Alphabetically Sorting Notebooks

Yesterday my Notebooks displayed in the Left Panel suddenly appeared in non-alpha order. I am using the Evernote software on a ThinkPad, which I have used successfully for over one year and never had this happen before. I have logged out of my account, Quit Evernote from the hidden icon tab, even deleted the software from my computer and re-installed the program, but each time the Notebooks appear in a random order. I do not have this problem on the apps on my iPhone and iPad - the Notebooks are listed in alpha order, even after several syncs. Does anyone know how to restore them in alpha order? Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...

I am having the same problem.  My notes finally synced using Windows version 5.8.1, but the notebooks and tags are in a random order.  If I click on a notebook in the side panel, I get a runtime error.  Support is working on it, but it's been several weeks.

• Level 5*

Well,  if support are looking into this I don't want to start tossing out random suggestions.  I've used Evernote in Windows versions from Vista to 8.1 with no notebook sorting issues that I've been aware of..  Is this a 'large number of notebooks' issue - does sort fail after 50 notebooks,  100,  200?  There's a maximum number of 250 notebooks (free/prem/business) so if you're close to that maybe things get difficult?

Well, hell. Misery loves company. I've been trying to troubleshoot this very issue all day. Didn't realize there were others in the same boat. Another topic to follow. I've been following all the "evernote not responding" threads because I have that problem, too. Now I'm struggling just to get back to that state of things. What a mess.

Huge mess!

That's putting it succinctly. I haven't even opened the desktop client since troubleshooting this over the weekend. Hoping the next update will fix it. I've been getting used to the web client, but it will never be as slick as the desktop program. You know: when the desktop program is actually working correctly.

I have the same issue with sorting of my notebooks. But also my notebook stacks are not working. I basically have one "stack" for each notebook in the original stack. And I have the same sorting issue in the Tags section. It happened today, when I updated to the latest version 5.8.1.6061 (274061)

I have the same issue with sorting of my notebooks. But also my notebook stacks are not working. I basically have one "stack" for each notebook in the original stack. And I have the same sorting issue in the Tags section. It happened today, when I updated to the latest version 5.8.1.6061 (274061)

Yes! Thank you, I've been trying to explain that disorder with the stacks. You do it succinctly. 5.8.1.6061 is also the update that sent me into disarray. I keep waiting for a newer version, but it's slow to come this time around.

I have uninstalled the latest version and had to revert back to 5.6.4.4632 before it started working. So it looks like 5.7.2.5753 is also broken. Luckely I always save all software I download :)

I did have some issues though, first I ran in to the "Already Installed by Another User" bug. Which was solved by removing a registry key.

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/64641-success-unable-to-reinstall-error-already-installed-by-another-user/

Second, I had to clear the cache, you can find the location of that through the options dialog in evernote. On the "General" tab.

I have uninstalled the latest version and had to revert back to 5.6.4.4632 before it started working. So it looks like 5.7.2.5753 is also broken. Luckely I always save all software I download :)

I did have some issues though, first I ran in to the "Already Installed by Another User" bug. Which was solved by removing a registry key.

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/64641-success-unable-to-reinstall-error-already-installed-by-another-user/

Second, I had to clear the cache, you can find the location of that through the options dialog in evernote. On the "General" tab.

Smart. I may go that route, myself. 

• 1 year later...

I realize this is a very old thread, but I have been having issues with the left panel not sorting.  I accidentally found a fix.  In the Windows client, go to Tools, Options.  Then just click "OK".  Voila, the left panel sorts.

• 3 months later...

Oh, dear God. Today, I finally sucked it up and paid for the premium version. While I was at it, I decided to update the EN version. Couldn't remember why I hadn't done it in so long. Now I get it -- with the newest version, my notebooks are wildly out of order. They haven't fixed this problem yet? It's been years! Looks like back to 5.6.4 I go.

Hi LaFlamme:

You might try my accidental fix.  I have had no further issues with sorting since that post in April.

Another thing you might try--do a complete shut down and restart, with EN closed before you restart, then run EN and see if it is fixed.

2 hours ago, eafpres said:

Hi LaFlamme:

You might try my accidental fix.  I have had no further issues with sorting since that post in April.

Another thing you might try--do a complete shut down and restart, with EN closed before you restart, then run EN and see if it is fixed.

Yep, tried all those things, plus database rebuilds and several things I've completely forgotten about. No go. Back to version 5.6.4 for me.

Archived