Evernote for Mac 6.0.4 Beta 1 Released

SoftwareMarcus

Idea

Evernote for Mac 6.0.4 Beta 1 is starting to roll out to customers who have the beta checkbox turned on in preferences.  This is actually a pretty big update with lots of bug fixes so we appreciate all the help you can provide in testing this version.  The specific bug fixes and changes are:

Bug fixes and other improvements:

• Fix for note content not displaying (blank notes). This has been a really hard one to reproduce and fix but we think we've got most of the situations covered now. We really need your help in figuring out if we finally have this one fully fixed or not so please use this beta if you are still seeing this issue.

• Improved icon visibility. The Presentation Mode icon won't be fixed yet on Mavericks but will be in an upcoming beta.

• Local files can be opened directly. We pop up a security message first.

• Resolved various sync and crashing issues.

Work Chat improvements:

• Added the ability to sync with Gmail contacts. This feature appears in the product but isn't working yet.

• Added ability to block Work Chat contacts.

You can download the beta from: http://bit.ly/1sg0LRn.

Let us know what you find.  Thanks again for helping us test the product.

22 replies to this idea

Is it just me - when I open a note to possibly edit a tag, I find myself inadvertently changing the note title.  This happened me this morning and low and behold I find that the Edit>Undo or Edit>Redo is not active for changes to a note title.  You need to be in the body of the note for these to be active.  At this stage you could have lost the title of the note with no option to undo or cancel the change???

Obviously that is purely judged by those who post here

Of course I can only go on those who post in here - the line above is from my original post - in fact, from the bit you quoted.

I'm well aware of "grumbler's bias", which is why I wrote that disclaimer line above. But my point was not so much the absolute numbers as the ratio.

However, as Jeff pointed out further up, the functional aspects should take priority, especially in this thread.

I've been around this forum long enough to have seen several surges of posts when each new version of EN comes out, and this one seems to have sparked WAY more complaints than ANY pervious version I can recall. And the UI complaints are almost smothering out the real bug reports. 

Anyway, I've made my points - several times ;) - so I'll resist the urge to post anything further on the UI. 

But have you taken note of the huge number of complaints about the UI? They outnumber those who like it by about 50:1 or more. Obviously that is purely judged by those who post here, but many have taken the trouble to register so they can post those complaints.  Surely we can't ALL be wrong?

You have no idea how many people prefer the UI versus don't like it. All you know is how many people are complaining about it in the forum. And, I guess, are complaining about it in the Mac App Store. And people are OVERWHELMINGLY likely to comment or seek a place to comment if they are dissatisfied with something, than if they are satisfied with it. Folks who are satisfied generally just go about their business.

I happen to prefer the UI, though I think the use of translucency in the notes list itself is a bit odd. It makes sense in the sidebar. I GREATLY prefer the new look to the old "grey all over the place, with a black sidebar and some green." It now looks like it fits with OS X in general. Yes, it is whiter and brighter than the old version was, but I don't really understand the "IT'S WAY TOO BRIGHT" comments when it's the same brightness as TextEdit or the Mail app. People have also complained about low contrast, but the contrast is now HIGHER than the old version (really didn't like the extensive grey in the old UI).

At any rate, it's simply inaccurate that you can tell how man people prefer versus don't the new version based on forum comments. The most common analogy is to say that everybody is sick after you've spent a few hours in a hospital ;)

• Level 5

The problem with "Rename Attachment" (Anhang umbenennen) seems to be fixed (not greyed out any more).

But I found something else: There seems to be a size limit for showing a PDF inline. In the two screenshots below you can see that with a PDF of 4.4 MB it works whereas the option is missing for a PDF of 8.5 MB.

Another problem I found was the sync of large PDFs. I attached the PDFs to the note using the Web client. The Mac client showed the PDFs inline and I did not get the "9800 error" but I could not open or save them. I had to use the Web client to download them to my Mac and re-insert them into the note using the Mac client. Then the sync worked. That means to me that there still is a problem syncing large PDFs from the server to the Mac client.

pdf2.png

pdf1.png

After the latest update, I can no longer edit any files in the mac client. They take a long time to load and once they're there, the only thing i can do is read and copy content. No writing, no deleting or changing possible. And a funny detail: One of my posts changed the date to somewhere in 1969. So it seems I made it in '69 :)

– Ben

EDIT:
After a long time it fixed itself.

I am reading a lot about the look and feel and to be honest, I would park them based on performance and reliability and bugs.  I am trying so hard to remain positive but it is hard!!!

Best place to discuss this potential bug??  If so read on...

Is it just me - when I open a note to possibly edit a tag, I find myself inadvertently changing the note title.  This happened me this morning and low and behold I find that the Edit>Undo or Edit>Redo is not active for changes to a note title.  You need to be in the body of the note for these to be active.  At this stage you could have lost the title of the note with no option to undo or cancel the change???

• Level 5*

Hey folks, we released this beta primarily to gather feedback on the issue of the note editor not loading. I'd love to hear whether or not this issue was resolved.

Good point Jack.  3 posts by a person that doesn't even use a Mac or EN Mac seems a bit much, and tends to clutter the thread.  I'm pretty sure most of us would like to hear from Mac users who are testing the Beta.

Hey folks, we released this beta primarily to gather feedback on the issue of the note editor not loading. I'd love to hear whether or not this issue was resolved.

New plain notes edit ok.

But with web-clipped material I still have to open the note in a new window to be able to edit it.

[Edit] Having closed the note window I can then, and only then, edit the note in snippet view as expected.

• Level 5*

Yup - fair point :)

And to be fair back, there's been quite a lot of constructive commentary on the new release, by a lot of folks, including you. Didn't mean to come off as picking on you over this. 

They're doing pretty rapid turnaround of releases (including beta). This stuff doesn't fix itself, so they prioritize. I'm sure that they're listening (the UI comments are hard to miss, since the Mac 6 version complaints seem to have eaten the rest of the forums), though, as usual, their idea of what they want their UI to be is may not match anyone else's. I'd recommend continuing to add constructive comments, but hectoring them about their priorities and whether they're listening just seems to be wasted commentary.

Isn't the goal of Evernote to perform natively on each platform?  So why should Evernote Mac act like Windoze?

"Windoze"? Seriously? Haven't we outgrown that yet? Tell me please, in what way does the new Mac release resemble the Windows release? And please show me where I actually intended that it does? What you highlighted doesn't.

They're doing pretty rapid turnaround of releases (including beta). This stuff doesn't fix itself, so they prioritize. I'm sure that they're listening (the UI comments are hard to miss, since the Mac 6 version complaints seem to have eaten the rest of the forums), though, as usual, their idea of what they want their UI to be is may not match anyone else's. I'd recommend continuing to add constructive comments, but hectoring them about their priorities and whether they're listening just seems to be wasted commentary.

Isn't the goal of Evernote to perform natively on each platform?  So why should Evernote Mac act like Windoze?

• Level 5*

But have you taken note of the huge number of complaints about the UI? They outnumber those who like it by about 50:1 or more. Obviously that is purely judged by those who post here, but many have taken the trouble to register so they can post those complaints.  Surely we can't ALL be wrong?

Options and customization, of course, of both the appearance, the theme, and the toolbar, would make ALL of those complaints go away....

Among the things that they fixed were note content not displaying, sync and crashing issues. Is a better UI something you would have prioritized higher than these?

No, absolutely not, of course. But I would put it fairly high up the list - it seems to be a major reason that a lot of people are either not upgrading (like me) or who are downgrading back to v5.

Functional problems need to be sorted out first - absolutely agree. But the whole experience of using Evernote - as with any app - involves the UI as well as the actual functionality. They BOTH need to be sorted out.

• Level 5*

Options and customization, of course, of both the appearance, the theme, and the toolbar, would make ALL of those complaints go away....

Among the things that they fixed were note content not displaying, sync and crashing issues. Is a better UI something you would have prioritized higher than these?

Good move, Marcus, releasing a beta for those having problems with v6.

Archived