1000s of notes in one notebook. (Notebooks vs tags)

hi all, I have over a thousand notes in my Evernote, spread across a ton of notebooks and stacks. I'm also using tags more and more. I don't think using both is working and I'd rather switch to using just tags, placing all 1000s of notes in a single notebook. No other notebooks or stacks, just hierarchy of tags.

I was wondering if there are any potential technical issues with this approach (eg performance related to 1000s notes in a single notebook).

PS I use Evernote on iPhone, mac, windows (desktop), and surface pro (unfortunately Evernote touch is still useless).

• Level 5*

No issues with many notes in a notebook.  I have 27k notes in 10 notebooks, largest has 12,500 notes in it.  Be sure to have a tag or keyword strategy to help you search for what you need.  Many good forum posts on how to go about that.  Good luck.

My main notebook has 15,000 notes and I've noticed no performance problems.

Even though tags work very well as a means of separating notes in a collection that large, I've found it useful to keep other notebooks for specific purposes, such as individual novels or receipts.

I use the Mac client primarily, occasionally the web client. Both work very well.

I also use it on the iPad and iPhone. On the iPad it works pretty well, although mine is the original mini, so it's a little slow.

My iPhone only has 32GB of memory so I can't load the entire database on it and have room for the other apps I need, so I keep a separate notebook called "sync," where I move any notes I might want, like scan codes for theater tickets and the like. (If I forget to move a note, EN's download over Verizon's 4G service is pretty quick.)

• Level 5*

I use Windows desk top and iPhone and iPad Air.  I have about 15k notes on the IOS devices.  Has worked well until just recently there are some sync issues occuring.  Sometimes takes a couple of passes to complete the sync, which is a PITA if you are trying to grab your phone and create a quick note.  Other than that, is fine.

• Level 5*

@msakten:  I haven't seen any performance issues associated with Notebooks.  

Tags should work well for you, but you do need Notebooks for these use cases:

1. Sharing selected Notes with various people
  2. Offline storage on mobile devices

There are many forum threads and internet blogs articles on Evernote organization (google it).

You might find this forum thread helpful:  The Benefit of Using Tags

hi all, I have over a thousand notes in my Evernote, spread across a ton of notebooks and stacks. I'm also using tags more and more. I don't think using both is working and I'd rather switch to using just tags, placing all 1000s of notes in a single notebook. No other notebooks or stacks, just hierarchy of tags.

I was wondering if there are any potential technical issues with this approach (eg performance related to 1000s notes in a single notebook).

PS I use Evernote on iPhone, mac, windows (desktop), and surface pro (unfortunately Evernote touch is still useless).

Archived