BUG: Recent update broke default-notebook settings

soundsgoodtome

Idea

At some point in the last month or two (approximately), my default-notebook setting was "spontaneously" changed. The reason I don't have a more specific date is that I've been using the Safari Clipper quite a bit of late, and its preferences apparently aren't affected by the app's settings. So, notes created by the clipper have been categorized as expected.

But today I noticed my notes were going to a notebook that I've never selected as a default. But when I opened the preferences to reset it, the notebook that's been my default for years was nowhere to be found in the list.

Since there are several notebooks in that particular stack, I placed (years ago) an asterisk at the beginning of one notebook's name, to force it to the top of the alphabetical stack. Something like this:

* DefaultNotebook

Apples

Bananas

Cherries

It's been my default and has worked perfectly for years. But in Evernote's preferences, that notebook no longer appears in the list of available defaults. (And when that notebook disappeared from the list, Evernote then picked another notebook — at random — and made that the new "default," sending notes to the incorrect destination.)

Please fix the default-notebook picker in the preferences. I'm currently running v6.0.4 Beta 2.

Thanks.

5 replies to this idea

So is it that your *DefaultNotebook has been deleted from your database,  or does it still exist,  but you can no longer choose it as default?

The notebook still exists and functions properly. However, I can no longer choose that notebook as a default.

Again, for clarity, I added the asterisk to that notebook's name, years ago. At the time, I was able to choose it as my default notebook, and everything worked perfectly for years. But very recently, a change was made to Evernote for Mac that [a] silently removed that notebook as the default and  now prevents me from reselecting that notebook as a default, because (presumably due to the asterisk) that notebook no longer appears in the list of possible default notebooks. (All of my other notebooks are still displayed in the list.)

Thanks.

• Level 5*

Odd.  Can't suggest ways to make that notebook work,  but you might want to consider creating a new default notebook and moving the notes from the original to the new default,  then deleting the original.

It's also possible that your database has become slightly corrupted in some way,  and that removing the database and recreating it from the server would correct your issue,  but that's a fair amount of work and may be unnecessary if the first idea works...

• Level 5

Thanks for reporting this. Apparently the notebook list in Preferences does not include any notebooks whose names start with symbols. I’ve reported the issue internally.

As a workaround, go to Notebooks, find your notebook, click on the gear icon, then click the “make this my default notebook” checkbox.

Thanks for reporting this. Apparently the notebook list in Preferences does not include any notebooks whose names start with symbols. I’ve reported the issue internally.

As a workaround, go to Notebooks, find your notebook, click on the gear icon, then click the “make this my default notebook” checkbox.

Thanks!

Interestingly, I had temporarily renamed the notebook (removing the asterisk), pending a fix, and had reselected that notebook as my default. Just now, in preparation of implementing your workaround, I placed the asterisk back into the notebook's title. Then, per your instructions, I selected it in Notebooks and clicked on the gear icon — where I found that "Make this my default notebook" was already enabled.

So, it appears another workaround is to

[a] temporarily rename the notebook, removing preceding characters

reselect the notebook as default, then

[c] replace the removed characters.

Archived