Evernote for mac: issue with growl.framework

Elenie

Idea

Hi everyone!

I have a problem with my Evernote: two days ago i removed Growl from my mac but i made a mistake and i deleted a file that was used by evernote but i didn't notice this.

When i tried to open Evernote it displayed me an error:

Dyld Error Message:

Library not loaded: @executable_path/../Frameworks/Growl.framework/Versions/A/Growl
  Referenced from: /Applications/Evernote.app/Contents/MacOS/Evernote
  Reason: image not found
What can i do now? I have notes on a local notebook and i don't want to lose it. If i install it again it will delete the local folders or it will just upgrade? Is there a way to replace that single library?
Please help me because i have many important notes on it!!!

12 replies to this idea

Elenie,

I am sorry no one else has helped you by now.  I only come to this forum occasionally.  If I were you, I would do the following: (However, keep in mind I am not a computer geek and don't know the BEST solution.  This is simply what I would try on my own)

1.  Export ALL Notes to separate Folder on your computer and/or external hard drive (particularly the local Notebook you are concerned about losing)  Export the Notes in the .ENEX Format.  

Realize when you Export, your Notes will not be exported into different Folders labeled as your Notebooks are labeled.  The Notes will all be dumped into one Folder without any order or structure.  When I do an Export, I Export each Notebook separately labeling the Folder it generates as the name of the Notebook I am exporting.

2.  Sync!  Back Up your data to the EN server.

3.  Re-install the Evernote application.  Or Uninstall Evernote application using AppCleaner, then reinstall Evernote application.

4.  Restore your data to the Desktop application.  It will be easiest to Sync the Desktop with the EN server to do this, then Import your Local .ENEX Files you Exported in Step 1.

I hope this helps.

Thank you sentinel for your help :) finally someone comes here :) the problem is that Evernote doesn't run anymore, i can't open the application and export the notes, and I cannot realize which are the right folders and where they are! :(

• Level 5*

Hi - if you can't start Evernote then please at least backup your hard drive before making any changes.  If you check via your browser and log into Evernote.com you should be able to see your notes - the ones that have been synced t the server from your PC,  anyway.  Evernote has updated itself several times over the past couple of weeks,  so uninstalling and reinstalling is a little risky for any notes that remain unsynced.  In theory uninstalling the app and reinstalling it should not affect the database.  If it does,  you would still be able to download another copy of your notes from the server - but that would exclude any local notebooks you might have,  as well as unsynced notes.

So.  If you're feeling brave,  uninstall Evernote,  then download the current version and reinstall.  Log into your account,  and wait for the database to update to the new version.

Good luck...

Where is located the folder that contains all the local notebooks? I just have to drag the folder and drop it into an external HD, is that right?! And after the re-installation I have to replace the new with the old ones?

I recommend you submitting a Support Ticket.  Follow these instructions:  https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/51807-best-practices-submitting-a-support-ticket/

If you want to try and tackle this on your own, I have been successful in doing the following, using Evernote version 5.6.0.  For other versions, the results may vary:

The EN Database MAY be found here:

1.  Open a Finder Window

2.  Click on "Go" in the menu at the top of the screen, this will create a dropdown menu

3.  Press and hold the "Options" key on your keyboard.

4.  This will display the word "Library" in the middle of the dropdown menu from the "Go" menu.

5.  Click on "Library"

6.  Find the "Applications Support" Folder and click on it

7.  Find the "com.evernote.Evernote Folder.  This folder contains all of your Evernote Database  

8.  Copy that folder some place safe.  You will drag this database back to the same location after you reinstall Evernote. 

This link explains other locations where the database may be depending on where you downloaded Evernote from, the App Store or directly from Evernote.com:  https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/35283-where-are-the-files-saved-to-on-my-mac/

Use the combination of clicking on "Go" and the "Options Key" to display the hidden "Library" folder.

Although the rest is easy, this link explains the rest in very good detail:  https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/77444-how-to-completely-remove-and-reinstall-en-mac/

A Disclaimer:  I have never used any version of Evernote beyond 5.6.0.  The location of the database for versions beyond 5.6 may be somewhere else.  

Good luck!

Archived