Cannot annotate images!

I installed the program and managed to annotate images. When I shut down my PC and restart it, I click on the 'Annotate' box, and nothing happens. I have tried clicking out of the note and onto another, but that does not work. To get it to work I have to re-install the program, but the things mentioned above repeat themselves. Is there any way to solve this?

• Level 5*

There should be 'open' and 'open with' options that might allow you to use other software while this gets sorted out..  you mention that you reinstalled the software - did you re-download from Evernote.com or is this an older version?

Hi Dipper,

Can you give me some details about your PC? What version of Windows are you running? I have not seen this problem before, so any details you can provide will help us understand what is going on...

I have a Dell Inspiron 15 (I think) with Windows 7.

Just discovered that I have the same problem on Wiindows 8.1 Pro 64-bit. Also cannot annotate PDFs. Present does not work either. Evernote version 5.8.1.6061 (274061) Public. Skitch version 2.3.2.173. Dual sign-on enabled. Both have been updated through their update mechanisms. PC with Intel® Core i7 - 4770K @3.50GHz processor with 8129 MB DDR3 Memory.

P.S, Restarting PC brought everything back.

• 2 weeks later...

I am having the same issues with EN on my desktop at work (home desktop works fine) :( UPDATE: I am experiencing these on my home computer as well.

Cannot Annotate PDFs (after restart can annotate one then it doesn't do anything after that, requires another restart)

Cannot Present at all (have tried all buttons, shortcut keys, and mouse clicks) it thinks for a second then nothing happens.

EN also is crashing periodically when assigning a tag or moving a note to another notebook. There is no error, crash report or anything, just disappears. When I restart EN the action I was doing prior to the crash has taken, just gives me that momentary panic when it just disappears  :o.

------------------
System Information (Work Desktop)
------------------
Time of this report: 1/7/2015, 13:14:33
Machine name: EPS1406
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.140303-2144)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
System Model: OptiPlex 3020
BIOS: BIOS Date: 01/07/14 21:03:40 Ver: A02.00 
Processor: Intel® Core i5-4570 CPU @ 3.20GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8144MB RAM
Page File: 8303MB used, 16223MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11

------------------
System Information (Home Desktop)
------------------
Time of this report: 1/11/2015, 20:01:37
Machine name: GROUNDZERO
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.140303-2144)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Custom Build
System Model: N/A
BIOS: BIOS Date: 02/05/10 19:13:52 Ver: 08.00.10
Processor: Intel® Core i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.1GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8168MB RAM
Page File: 7596MB used, 8735MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
  • 3 months later...

Same problem. Windows 8, new Dell XPS 13.

Annotate not working on EN desktop version. When I click on the Annotate image, nothing happens. When I right-click and select Annotate, nothing happens. Close apps/sign-out and log back-in, still doesn't work. Refuse to uninstall and reinstall every time (assuming that works). All of my notes are photos of handwritten notes and I annotate every single one (just to crop).

EN please resolve!

Try to open the task manger and to kill all the Evernote processes you see in there, such as Evernote.exe, EvernoteNW.exe, EvernoteClipper.exe. Then, reopen the program. You don't have to reinstall anything. This worked fine for me.

Hope this helped!  :) 

• 3 weeks later...

Try to open the task manger and to kill all the Evernote processes you see in there, such as Evernote.exe, EvernoteNW.exe, EvernoteClipper.exe. Then, reopen the program. You don't have to reinstall anything. This worked fine for me.

Hope this helped!  :) 

that works ,,, whooohooo thanks alot Dipper

• 1 month later...

This is incredibly frustrating.  This problem looks like it has persisted for 6months.  I just upgraded to premium to also discover the annotate doesn't work on my PC laptop:

WIndows 7 professional service pack 1, 64bit OS

When I do as Dipper suggests and kill all Evernote processes, clicking the annotate does work again, but when I try to save my annotations Evernote crashes.

For more detail...I am only seeing the problem when annotating images, not pdf's.

The exact sequence of events is:

1. I click annotate on the image

2. I annotate.

3. Click file -> save and exit i the annotation window

5. The main EN window crashes (Not Responding)

6. go to task manager -> end all EN processes

7. Re-open EN

8. Repeat

On the plus side, my annotations on the image seem to save prior to Evernote crashing.  So, when I end all EN processes and re-open my changes are reflected.

The image annotation is stable on my iphone6 plus.

• 2 months later...

So, the annotation window will pop up hours after you click the "Annotate this image" item in the menu? Or... do you mean repeated attempts to annotate the image are ignored for several hours, and then after trying for hours, you click to annotate the image and then it finally works?

When I put in an image it will not allow me to annotate, if I right click, it is there in the menu and I can click - but still NOT allowable.

After several hours (usually the next day) I will be able to mouse-over and the annotate box will appear.

I hit sync several times - Does not make a difference.

I have installed SKITHCER - But my god - Another can of worms I aint even going to touch!

I see. I believe the issue is because the note is not saved yet. This is a known bug, but there is a workaround. If you click on another note, then click back to the new note you are creating, that will force the image to be saved in the database, and then you will be able to annotate it. I know it is frustrating to have to do this, but it will work.

Let me know if it worked.

I think I might have found an EASY workaround!!

First - This only works in the Windows desktop version, not the online version.

Before inserting the image into your note, create a 1X1 table (that's right a single celled table)
Re-size the width of your table by dragging the cells right border.
Click in the cell to make sure it's the focus.
Paste your image into the cell - Voila, image has been re-sized down to the width of your cell.

Hope this helps anyone who has struggled with re-sizing your pasted images into an Ever-Note (I know I have).

KillaCook

I think I might have found an EASY workaround!!

First - This only works in the Windows desktop version, not the online version.

Before inserting the image into your note, create a 1X1 table (that's right a single celled table)

Re-size the width of your table by dragging the cells right border.

Click in the cell to make sure it's the focus.

Paste your image into the cell - Voila, image has been re-sized down to the width of your cell.

Hope this helps anyone who has struggled with re-sizing your pasted images into an Ever-Note (I know I have).

KillaCook

This WORKS!

@Left Behind -- Sorry that did not work. I must not understand your issue just right. Can you provide an exact series of steps that you take to reproduce the problem, and I will try to reproduce over here and let you know what I find.

Thanks!

There are no steps to re-create the problem...

I have an existing note

I add an image tot he note

I CANNOT annotate and now I do not have the right click annotate option anymore 

(However when I reboot in a few days it may be back)

Using the Windows Desktop version - yes.

• 1 month later...

I'm having the same problem.  Sometimes annotate feels like working, other times it doesn't.  I already switch over to another note to "save" and come back, but that's not working now.  This morning it won't work with any method.  I even tried annotate a copy and a new copy was made, but the annotate window never popped up.  Tried 3-4 times already.  

Maybe I'm am missing something very obvious? I click the Annotate pop-up, mark the part needing an arrow, see the arrow, and under FILE drop-down choose 'Save and exit'. But the image in the note is not showing the annotated arrow I just added.

Shouldn't 'Save and exit' replace the old image with the new annotated image?

• 4 months later...

Evernote suggests an annotate icon appears after hovering over the image, and this thread indicates right clicking the image also pulls up an option to annotate. I, however, do not see either of these options. 

Do you need to be a Premium member to be able to annotate images? The help topic made it seem like Premium was only for annotating PDFs. I'm still learning this program and haven't decided if I need the full benefits of a Premium membership. 

• Ex Employees
On 4/6/2016 at 11:39 AM, briga said:

I've attached a screenshot. This is accessed from a destop Windows computer on a Google Chrome browser. 

evernote.photo.annotate.sc.JPG

This screenshot indicates that you're using Evernote Web. You need to download the separate Evernote for Windows Desktop to annotate images. You can download it from here: https://evernote.com/evernote/  

Most of our help articles will tell you what platform the feature can be used with. For annotating images it states "Available on Mac, Windows, iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch. In this case "Mac" and "Windows" refer to our desktop apps, and not Evernote Web. Let us know if you have any isues annoating images using Evernote for Window Desktop 

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005587-How-to-annotate-images-and-PDFs-in-Evernote

Archived