Evernote 6.0.3 on MAC extremely slow!

a_lopez

Idea

My Evernote app was just updated and now it takes almost two minutes just for a note to show up after I select it on the lefts-side note list.  That makes my envernote on MAC pretty much un-usable. 

Any advice on how to improve the slowness? 

I have a MAC Mini i5 processor, premium evernote account and a moderate sized database - been using evernote for around 3 years now.  Evernote app just updated to 6.0.3 and it told me it was "migrating the database" which took a while.

36 replies to this idea

Came here just to report this issue.

It's incredibly annoying. Normal work almost impossible.

I've found a "better than nothing" workaround that works for me: When it starts getting slow I open another note, close it and go back to the original one. After that, it's for a couple of minutes responsive again.

Well, let's hope that this is fixed soon. 

I have the same problem.    MacBook Pro - 2012, less than 1000 notes.  So sluggish after update.  This is about the slowest software I've seen on the Mac.   Moving a cursor to the next line sometimes take 5 seconds.  Cut/Paste is so frustrating.  Also, it changes fonts, alternate words between bold and normal after I select bold.

Please, evernote is toooooooo slow now.
I used to always open the application for reference but then I realized it could be the application slowing my computer down.

T_______________T

Everything is delaying which drives me crazy.

Exactly. I did the same thing earlier and had the exact same thought. Once I closed Evernote, my laptop worked great again. It was eating up an entire core as I typed.

Then I went to the Evernote Web client in Safari since I was online. This worked out but I want it fixed. No way a note app should be this resource intensive. I'm not gaming for goodness sake.

I love the Evernote platform, and I rely on it a great deal. I have a pretty old computer (2007 iMac) so I occasionally blame hardware, but I am a little mystified when I look at activity monitor, and Evernote is at 140% of cpu. I've never seen another process go above 100%, and it doesn't happen in response to anything I have done--It can happen in the background, perhaps on a scheduled sync.

I also usually have the performance problems mentioned above, particularly when activating the application, which invariably starts with a 15s beachball. That can be really crazy making. Worse is when I begin to type a title, it beachballs and then moves the cursor to the beginning of the line.

I have a lot of notes. I'm sure the heavy indexing that makes the awesome search possible takes a lot of juice. Should I expect performance to suffer as a result of creating a lot of notes (i.e. using Evernote)? Are there steps I can take to improve performance? 

EN 6.0.3

MacBookPro 2010 running Yosemite

Typing is irritatingly slow.   Most of my notes are to-do type list documents, which I know EN is sub-par at anyway.   But even on ones that are just straight text, no to-do check boxes, typing is still about 500-1000 ms latency.   It's as if it's waiting to send what I'm typing somewhere remote to be synced, or checked, before it shows up in the note.

Anyone found a fix yet?

• Level 5*

If you are still experiencing slow performance in EN Mac, you may want to update to the latest Version 6.0.3.

See Ver 6.0.3 Release thread for info and download link.  Note this is the DirectDL ver which does NOT have the issues of the Mac AppStore ver.

I have updated two Macs, including a low-power 2011 MBA, to Ver 6.0.3 and they are running fine.

• Level 5*

I have 6.0.6?

If you have Ver 6.0.6 and are still experiencing slow performance the day after your update (need to allow time for reindexing to complete) and having restarted your Mac, then you should submit a BUG report.

Submit a BUG report via an EN Support Ticket. In the Support Form, select "Report a bug, crash, or data lost", and start the Ticket Title with "BUG:  " to make it clear.  Reporting a bug should be available to all users, including Free Account owners.

I have the most recent direct download version, and so far I don't see a change in performance (except for a couple of crashes).

I, like most people, also use Dropbox, and theorize that Evernote and Dropbox may not play well together? The Evernote performance is always the worst if there is dropbox activity (why does it take 30min do download a file list?).

Does Evernote re-index with every update? 

• Level 5*

I've used both Evernote and DropBox for years, and have never noticed one affecting the other.

But I do have a very high Internet broadband connection, >> 50 Mbps.

If you have a very low speed connection, say << 3 Mbps, then I could see a possible slowdown in Evernote if at the same time DropBox is syncing a lot of files.  I have also seen reports of sync issues when the user has a very slow connection.

You can check your connection using SpeedTest.net.

Evernote does NOT reindex with every update, only when there have been some internal structure changes that need it.

I have the most recent direct download version, and so far I don't see a change in performance (except for a couple of crashes).

I, like most people, also use Dropbox, and theorize that Evernote and Dropbox may not play well together? The Evernote performance is always the worst if there is dropbox activity (why does it take 30min do download a file list?).

Does Evernote re-index with every update? 

JMichael great advice! Many thanks. I was freaking out. Got a big open book exam tomorrow, all my notes were in Evernote and searches were averaging a minute. Did what you suggested and its gone back to being super quick. Running 6.0.6 on a 4 year old MBA 1.86 Ghz and 2Gb ram.

Make sure you have done the following:

1. Allow up to a day for reindexing to complete.
    (performance will be slow during reindexing)
  2. Restart your Mac.
  3. In EN Mac, sign out, quit EN, restart your Mac, Open EN and sign in.

If you are still having issues, then I'd suggest you post back here, and Submit a BUG report via an EN Support Ticket. In the Support Form, select "Report a bug, crash, or data lost", and start the Ticket Title with "BUG:  " to make it clear.  Reporting a bug should be available to all users, including Free Account owners.

EN 6.0.3

MacBookPro 2010 running Yosemite

Typing is irritatingly slow.   Most of my notes are to-do type list documents, which I know EN is sub-par at anyway.   But even on ones that are just straight text, no to-do check boxes, typing is still about 500-1000 ms latency.   It's as if it's waiting to send what I'm typing somewhere remote to be synced, or checked, before it shows up in the note.

Anyone found a fix yet?

I've got the same symptoms, whether at home or at work - crappy slow computer at work (iMac 2009) but a very good one at home, with SSD, where OSX is pretty fast (MacBook 2014), and it's been like that for weeks, and every time I use. Right after opening Evernote it's ok, but as times goes by the latency starts to go up . It doesn't seem to get to 1000ms , though, but it's still pretty annoying. On preferences, it is set to sync notes every 30 minutes, the sluggishness doesn't seem to be related to that.

Searches are extremely slow:  several minutes on a 2014 high-end MacBook Pro w/Yosemite.

If this is due to re-indexing, then it is a design error not to communicate that fact.  Thousands of us out here think there is something wrong with the application.  All you needed was a modal dialog upon launch:  "Some functions will be slow while re-indexing this new version of Evernote."

Also, it was a design error to change the "change notebooks" feature from a simple popup menu to a modal dialog.  I have been angry at this application half a dozen times already, and it's only been installed 10 minutes.

I've been a "pro" user for over 5 years, and this is the first time I've been moved to complain.  You guys have been so good.  Please, please, don't regress to the mean.

Just chiming in to echo all of the above. 

MacBook Air, 10.9.5, Evernote 6.0.3 - All my thumbnails are visible, but an individual note takes a MINIMUM of 90 seconds to load... This is crippling.... I'm gonna have to start migrating materials out of Evernote, I just can't work like this. 

• Level 5*

2. Restart your Mac.

If you are still having issues, then I'd suggest you post back here, and Submit a BUG report via an EN Support Ticket. In the Support Form, select "Report a bug, crash, or data lost", and start the Ticket Title with "BUG:  " to make it clear.  Reporting a bug should be available to all users, including Free Account owners.

Unfortunately I'm in the same boat. Things were ok(ish) on the upgrade to 6.0.0 / .1 /.2 but .3 is pretty awful and makes evernote unusable. 

I can't imagine why something would take a day to re-index as well! There's not that much text in my notes!!

I just posted the following - I am so depressed by the way Evernote on my Mac is not working!  I conducted the recommended upgrade and the Evernote I used to love now sucks!  I cannot even create new notes in existing folders.  The only thing I can do is create "tags" for a note that I am unable to create.  I have no idea what you did, but you have ruined what was a great cross platform, cross product app!

• Level 5

I just posted the following - I am so depressed by the way Evernote on my Mac is not working!  I conducted the recommended upgrade and the Evernote I used to love now sucks!  I cannot even create new notes in existing folders.  The only thing I can do is create "tags" for a note that I am unable to create.  I have no idea what you did, but you have ruined what was a great cross platform, cross product app!

Unfortunately I'm in the same boat. Things were ok(ish) on the upgrade to 6.0.0 / .1 /.2 but .3 is pretty awful and makes evernote unusable. 

I can't imagine why something would take a day to re-index as well! There's not that much text in my notes!!

Did you try this:

2. Restart your Mac.

?

If not, I recommend you try it.

And I just saw this: https://discussion.e...e-2#entry331456 which suggests that the direct download version might be the better choice.

If all that doesn't help please submit a bug report to let Evernote know that something still is seriously wrong with the version.

My photos wouldn't show in the window. I was seriously thinking about dumping Evernote, but tried this, and it worked:

3. (see start of thread) In EN Mac, sign out, quit EN, restart your Mac, Open EN and sign in.

So glad, as I was not looking forward to shopping for new software. I use Evernote for all my stuff - happy I can keep it :)

Tried all of the above and still very slow on 6.0.3.  Added features that we don't need (Chat?) and messed up the core bread and butter features that made EN great (FAST!).  So disappointing.  My specific issues:

- when searching for a note, typing in search text, results are VERY slow to display, basically unresponsive.  very hard to find anything now

- when adding attachment by drag-drop, especially PDF, VERY slow to 'accept' the file - unresponsive, so i don't know if it even rec'd the file...then about a minute later it shows up.  huge TIME WASTER

...annoying new features, moving to new notebook now requires two 'clicks', can't just drop down and move to notebook have to add another click.

again, EN was great b/c it was simple to use and very good at what it did - especially ultra fast search.  Now it's just about not usable. Ugh

JMichael, i was running the download version when i first posted this.  I'm now running the Beta version Marcus posted in the thread you referred to.  Still having issues with performance, blank notes, slow to paste, slow to search - been over 24 hrs. so i'm thinking it's not related to indexing.  

I followed the suggestion by JMichael and Marcus: now Evernote version 6.0.3 on OS X 10.10.1 seems working ok.

I am using it from an hour after executing the two above points, and its speed is totally different from before. The cursor is returned speedy appearing where I clicked! (before applying the suggestion the cursor taked many seconds to appear and it was almost impossible to work in the editor!)

Then I totally agree with Gemfinder:

"If this is due to re-indexing, then it is a design error not to communicate that fact.  Thousands of us out here think there is something wrong with the application.  All you needed was a modal dialog upon launch saying:"

1) to be patient waiting for reindexing

2) to log off from the software and reboot the mac (perhaps various times).

Then I suggest Evernote Corporation to send an email to EACH evernote user recommending the two above points suggested by JMichael and Marcus but not enough evident for each user.

I hope that next time Evernote Corporation be more cautious before releasing a new version of Evernote. It needs a good test and good release notes!!!

This time it created enormous problems to us Evernote users!

Since the time I opened this thread, I have in fact seen a dramatic improvement in performance on my Mac - so possibly my issue was due to the extended background indexing issue. I'm very relieved! Will post again if I see further performance issues, and I agree that it would be good to somehow set user expectations with a prompt when the update occurs.

I've tried the suggestions from this thread including waiting for re-indexing (it's been a week). I tried to revert to an older version as well but couldn't successfully uninstall the current version (I also don't have TimeMachine set up). I've also tried the newer beta version. So far, nothing has worked. My evernote is still very slow and I believe it is affecting the overall performance/speed of my computer. Are there any other suggestions or options for fixing this?

Thank you.

Archived