Evernote for Windows 5.8.0 Beta

Justin Street

A new beta version of Evernote for Windows is available. You can download it here

5.8.0 Beta release notes:

New:
  • Notebooks can now be sorted in the notebooks menu
  • View all notes and notebooks sent in a particular chat
  • Context*
Fixed:
  • A bug causing MS Office documents attached to notes to not open in some cases
  • Various bugs causing crashes
  • Bugs that may cause sync to fail unexpectedly and manifest as the following in the Activity log:
    • "TRAN_SYNC_ERROR text:'BASE_ITEM'"
    • "No more data to read"

Context surfaces relevant content at the times you need it most. It displays related notes, people and high-quality articles based on intelligent indexing of your notes. As an Evernote Premium subscriber, you get (what is usually costly) relevant content for free from sources like the Wall Street Journal and more.

Here are two important facts:

1. Your data is private
  • We never send your content outside of Evernote. All of our clever matching happens within Evernote with data provided to Evernote by our partners (like WSJ). 
  • We do not monetize your data or your clicks. Context is not advertising. We are providing premium content to our subscribers for free.
  • Context stays true to our 3 Laws of Data Protection.

2. You can turn Context off
  • If you want to turn it off, you can easily do so from the Options menu in Evernote for Windows.

We love using Context and hope you’ll enjoy it too! 

• Level 5*

Tried this (...cautiously...) on my Windows 8.0 laptop - things seem to be running smoothly so far..  Context is fun,  but I don't subscribe to WSJ,  and it's understandably kinda US-centric...

• Level 5*

Can't find any notes to test all of that out,  but there are still some inconsistencies to printing - it's not possible to shrink a note onto one page forinstance when printing a note containing a PDF,  even though I can do that if I open the PDF in Adobe and print from there...

I am running Windows 8.1 Pro on a Lenovo X2 Carbon Notebook computer. I am on Evernote 5.7.2.5753 (273753) Public

I do not use Evernote Touch on my computer - I don't use any of the touch apps - its my workhorse and I prefer the desktop environment. Its not practical to keep touching the screen when I'm banking on the keyboard all day.

When I tried to update Evernote today it does not complete the installation but instead gives me the following Setup error:

(.\Bootstrapper.cpp:915) 0x643:Fatal error during installation.

• Level 5*

Installed successfully on Win 7 and the Win 10 preview. Need to start paying attention to the Context popups, probably more useful when I'm at work (that installation will need to be tomorrow).

For those with problems on high dpi displays such as Surface Pro 3 or Yoga 2 Pro, you can easily resolve this until Evernote fixes this in 2 simple steps.

What you need to do:

1) Tell Windows that it needs to ignore any setting that any application itself tells Windows (which is clearly wrong, since the UI is unusable) whenever a "manifest" file is available. Open registry editor and create the following DWORD registry key:

Enable Windows to prioritise external manifests by creating and setting this registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SideBySide\PreferExternalManifest (DWORD) to 1

2) create a "manifest" file that tells Windows that Evernote is not using high dpi UI:

create the file Evernote.exe.manifest with the following contents and place it next to Evernote.exe in C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote:

(use Notepad or something similar - I had to save it in another location first and then copy because of file rights)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>

<assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0" xmlns:asmv3="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3">

<assemblyIdentity
    type="win32"
    processorArchitecture="*"
    version="11.0.0.0"
    name="Evernote.exe">
  </assemblyIdentity>

<description>Evernote</description>

<trustInfo xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v2">
  <security>
    <requestedPrivileges>
      <requestedExecutionLevel xmlns:ms_asmv3="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3"
        level="asInvoker"
        ms_asmv3:uiAccess="false">
      </requestedExecutionLevel>
    </requestedPrivileges>
  </security>
</trustInfo>

<asmv3:application>
    <ms_windowsSettings:dpiAware xmlns:ms_windowsSettings="http://schemas.microsoft.com/SMI/2005/WindowsSettings">false</ms_windowsSettings:dpiAware>
  </asmv3:windowsSettings>
</asmv3:application>

</assembly>

note: forum makes an automatic link where it shouldn't so just copy from here: http://pastebin.com/XXqafS0P

Now start Evernote again (no reboot required) and your UI is a bit fuzzy (due to scaling) but works perfectly fine!

Problem solved!  :)

Thanks a lot to Luis and Surface Pro Artist Blog who first proved this workaround for Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator.
  • Level 5*

For those with problems on high dpi displays such as Surface Pro 3 or Yoga 2 Pro, you can easily resolve this until Evernote fixes this in 2 simple steps.

What you need to do:

1) Tell Windows that it needs to ignore any setting that any application itself tells Windows (which is clearly wrong, since the UI is unusable) whenever a "manifest" file is available. Open registry editor and create the following DWORD registry key:

Enable Windows to prioritise external manifests by creating and setting this registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SideBySide\PreferExternalManifest (DWORD) to 1

2) create a "manifest" file that tells Windows that Evernote is not using high dpi UI:

create the file Evernote.exe.manifest with the following contents and place it next to Evernote.exe in C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote:

(use Notepad or something similar - I had to save it in another location first and then copy because of file rights)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>

<assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0" xmlns:asmv3="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3">

<assemblyIdentity
    type="win32"
    processorArchitecture="*"
    version="11.0.0.0"
    name="Evernote.exe">
  </assemblyIdentity>

<description>Evernote</description>

<trustInfo xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v2">
  <security>
    <requestedPrivileges>
      <requestedExecutionLevel xmlns:ms_asmv3="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3"
        level="asInvoker"
        ms_asmv3:uiAccess="false">
      </requestedExecutionLevel>
    </requestedPrivileges>
  </security>
</trustInfo>

<asmv3:application>
    <ms_windowsSettings:dpiAware xmlns:ms_windowsSettings="http://schemas.microsoft.com/SMI/2005/WindowsSettings">false</ms_windowsSettings:dpiAware>
  </asmv3:windowsSettings>
</asmv3:application>

</assembly>

note: forum makes an automatic link where it shouldn't so just copy from here: http://pastebin.com/XXqafS0P

Now start Evernote again (no reboot required) and your UI is a bit fuzzy (due to scaling) but works perfectly fine!

Problem solved!  :)

Thanks a lot to Luis and Surface Pro Artist Blog who first proved this workaround for Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator.

Thanks for posting the fix again here,  but just the one post is usually enough - if anyone in any thread mentions the problem again,  they'll get hit with https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/44722-feature-request-support-for-high-resolution-displays-in-windows-8/?p=332203 by one of the moderators...

I'm not willing to try out a beta version, but can anyone say if the annoying printing bugs have been fixed? The ones that cause overlapping characters to be clipped, and underlines to be drawn through the characters instead of beneath them?

Yes, that is very annoying. They still have not corrected it, even in the beta. Hopefully they will.

A new beta version of Evernote for Windows is available. You can download it here

5.8.0 Beta release notes:

Fixed:

• A bug causing MS Office documents attached to notes to not open in some cases
  • Various bugs causing crashes
  • Bugs that may cause sync to fail unexpectedly and manifest as the following in the Activity log:
    • "TRAN_SYNC_ERROR text:'BASE_ITEM'"
    • "No more data to read"

The list of bugs that may cause sync to fail unexpectedly fixed include "No more data to read". I'm using version 5.8.0 Beta however the bug remains. It's been over 30 days can not synchronize my data with the windows client. My year of premium user to this end, missing 3 days, and I do not feel safe to renew, as the service does not work as expected.

Sorry for my bad English.

Archived