premium is built around your core daily tasks of writing, collecting information, and presenting your ideas. It’s the modern way professionals get work done." Source: https://evernote.com/premium/

Uh huh... go back a few years and see if that word 'presenting' is still in there. It's called Copywriting. I'm sure it'll be updated to include collaborating soon enough. Out of interest though, what is your argument here? So if it doesn't include 'collaborating' right now, it is considered bloat? Writing notes, and collecting information. If Evernote just did this really well, I'd be very happy. Instead, Evernote have made the app bloated with extra features, and still after all these years the editor sucks...

For what it's worth, I don't think you're a troll anyway.

Uh huh... go back a few years and see if that word 'presenting' is still in there. It's called Copywriting. I'm sure it'll be updated to include collaborating soon enough. Out of interest though, what is your argument here? So if it doesn't include 'collaborating' right now, it is considered bloat? Writing notes, and collecting information. If Evernote just did this really well, I'd be very happy. Instead, Evernote have made the app bloated with extra features, and still after all these years the editor sucks...

For what it's worth, I don't think you're a troll anyway.

Yes you are correct... They may have changed it.. I dont know.. My post was making some assumptions. Again very good point.

The fact is.. At this present moment in time its not an 'extra feature' or bloat. Alwaysambitious earlier categorised workchat together with "Market" for example... Which could definately be argued to be "bloat"...

The fact remains that WorkChat is headed in a direction that it will be as much of a core-concept in evernote premium as it is a note-taking app... You would be able to differentiate the two as an extra feature... It is essentially the product in itself... Its not a little extra feature... It NEEDS a LOT OF WORK... frankly work chat is lacking... Its not-intuitive... But it is something they will develop.

I dont believe workchat is bloat or something that can be optionally removed.

NoelK thank you for taking the time to reply and not considering me a troll because we have a different point of view.

Please understand these are my thoughts on this specific matter. There are many things we will agree on in the future I believe.

These threads can get heated. I have nothing personal against anybody.

I think if they had designed workchat to work better, it would not have been such a contentious issue... It really needs some work..

So lets be clear here.. Its one thing to not agree with the direction (basic definition/mission statement) Evernote is going... And its a whole different matter calling the notification/workchat feautres "bloat"...

The mission statement is based on a lot of hard variables... A lot of research and a lot of analytical usage statistics for Evernote Current User base.. AS WELL AS FUTURE growth potential... You dont just change defintions of a product whimsically... Its a REALLY big deal...

I dont know where they started with their mission statement... I dont know if it changed... If it did... It was a HUGE decision.

And as a personal user.. With how I use evernote... It helps me achieve many many things much more easily.

In Evernote X (10) it will come with the kitchen sink.

There workchat feature will never replace gchat aim or the many out there. They need to stop.

and that presentation, who needs that... evernote is note taking app..

notes are not supposed to presented.. notes are used to contain input

and other info that would go into an end product like a real powerpoint pre, or a design doc or whatever...

Would I put my napkin with the notes to my million dollar to be presented..

NOoooo. No way to rationalize...

. because if presenting notes then it might as well build in a mini power point...

And who absolute cares where i created my note. OMG!!!!

lol

I installed Evernote 6, and was able to remove workchats altas march premium announcements from my left...

all of it just not neccesary...

which leaves the only criticism that color scheme is hard to read

its light, and its not customizable, not sure the thought process there.

btw the only reason im sticking with  EN6 is because they brought BACK the sidebar with the heirarchical tag nesting....

and they also save the state of the tags open and close when restarting.. 3.3 did not do that.

But alas no more Evernote 3.3 Sad to see it go. 21 gun Salute!!!!!

btw the only reason im sticking with  EN6 is because they brought BACK the sidebar with the heirarchical tag nesting....

and they also save the state of the tags open and close when restarting.. 3.3 did not do that.

I think we have all been clear on what we believe. So I am just going to focus and +1 something I agree with you strongly.

Agree with this completely. Is a valuable feature.

With regards to the expanded Notebooks on sidebar: Could still be better.

I want to be able to click on the stack heading and be able to view/search all notes within that stack, irrelevant of notebook... 

Then click specifically on a notebook... to view/search within that specific notebook

Just catching up on the passionate discussion :) .   I think there are great points made on both sides of the argument.  Let me just say that we are reading the discussion and we do appreciate and understand the points people are making.

I just wanted to give everyone a heads up that we're putting the finishing touches on Evernote Mac 6.0.6.  We've spent most of our time on fixing issues.  One of the issues mentioned was the fact that the search box pops off the toolbar when the window is really small and becomes unusable.  This is fixed in 6.0.6.  Quite honestly it wasn't on my original list of things to fix but the forum posts convinced me to switch the priority. We also spent a lot of time on search fixes which means we have to reindex everyone's notes.  As many of you remember this was a really CPU intensive operation and caused some perf issues. Because of this we spent a lot of time trying to reduce the impact of reindexing.  The tradeoff is that it will take longer to reindex all of your notes which means search may not fully work for a period of time.  

I've also seen a number of people running into a terrible perf issue where typing becomes incredibly slow.   This is another one of those issues where possibly 98% of our users don't see it but for those that do it's a terrible experience.  We think that reindexing might be part of the issue so our hope is that our reindexing fixes will help the perf issue too.  I know you'll tell us if it doesn't.

Thanks again for all of the passion around the product.  Please keep in mind that people who are happy rarely frequent the forums so even though a point of view or issue may appear to have 100% support it doesn't actually have 100% support.   I know many of you know this but I just like to mention it every now and then.  We try our best to balance the needs of the millions of customers here in the US and around the world who have varying design tastes, needs and goals.  Thank you for all your input.  We do read it.

• Level 5*

Just catching up on the passionate discussion :) .   I think there are great points made on both sides of the argument.  Let me just say that we are reading the discussion and we do appreciate and understand the points people are making.

I just wanted to give everyone a heads up that we're putting the finishing touches on Evernote Mac 6.0.6.  We've spent most of our time on fixing issues.  

. . .

Please keep in mind that people who are happy rarely frequent the forums so even though a point of view or issue may appear to have 100% support it doesn't actually have 100% support.   I know many of you know this but I just like to mention it every now and then.  We try our best to balance the needs of the millions of customers here in the US and around the world who have varying design tastes, needs and goals.  Thank you for all your input.  We do read it.

Marcus,

Many thanks for your post.  Good communications is vital.

I always favor updates that primarily address fixing of bugs.  Please keep up this good work.

One thing that would really help is to give us more details about what bugs have been fixed in a release.

This has both a practical and a psychological benefit.

The practical is that it allows us to determine if we should update, because EN has fixed a bug that is critical to our workflow.  It also allows us to test Evernote to confirm that the bug has been fixed.

The psychological is that it gives us comfort that you guys are really working on bugs.  The more the release notes discuss bug fixes, vs adding some new feature to stuff like EN Context and Work Chat, conveys the impression that you really are focusing on fixing bugs.  

Does this make sense to you?

However, I'm not sure I agree with this:

Please keep in mind that people who are happy rarely frequent the forums so even though a point of view or issue may appear to have 100% support it doesn't actually have 100% support. 

That is probably true.  However, I think studies have shown that many, perhaps most, people who experience problems or bugs also don't bother to report the issue.  Many just quit using the product.  Others figure out some workaround that allow them to keep using the product.  It is a real PITA to go through all the trouble to create a forum account, or to work through the hard-to-use process of creating a Support Ticket, all the while with no real expectation that the company (in this case Evernote) will actually take notice of the issue/complaint and take action to fix the bug.

Let's face the facts.  For the large majority of the 100M+ users of Evernote, it is a FREE product.  This means that if a person has any interest what-so-ever, there is NO reason not to try it.  If, when they try it, they encounter a bug or bad design, they may just quit using it.

I can't cite the source right now, but I have read that for every user who bothers to report a problem/issue/bog, there are at least 9 more who also encounter the issue, but don't bother to report it.

The key issue I see from reading the forums is sync.  Sync MUST be rock-solid.  It is like SAVE, and must always work.  IMO this is both a bug issue and a design issue.  Sync design must assume that many users will do challenging actions, like editing Notes on one device without having sync'd the same Note on other devices or the current device.  Evernote must detect this and fix if possible, and if not, advise the user on how to best resolve the issue.  

Thanks again for your great communications and passion for the product.

Thanks again for all of the passion around the product.  Please keep in mind that people who are happy rarely frequent the forums so even though a point of view or issue may appear to have 100% support it doesn't actually have 100% support.   I know many of you know this but I just like to mention it every now and then.  We try our best to balance the needs of the millions of customers here in the US and around the world who have varying design tastes, needs and goals.  Thank you for all your input.  We do read it.

Thanks for your post, Marcus, and for the update! I always appreciate an Evernote staff member weighing in here on a discussion. As for the bolded, however, be very careful of this mindset. JMichael has already made some very good points, and I share his thinking on the issue. You may well be right that many who are happy don't particularly frequent the forums, but please don't forget that there may well be many disgruntled users who are also not here to air their thoughts and complaints, there may also be many many more who have simply given up using Evernote silently, or have decided not to pull the trigger and go premium after all... For the moment at least, I've given up using Evernote. I may well return to it in future though.

P.s - As an aside (and definitely no offence meant), I'm guessing you learned to type on a manual typewriter? You double tap space after each fullstop  ^_^

Software Marcus.

Thank you so much for identfying and working to fix the "half screen search function usability"

I think this is very important.

I wanted to add that adding tags on a note in half screen is also impossible... The space runs out... I have to widen the screen to add tags..

And I am using a 15 inch MBP retina with highest resolution (the biggest apple laptop offering)... If I was using anything less in resolution or laptop size it would be an even bigger problem.

A retractable/expandable button for snippet sidebar might fix this issue...

Or Putting tags in its own line, under clock presentation trash-bin etc... Maybe Just under: Created/updated headings... 

Not saying these are the only possible way to fix the problem.. Just some suggestions. (although i think retractable snippet view would be awesome also in seing notes in full size without oppening a second a window... (great for keeping it simple in line with mission control, and moving program between spaces)

• Level 5*

P.s - As an aside (and definitely no offence meant), I'm guessing you learned to type on a manual typewriter? You double tap space after each fullstop  ^_^

Noel, I believe that entering two spaces after the period at the end of sentence is the standard.  This is to help the eye detect a new sentence.  Having said that, in less formal communications people break all the rules to save a few keystrokes.  I don't know what the formal standard is today at universities, perhaps someone currently enrolled can enlighten us.   ;)

Regarding whether people who aren't complaining are happy, there's also the people who have chosen to downgrade. I'm back to using 5.6.2 on the Mac. 

I downgraded mainly for two reasons: to try to escape text wrap issues (it turns out they didn't go away with the downgrade, though the Simplify Formatting tip I just saw seems promising so far), and to get back the old look.

Any of the following would tempt me to try upgrading again:

• a Classic theme or appearance customization
  • toolbar customization (especially the editor toolbar)
  • a consensus on the forum about the editor becoming a better text editor (find and replace, especially) and/or a better word processor (named paragraph styles, etc.)
  • Better support for shrinking Evernote down to half a monitor, as discussed above.
  • Somehow streamlining hyperlinking notes together.  Selecting the note to be linked to and doing "copy note link" and then positioning the cursor into a good place inside the other note to paste a link can't be the most efficient possible way. For example, wiki software tends to have a button/menu item to "insert link here" that pops up a dialog that allows searching for the note to link to. Another possibility would be to drag and drop, creating a link to the dragged note at the bottom of the target note.  
  • I'd also like to be able to navigate to notes that link to a given note. 

Before I would use Evernote for collaboration, there would need to be basic version control features like change tracking, indicators that a note is being modified, merging, etc.

My radar dish also has a notification about a sync conflict between devices, or between a device and the web interface, that resulted in a version of a note with unmerged changes being moved to the Conflicting Changes notebook.  That can happen to anyone.

One disappointing thing I just noticed about the radar dish is that the notifications aren't synced between my Windows system and my Mac. My Mac reports some public sharing links I created, but the Windows system doesn't.  

I was curious, so I looked at the earliest snapshot of that page available via http://archive.org/ ( April 30, 2012), and collaboration is given prominent placement in the fourth advantage of Premium:

"Work together: Evernote Premium users can allow others to edit their notes, making Evernote a great tool for working on a project with others or planning a trip with friends."

Given that all the other Premium advantages listed on the old version of the page are more nuts-n-bolts (bigger upload quota and bigger notes, priority support, offline notebooks, note history, faster image processing, PIN lock, ability to hide ads, PDF search), it shouldn't be a surprise that the emphasis for feature enhancements has continued to be collaboration.

I can't seem to find the help I need.  I'm new to Evernote, although I used it years ago on a PC, I guess I need an 
"Evernote for Dummies for Mac" guide.

I've searched and searched and can't find my way.  

How can I get some help?

Please keep in mind that people who are happy rarely frequent the forums so even though a point of view or issue may appear to have 100% support it doesn't actually have 100% support. 

That is probably true.  However, I think studies have shown that many, perhaps most, people who experience problems or bugs also don't bother to report the issue.  Many just quit using the product.  Others figure out some workaround that allow them to keep using the product.  It is a real PITA to go through all the trouble to create a forum account, or to work through the hard-to-use process of creating a Support Ticket, all the while with no real expectation that the company (in this case Evernote) will actually take notice of the issue/complaint and take action to fix the bug.

Let's face the facts.  For the large majority of the 100M+ users of Evernote, it is a FREE product.  This means that if a person has any interest what-so-ever, there is NO reason not to try it.  If, when they try it, they encounter a bug or bad design, they may just quit using it.

I can't cite the source right now, but I have read that for every user who bothers to report a problem/issue/bog, there are at least 9 more who also encounter the issue, but don't bother to report it.

The key issue I see from reading the forums is sync.  Sync MUST be rock-solid.  It is like SAVE, and must always work.  IMO this is both a bug issue and a design issue.  Sync design must assume that many users will do challenging actions, like editing Notes on one device without having sync'd the same Note on other devices or the current device.  Evernote must detect this and fix if possible, and if not, advise the user on how to best resolve the issue.  

Thanks again for your great communications and passion for the product.

Our opinions are listened to... However forum posters, are a very small group of users, not really qualified to make these important decisions. More often than not posting on negatives they dont like.

There are 19 people following this thread. Some people are employees in those 19 people.

We need to put this into context. Evernote may have about 300 employees.. Who probably also use Evernote.. And work on it all day.

I think those guys do report bugs they find :)

I think if anyone uses a product, and they are getting a bug effecting them often... Most likely, they will report the bug at least once. 

The average human that will have undesirable behaviour that really effects him 5-10 times, will eventually send a bug report. And if they dont. Well maybe they just could not be bothered with the bug or Evernote.

Jeebus Lykos why do you always defend Evernote lol Just playing

Anyway, I'm going to find a way to put this in the right forum place but I have a suggestion for a couple tweaks I wanted to share

Since some people using non alpha number characters in their tag names in place them in a psuedo order.

It would immensely helpful if while searching for tags that you can put part of

a word that doesn't include the first character ***** 

and have the name still come up. instead of having to spell it from the beginning correct... 

If I have a tag named ".Today" then I could spell "today" and it would bring up".Today" in the list

You know where you can tell Evernote to indicate the number of notes the tag has?

See attachment. What if we could let EN allow the user to select a note and opt make it **not** count toward the notes a tag has.

Why?

For example i use EN as todo list where i have recurring items and inspirational quotes in my todo list for inspiration

that i want to see but that arent really tasks so they shouldnt be counted.

I also like to look at my tags ( functioning as task categories ) and use the number count to see how many notes ( aka tasks) I have.

When I have inspiration quotes or recurring items in their it makes the number of notes  be higher than it really is.

It would be great if I could select a note and not have it count towards the note counts.

These items that would greatly improve the experience.

Let me know the correct forum to place these in.

Thanks in advance!

post-101542-0-75446400-1422816245_thumb.

Jeebus Lykos why do you always defend Evernote lol Just playing

What the mod was saying there is something I have been saying all along to many all along...

They just confirmed what I said a while back. 

I find it frustrating when I enter a thread and I disagree with some suggestions, and back what evernote is saying, and am called a 'zealot' and become a very unpopular poster.

People think that numbers in a 19 man strong thread is indicative what people really want. I don't think this is the case at all. The user base is 100 million.

Our suggestions is strictly qualitative user experiences... Not quantifiable justification for anything.. Our medium here is to give them 'out the box' suggestions. Not to force change.

We discuss the topic's trying to give suggestions.. Try to change each others, or readers views. But essentially everyone will come to their own conclusions. As will the Evernote team on final product.

What we say has no representative value of what 'Evernote users' believe collectively whatsoever... 

Some people have been very abrasive towards me whenever I support an Evernote decision, that they disagree with.

They are much more likeable towards me when I agree with them.

I could change my posting style to be completely 'non-conflict'.. However then the forum would be even further biased towards the people who support a certain complaint.

I post when I agree with users and when i disagree with user. This upsets some people. Especially the 'old-guard' of forum posters, who become very attached to their views and what they think Evernote should be.

Then there are posters like you, who where we may disagree with each other, I find they still respect other peoples opinions, and don't revert to name calling.

I wish there were more posters like you. I don't need people to agree with me. I need people I can have a civilised discussion with.

Since some people using non alpha number characters in their tag names in place them in a suedo order.

It would immensely helpful if while searching for tags that you can put part of

a word that doesn't include the first character ***** 

and have the name still come up. instead of having to spell it from the beginning correct... 

If I have a tag named ".Today" then I could spell "today" and it would bring up in the list

Allow the user to select a task and make it  not count toward the number on notes the tag has. Brilliant!!!

For example i have a task list where i have recurring stuff and inspirational quotes in my task list for inspiration
uAnd the number of tasks ( a note basically ) be higher than it really is. Polish.    

These items that would greatly improve the experience, and they arent that huge as opposed to adding a whole part to the s 
Let me know the correct forum to place these in.
 Thank inadvace!

Suggestion 1 -> +1  Agreed- makes sense... Obviously if typed correctly from beginning rank order of suggestions could pop up first... However nice to have "in Word" suggestions also

Suggestion 2 -> I dont understand. care to explain to me a bit more? I get a general idea of what you mean.. But I may be assuming incorrectly.

Archived