Version 6 on Mac beachballs on quit

rdfuhr

Idea

I just installed Evernote version 6 (tried direct download and also tried Mac App Store version) on both my iMac and MacBook Pro each running Yosemite.

In every case, when I do an Evernote > Quit --- the app "beachballs" and I have to do a force quit.

1.  Is this a known bug? 

2.  Are other users experiencing the same problem?

3.  Does anyone have suggestions as to how to remedy this, or should we wait for a newer version of Evernote?

12 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

@rdfuhr:  I haven't see this issue reported elsewhere, so unfortunately I don't have anything specific to offer other than to ask if you have tried upgrading to the latest version 6.0.3.  If not, See Evernote Mac v6.0.3 Released .

​I just thought of one thing:  Have you tried turning off the Evernote Preference to "sync before quitting"?

Yes, I am running version 6.0.3

I did not see an Evernote Preference to "sync before quitting" but I selected the preference to sync manually.

It still fails to quit in the proper manner and I still have to do a Force Quit

I looked at the Activity Log and, while I don't really know what to look for, I did find the following line, but I am not sure if that is anything to be concerned about.

2014/12/03 19:56:06:309 E|*** -[ENAppController refreshClipperPreferences] main | Evernote was not able to access EvernoteHelper via IPC

• Level 5*

This looks like it references two things:

1. Evernote Helper
  2. Evernote Web Clipper

So, you might try:

1. Uncheck the two EN Helper prefs in Evernote > Preferences > General
    1. Quit Evernote and restart your Mac
  2. Uninstall the EN Web clipper in all your Browsers
    1. In particular the most recent Clipper for FireFox is know to have problems
    2. Restart your Mac after these uninstalls

I looked at the Activity Log and, while I don't really know what to look for, I did find the following line, but I am not sure if that is anything to be concerned about.

2014/12/03 19:56:06:309 E|*** -[ENAppController refreshClipperPreferences] main | Evernote was not able to access EvernoteHelper via IPC

Unfortunately, unchecking the two EN Helper prefs, quitting Evernote, and restarting my Mac and starting Evernote (without having any browser open) continued to result in the necessity of Force Quitting Evernote.

Since this Force Quit is happening on both my iMac and on my MacBook Pro, I believe that there is a bug with Evernote and not with my particular configuration. 

But I can't prove it is a bug with Evernote so will wait and see whether anybody else reports this and wait for the next release of Evernote.

• Level 5*

Sorry that didn't fix it for you.  As I mentioned earlier I have not seen any other reports of this.

I am running Ver 6.0.2 on two Macs, one with Mavericks and the other with Yosemite, and I've had no problems quitting EN.

So, my best guess is that it is something in one of your Notes.  Look for anything unusual, like large attachments.  Also, before you quit EN, check the Mac Activity Monitor to see if EN is running high on either CPU or Memory.

Good luck and let us know if anything further develops.

Puzzling, because I didn't have this Force Quit problem with earlier versions of Evernote; only with 6.0.3

My Notes are, I think, all very standard, but I will see if anything looks suspicious.

Also, I will run the Mac Activity Monitor and see whether anything looks suspicious there..

Archived