Avoid new window when creating new note in Mac 6.0.1 and later?

I prefer to edit my new notes within the main application window, on the right hand note pane. But this version automatically opens a new window when I choose new note. Is there a way to just start a new note in the main app window like in the previous version of Evernote Mac?

• Level 5

There is some new behaviour when creating a new note in 6.*. It works like this:

If the new note should be visible in the current context, then it is displayed in the main window, otherwise it is displayed in its own window.

Some examples:

- If you’re looking at all notes and try to add a new note, the new note should appear in the main window.

- If you’re looking at your default notebook and try to create a new note it should appear in the main window.

- If you’re looking at a notebook other than the default notebook and try to create a new note, it should appear in its own window.

- If you’re looking at the notebooks list and try to create a new note, it should appear its own window.

In the past we would just switch the view out from underneath you, which some people found confusing.

• Level 5*

@Justin, I actually like this new behavior, but comes as a surprise.

It would be very, very helpful, and avoid a lot of issues like this one, if you guys would at least mention changes in behavior in the Release Notes and initial Forum thread announcing the release.

There is some new behaviour when creating a new note in 6.*. It works like this:

If the new note should be visible in the current context, then it is displayed in the main window, otherwise it is displayed in its own window.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks - upgrade to 6.0.3 makes it behave the way I want - with the new note opening in the main window context. 

Correction: the unwanted behavior continues when I have a tag selected. Specifically, the new note window opens in the main window context - as desired -  when I'm viewing "all notes" in a workbook (I use the 'side list' view), but it opens a new application window - undesired - if I've got a tag selected in the main window view. I'm now running 6.0.5

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5

the new note window opens in the main window context - as desired -  when I'm viewing "all notes" in a workbook (I use the 'side list' view), but it opens a new application window - undesired - if I've got a tag selected in the main window view. I'm now running 6.0.5

Right. As I explained above, when you’re looking at 'all notes', your new note is created in the main window because it is part of 'all notes', but when you’ve got a tag selected, the note is created in its own window because it does not have that tag.

• 1 year later...
  • Level 5*
8 hours ago, KEStay said:

Note, the reason I have "any:" in the search bar is because I want to be able to add "All Notes" to my favorites, and adding the saved search for "any:" is the only way I have found to do it. Is there a better way?

This is really not a good use of the Search operator any:

There are several ways to show all notes:

1. CMD+SHIFT+A
  2. Goto menu View > All Notes
  3. In the left Sidebar, click on the "Notes" button
  4. In the Notebook dropdown list at the top of the Note list, click and select "All Notes"
  5. If you have executed a Search, click the "Clear" button
  • Level 5*
5 minutes ago, KEStay said:

Is there a way to put "Notes" above favorites,

Evernote does NOT have anything called "favorites", so I'm not sure what you are referring to.

If you are referring to the left Sidebar, there is no way I know of to rearrange the order of the groups shown there.

• Level 5*
16 minutes ago, KEStay said:

Is there a way to put "Notes" above favorites, or add all notes to favorites another way so it can be at the top of the list?

Did you mean Shortcuts in the sidebar?

My understanding is you can't rearrange the sections.

I'm not sure why you would want to do this.  By its nature, I would think Shortcuts should be at the top.

Is your post connected to the subject being discussed?

Archived