Additional Handwriting Functionality

hootocol

Idea

I recently purchased a Galaxy Note 10.1.  I already used Evernote and was very interested in the handwriting functionality built into Evernote.  However, I found that other handwriting applications contain features I need/want which are note currently available in Evernote.  They are as follows:

1. The ability to replicate a piece of paper.  Replicating a piece of paper includes both size (ie Letter, legal) and printed guides (ie graph, college ruled, wide ruled, etc)

2. Pressure sensitive or, at least, fine point writing.  The current handwriting functionality included in Evernote does not, in my opinion, allow me to include the amount of content in one note as I could on a piece of paper due to the thickness of the pen stroke.  This is, of course, considering the thinnest pin stroke setting available.  A thinner pin stroke would be acceptable, but simulated pressure sensitivity would be excellent.

3. The ability to reject all finger touches.  In another application, I can adjust settings such that only my stylus can be used to write.  Rubbing my finger on the screen does not write.  As a matter of fact, the other application allows me to use my finger as an eraser.  So... I write with my stylus and, if I make a mistake, I rub the screen with my finger to erase the mistake.  It is a very natural feeling configuration.

Your consideration regarding these requests is very much appreciated.  In addition, if functionality currently exists within Evernote which meets my needs but I have overlooked, please let me know.

Thank you.

7 replies to this idea

LectureNotes also integrates well on the Android platform, albeit slowly.  Would love to see some of the basic S-Notes (I'm a Galaxy Note 3 & Note tablet user) and/or LectureNote functionality deployed consistently across all Evernote products.  Having ink on the desktop, pen on the handhelds, Skitch as a separate attachment, and barely anything on Touch (Lenovo, Windows 8) is a dissatisfier.  They should be consistent, robust, and integrated.

I'm always the odd man out in these handwriting threads. I have a note 8 tablet and a Surface Pro 3. In both these when I need to take notes I use Evernote. What I do though is convert my handwriting to text which is what the stylus with both of these can do. This way I don't have to deal with poor resolution and if I need to use these notes in some other setting they are shared in a bit more professional way (type vs. handwriting). 

I rarely need to draw something, but when I do I can easily switch to inserting a drawing in both of the devices. 

Maybe I am missing something or not getting the full functionality of my various styluses. I don't know. 

• Level 5*

May or may not be relevant,  but - 

<quote>

Google Handwriting Input allows you to handwrite text on your phone or tablet in 82 languages. It supports printed and cursive writing, with or without a stylus. Google Handwriting Input also supports hundreds of emojis, so you can express yourself in any Android app.

Key features:
• A useful complement to touchscreen typing or voice input
• A fun way to enter emojis by drawing
• Useful for languages that can be challenging to type on a standard keyboard
• Works across your Android phones and tablets running Android 4.0.3 and up
• If you claim your handwriting is terrible, try it out and see if it can convince you otherwise

You know, I find it strange that some people now don't even know how to read or write in cursive. Granted, my handwriting has gone way downhill, but I was shocked several years back when tutoring some teens to find that many had not ever been taught to read or write in cursive.

A couple didn't even know how to read an analogue clock either.

Archived