Lost all my Evernote notes

Leo Meuris

Idea

10 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi.  If this was after the recent update - Evernote's KB article about the v6.x release and subsequent isues is here - https://evernote.com/contact/support/kb/#/article/105269246

Plus a blog item on 6.x - http://blogs.canoe.ca/canoetech/signs-of-the-times/evernote-6-for-mac-update-may-cause-files-to-appear-lost/

Most important tip about the latest version (6.0.3)  seems to be to reboot the device after the update and allow Evernote to reindex its database.

gazumped, Stop pushing version 6.03 as the solution to disappearing notes problem! Your profile says you're a Windows user. Version 6.03 for Mac is the problem, not the solution! I ran into exactly the same problem as described above by Leo Meuris. I did experience the slowness and title loss reported about with versions 6 & 6.01 from the Apple store, but I did not lose any notes then. It only happened after I installed version 6.03 upon receiving the “Important notice: Upgrade your Evernote for Mac version” email from the team on Saturday. Big mistake: at first, Evernote displayed no window at all, nothing. Only when I restarted my machine did Evernote launch, but only my synchronized notebooks appeared but my local notebook is gone. I did not have this problem with versions 6 & 6.01. Now the forum says installing version 6.03 will solve notebook disappearance problems. How could that be when it is responsible for that very problem? Version 6.03 CREATES the problem, it does not solve it. I filed a ticket with support team, but I am yet to hear from them.

• Level 5*

Thanks for your input,  but Leo hasn't indicated whether or not he's already on 6.0.0,  or any other version up to 6.0.3.  It seems to me reasonable to promote Evernote's responses since that has been a major cause of Mac issues are here lately. 

You seem to have some passionate views on the update,  which of course you're entitled to.  The idea however is to offer some suggestions on how to fix the OP's problem.  If yours is to raise a bug report via the support link,  then it can't hurt...

Leo Meuris is back. 

My problem is automatically solved in the mean time.

I had Mac-version 6.0.0 when the problem occurred.

After about 15 minutes, my documents were back. Only the latest document lost its title.

Now I have upgraded to Mac version 6.0.3.

My problem is solved.

Thanks for your input. Leo.

• Level 5

gazumped, Stop pushing version 6.03 as the solution to disappearing notes problem!

Version 6.03 CREATES the problem, it does not solve it. I filed a ticket with support team, but I am yet to hear from them.

I understand your frustration but

1. it is not gazumpeds' fault
  2. The statement is not true in general

I am a Mac user. I made similar recommendations as gazumped. The recommendations worked for me and others.

From all posts I read this is what I think the situation is:

• There is no loss of notes
  • Version 6.0 lost note titles V 6.0.1 fixes this issue
  • Upgrading from 5.x to 6.x caused a reindexing of the database and a slow load of notes and therefore, people thought they lost notes
  • The App Store version might have a special issue that causes slow loading of notes (see https://discussion.e...e-2#entry331456)

To summarize my recommendations and the ones made by other users:

• Backup your data
  • Perform a special Enex-file export of your local notebooks to prevent loss when switching from App Store to Direct Download version
  • Download the latest Direct Download version from the Evernote site OR an earlier 5.x version that suits you best
  • Uninstall Evernote completely and install the new version as described here: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/77444-how-to-completely-remove-and-reinstall-en-mac/
  • When using V6.x start Evernote and log-out of your account, reboot your Mac, start Evernote and log-in
  • Give Evernote some time to reindex the database and possibly repeat the previous step

And please, don't blame other Evernote users who are trying to help.

Thanks for your help Stuhrer. When I moved from version 6.01 to version 6.03, only my synchronized notebook appeared. My local notebook did not appear. The entire local notebook appears to be gone. While in version 6.01, I could see it, edit it, although I did experience a slow load and the loss of one title. After that it worked fine. In version 6.03, only the synchronized notebook shows. I uninstalled Evernote and installed the earlier 5.x version: only the synchronized notebook and the trash show, each with zero note.

• Level 5

Thanks for your help Stuhrer. When I moved from version 6.01 to version 6.03, only my synchronized notebook appeared. My local notebook did not appear. The entire local notebook appears to be gone. While in version 6.01, I could see it, edit it, although I did experience a slow load and the loss of one title. After that it worked fine. In version 6.03, only the synchronized notebook shows. I uninstalled Evernote and installed the earlier 5.x version: only the synchronized notebook and the trash show, each with zero note.

You are welcome.

This sounds like you did not just switch from 6.0.1 to 6.0.3 but also from the App Store version to the direct download version or vice versa. These two versions use different locations for the database. The reason is that Apple has special sandbox requirements for App Store apps. If you don't export your local notebooks into Enex files before and re-import them after the switch you will lose the local notebooks.

It might be possible though that your local notebooks are still there. I suggest the following:

• Backup your data with Time Machine
  • Download the version you are not using at the moment
  • Unstall it over the existing one
  • Start the app. See whether your local notebooks are there.
  • If not you may use the backup to restore
  • If the local notebooks are there, you can keep this version. If you don't want to keep this one you should switch back using this procedure: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/77444-how-to-completely-remove-and-reinstall-en-mac/. This describes the Enex file export/import. 

I keep my fingers crossed.

Stuhrer, this was exactly the case! I did as you suggested and my notebook was back. I guess I will stick to the Apple store version for now. Thank you so much!

I didn't see anything about this issue on the forum. Shouldn't there be a mention of that somewhere?

• Level 5

Stuhrer, this was exactly the case! I did as you suggested and my notebook was back. I guess I will stick to the Apple store version for now. Thank you so much!

I didn't see anything about this issue on the forum. Shouldn't there be a mention of that somewhere?

I am glad to hear that your local notebook is back.

I posted these recommendations quite often recently and others did the same. Unfortunately, you must have missed these posts. But I agree that Evernote should warn its users that a switch could lead to a loss of local notebooks.

I hope that you now can work with Evernote but it seems that there is a problem with slow loading with the App Store version. But now you know how to switch.

Archived