6.0.3 Slow editing, type, cut/copy, all editing on Yosemite

Neubauer

Idea

6.0.3 Slow on Yosemite

Typing, deleting, copy and pasting, all the basic editing functions are slow enough to be called broken on Yosemite.

OneNote is looking really good, can I export my Evernote data to OneNote? How do I do that?

Any word on when your planning on fixing your product?

18 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

@Matogo:  Restarting your Mac and allowing up to a day to complete reindexing often fixes some issues.

If that does not resolve your issues and you are running AppStore 6.0.3, then you might want to try switching to Direct Download 6.0.3.

See Evernote Mac v6.0.3 Released 

6.0.3 isn't just slow on Yosemite, it's completely unusable. I'm a law student in finals right now and am furious with Evernote's functioning w/Yosemite. Every time I want to make a single edit it takes 5 seconds. I've used Evernote for two years now and cannot believe how awful it has become. 

• Level 5*

Wow JMichael, did I read you right ?

We should try beta version of this crappy 6 version to see if it works ?!...

I have been struggling with the exact same problem as described by the other users, I finally decided to go back to the previous (5.xxx) version of the software which was fine. 

I just want to remind you that most of us are paying users (premium or business) and this is not part of our job to beta test software for a company we are not working for, we are clients ! I my opinion this proposal is really far away from the common sense... Beta testing should be done by evernote's employees to make sure that when an update is pushed to us, is, if not bug free, at least usable. I cannot imagine that much tests have bee done as we are a lot of people experiencing those problems...

Manes, perhaps you mistook me for an Evernote employee.  I am not.  I am, like you, just another user.

I couldn't agree with you more about Evernote's approach to quality and testing.  I have long said it is very poor, and needs immediate attention.

Having said that, I was just offering a *possible* (but not recommended) solution to the issues that a number of users were having.

It is indeed a very sad thing to have to rely on a BETA version to solve your issues, but, if nothing else works, it MIGHT be worth trying.

Wow JMichael, did I read you right ?

We should try beta version of this crappy 6 version to see if it works ?!...

I have been struggling with the exact same problem as described by the other users, I finally decided to go back to the previous (5.xxx) version of the software which was fine. 

I just want to remind you that most of us are paying users (premium or business) and this is not part of our job to beta test software for a company we are not working for, we are clients ! I my opinion this proposal is really far away from the common sense... Beta testing should be done by evernote's employees to make sure that when an update is pushed to us, is, if not bug free, at least usable. I cannot imagine that much tests have bee done as we are a lot of people experiencing those problems...

I have opened a ticket since more than 10 days, and really nothing changed : I have been asked to update several time, sending log files, completely erase, re-installing, and so on.... No change at all in the performances... I am supposed to renew premium access in february 2015, no need to say that I will think twice before doing it, and in the meantime, searching for alternative way of working. I have already lost enough time at this game.

I am just a fed up guy lost in this mess !

• Level 5*

Those still having issues with slow editing, etc, might want to consider updating to EN Mac 6.0.4 Beta 2, just released:

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/78992-evernote-for-mac-604-beta-2-released/

IF you do try the Beta, please post whether or not it fixes your issues in the above Beta thread so all will know.

It is BETA, so be forewarned, but it is specifically designed to fix the issues you are seeing.  You might want to do a full backup of your Evernote folder BEFORE updating.

See Location of Evernote Data Folder for EN Mac  

After the debacle a couple weeks ago with the release of version 6, I uninstalled the AppStore updated version I had and reverted to 5.7.2. Things are working and I'm happy with Evernote. And yet, Evernote recently sent me an email inviting/encouraging me to upgrade to the newest of version 6 (which they claimed had fixed the initial Mavericks related issues). I'm pleased to view this thread before falling for that. With 12,000 notes and about 25 GB of information - downgrading was time consuming enough that I care not to upgrade and re-downgrade if/when these problems persist. I will wait for 6.0.4... or maybe 6.1 or maybe 7.0.

• Level 5

I have tried all the methods, no improvement

OK, so you are using the direct download version 6.0.3, you gave your Mac a day to re-index, you rebooted your Mac and it is still slow.

One last try: Try to log-out of your Evernote account, reboot your Mac, start Evernote and log-in again.

I am using the direct download version 6.0.3 with ~2500 notes and it is running extremely well.

If this doesn't help do what JMichael suggested.

Good luck.

• Level 5*

@rayson:  Sorry to hear that.  So the only other suggestion is have is to:

Submit a BUG report via an EN Support Ticket. In the Support Form, select "Report a bug, crash, or data lost", and start the Ticket Title with "BUG:  " to make it clear.  Reporting a bug should be available to all users, including Free Account owners.

@Matogo:  Restarting your Mac and allowing up to a day to complete reindexing often fixes some issues.

If that does not resolve your issues and you are running AppStore 6.0.3, then you might want to try switching to Direct Download 6.0.3.

See Evernote Mac v6.0.3 Released 

6.0.3 isn't just slow on Yosemite, it's completely unusable. I'm a law student in finals right now and am furious with Evernote's functioning w/Yosemite. Every time I want to make a single edit it takes 5 seconds. I've used Evernote for two years now and cannot believe how awful it has become. 

have tried all the methods, no improvement 

• Level 5*

I use this thing to capture important information on the fly on some pretty big development projects of my own. It's scaring me to death right now. That's all i can say, i'm jumping off these forums for now and hoping for the best

this is a mac thread. if you have an ios problem, i suggest posting it in an ios thread, where you can get advice from othe ios users, or submit a support ticket (if you are premium) to contact evernote directly. jumping onto a forum and taking felow users to task for trying to help everyone isn't a very nice thing to do.

• Level 5*

@Neubauer:  How long has it been since your update to Ver 6.0.3?

Some users have reported it has taken hours, even up to a day, for reindexing to complete, depending on how many (and how large) notes you have.  While reindexing, performance can be poor.  

You've probably already tried this, but it may be worth trying again:  Restart your Mac and run Evernote by itself.  Then check the Mac Activity Monitor to see if Evernote, or anything else, is running hot.

FWIW, I have been running Ver 6.0.2 on Yosemite for over a week now and performance is fine.

Also, running Ver 6.0.3 on Mavericks without any issues. 

6.0.3 Slow on Yosemite

Typing, deleting, copy and pasting, all the basic editing functions are slow enough to be called broken on Yosemite.

OneNote is looking really good, can I export my Evernote data to OneNote? How do I do that?

Any word on when your planning on fixing your product?

I use this thing to capture important information on the fly on some pretty big development projects of my own. It's scaring me to death right now. That's all i can say, i'm jumping off these forums for now and hoping for the best

• Level 5*

You missed the tech thread link then?  It does have comments about the new version too.  My volunteer time is precious to me,  and there are a lot of 6.x related issues,  so boilerplate is,  I'm afraid,  a good quick response...

• Level 5*

OK - this is now my standard response on Evernote 6.x for Mac.  There have been comments on various aspects of the update,  and if you search the forums you will be able to find more threads on the subject.  These links may help -

The design is very different,  and if you want to share your view on that,  there's a thread here.
https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/78417-evernote-for-mac-6-design-feedback

There were some bugs with 6.0,  that are gradually being fixed.  To express your feelings on that,  use this thread.
https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/78421-evernote-for-mac-6-mac-app-store-version-notes-not-loading-untitled-note-or-slowness-issues

To fix the initial problems with 6.0 and the later releases,  it's important to download the latest verions of Evernote from their website rather than from the App Store.  The latest version I know of is now here - Update: I believe the App Store is now again in sync with the Evernote website version.

It's also advised to completely remove the current installed version of Evernote and to perform a 'clean' reinstall,  after backing up your database and exporting any local notebooks or unsynced notes - https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/77444-how-to-completely-remove-and-reinstall-en-mac/

If,  in your opinion,  the new version is unusable,  it's possible to step back to an earlier version of Evernote after completing the step above - just find an installer for an earlier version.  It's not necessarily a good move to go back though - updates include tweaks and fixes for earlier bugs that you'll be missing.  Check these posts for more information - https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/77171-how-do-i-revert-back-to-previous-version-of-everynote/

same problem too. I'm using 2013 early Retina Macbook Pro. Scrolling is sluggish and I can feel considerable slow and lag when copying, pasting and even editing. The experience is the most terrible by far.

Archived