The new work chat really is messed up.  We have three premium accounts.  Main account shares several notebooks.  The other two accounts with which these notebooks are shared can NOT work chat any notes in those notebooks.  Also the send via email is grayed out on those notebooks.  As usual, support has been very slow and no help at all.  Want to guess what they suggested?

1. Reinstall Evernote - their answer to everything, very seldom fixes anything.

2. Re-share notebooks - thier second answer to everything, seldom fixes anything.

Neither 1 or 2 had any affect on the two accounts.

We have committed to using evernote in our business, but are beginning to look at ONeNote just because of problems like this.  Seems almost every time a new version of evernote comes out, some things are fixed but others are broken.

We would have MUCH rather had very good tables rather than a worthless chat feature.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Rick

• Like 2

I am experiencing issues with the work chat in my workplace as well. 

Everybody is sharing their notebooks among the sales team, however one associates Evernote does not have any functionality in the work chat. She can click it and 'send' messages, however they aren't received by anybody and she is unable to receive work chats from anybody.

We have also committed to using evernote in our business, but may have to go with an alternate option if we cannot use the funtionality.

RJ

• 3 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

Hi.  Sorry for a long delay in responding here.  This last month has been a little busy...

I can see where work chat wouldn't affect shared notes.  Work Chat is kind've an alternative to sharing,  not something you can use as well.  One user can only work chat on items that user owns.  Someone who is unable to send or receive messages though is not sending correctly,  not using the right email address,  or not plugged into email.  It might be an idea to conduct some tests to see if anything chat-related works on that computer.

Hi.  Sorry for a long delay in responding here.  This last month has been a little busy...

I can see where work chat wouldn't affect shared notes.  Work Chat is kind've an alternative to sharing,  not something you can use as well.  One user can only work chat on items that user owns.  Someone who is unable to send or receive messages though is not sending correctly,  not using the right email address,  or not plugged into email.  It might be an idea to conduct some tests to see if anything chat-related works on that computer.

No problems at all with our pcs.  never did get help from "support".  By changing to business for 3 times the price, all problems went away with work chat and sharing.  Of course that was after we went thru all the problems of converting.  Piece of advice for anyone converting, backup your data directory before converting!

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Work Chat is kind've an alternative to sharing,  not something you can use as well.  

However, in what seems like a misguided attempt to promote it, sending someone a sharing link now goes through Work Chat. It used to be delivered to their email.

This has resulted in my co-founder not having a key notebook shared to him whilst he was overseas and I just thought he was ignoring it.

Evernote's recent washed-out design has significantly decreased usability to the point where it's very hard to read background prompts as what sections in the Share dialog mean.

The dialog starts with a Work Chat list and a Contacts list. However, when you send a sharing message even with a contact, it comes back to a Work Chat dialog so I have no idea if these have gone through. I can't find a way to send a sharing request apparently outside of Work Chat.

• Level 5*

It's not possible to share securely outside of Work Chat,  though it is possible to create a public link to the notebook and send that link by any email or messaging system.  In the same way if using work chat,  a separate messaging system could be used to confirm that the share invite has been seen and accepted.  Confirmation is always advisable given the existence of spam folders.

Hi AndyDent,

Sorry for the issues you've encountered.  

This has resulted in my co-founder not having a key notebook shared to him whilst he was overseas and I just thought he was ignoring it.

While we have changed the delivery mechanism for the share, the recipient behavior hasn't change.  Except in the case when both the sender and recipient belong to the same business, when a notebook is shared, the recipient MUST click on the link to access the notebook and synchronize it to their own accounts.  When we were delivering the share notification via email, the recipient would still be required to click the link and login to their Evernote account via the web client to access the notebook.  With Work Chat the steps haven't changed but we've shortcut the process so that the user could receive an in-app notification with the link instead of an email if they already have used Work Chat before.  If not, they would receive an email just like the original process.

Its possible that your co-founder did not understand or ignored the email or there is a problem with the system and its not behaving as I described.  It would be helpful if you could clarify what happened so that we can investigate further.

The dialog starts with a Work Chat list and a Contacts list. However, when you send a sharing message even with a contact, it comes back to a Work Chat dialog so I have no idea if these have gone through. I can't find a way to send a sharing request apparently outside of Work Chat.

We are looking into the sharing dialog across all the clients to make it more clear how you are sharing the content and less emphasis on chat.  This should trickle out across all the clients in the next few months.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi. I have Evernote installed on my Windows 7 computer and I'm running the latest free version of Evernote. I have created notes and clicked "Share", "Share note"and my friends are NOT receiving any email at all with a link to the note. Their emails end in @gmail.com and @scpc.org.au  They did check their spam folders, and the emails didn't end up there. When I share a note via Work Chat to my work email address (ending in @fsn.org.au) it did work. Please help!!

Hi @davidatscpc,

I removed your post because its not a good idea to expose your email addresses on a public forum.  When you share notes or notebooks with your colleagues for the first time they will receive emails that ask them to create an account or login to an existing account.  This is necessary for us to bind the email address to which you sent the messages to their account if the emails you sent to are different from the emails that they use to login to their account.  Without this step, they will not see your content.

If your colleagues don't seem to be receiving these emails, have them check their SPAM or Junk email folders or search for the email address no-reply@evernote.com.  We manage our emails religiously to avoid them being tagged as SPAM but some mail systems are very strict.  If they find these emails, please have them click on the button embedded in the email and follow through the subsequent screens.

If you still are having issues, I would contact our support via the links below.  You can safely give your emails to our support staff and they will be more than happy to help you resolve your issue.

• Level 5*

@mcheng - good call on removing the original email,  but you may want to look at the forum settings too - along with a dozen or so others I 'follow' this forum and receive emails with the full text of original posts,  so have all of the email addresses available.  I'll (obviously) delete it,  but maybe a warning to new posters about including personal details would be a good idea?

Hi,

I found this thread because I am having some problems with Chat and sharing a notebook. The problem became evident when I tried sharing a folder with my son. He never received the New Chat. In fact, subsequent attempts by me to initiate a chat failed. I had him try to initiate a chat with me, and that worked, although oddly. He appears not as his own account, but as an anonymous "Evernote User" with a numerical ID of some sort. Both my son and I have premium accounts.

I later tested my chat and sharing with my wife, who does not have a premium account, and we are apparently able to communicate and share just fine. That indicates that the problem is possibly some problem with my son's account (settings, whatever), or something between our accounts. A final test, having my wife initiate a chat with my son's account, worked fine. That seems to narrow the scope down to just the relationship between my son's account and mine, which is a pretty selective problem.

There is a ticket in to support: #1169953. I will have to update it with some of my later tests. I welcome any insight into this, and any suggestions where I might look at various settings, profile setup, contact sources, etc. to see if this is a user-fixable issue.

Cheers,

Mike Kelly

I do not believe so. I checked the account settings and they seem to be correctly using his e-mail address. Plus, the tests using my wife's account to send to him worked, using the same e-mail address I used. Is there a specific setting I should check; maybe I missed something.

Thanks for your reply.

• Level 5*

Hi.  No settings that I'm aware of - a first-time share should generate an email,  even if it is to a non-evernote address;  the recipient would be able to add it to his existing account if that were the case.  The only thing I can think of is that a 'wild' spam filter ate your email before it could be received.  If your son has another email address you could try again...

I also have good news. Shane J, from Evernote support, responded to my support ticket. He suggested my son change the contact name associated with his account and save the changes. That worked, for whatever reason. I can now initiate chats with him, and he shows up with the contact name instead of anonymously. I also successfully shared a folder using the chat method.

So, all is well. The only anomaly is that I still cannot initiate a chat with my son using his GMail address. But, as I told Shane, that is pretty much academic since I can use the contact name quite as easily.

Hopefully this solution will help others with the same problem. Thank you, gazumped, for your suggestions.

Cheers all,

Mike Kelly

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
  • Level 5*
13 hours ago, Jewellsy said:

Are you able to use the chat feature, for instance, from a basic package to a plus package? I have a work partner with only the basic package and I have the plus package. Are we able to use the chat feature?

Hi.  Any Evernote account can chat with anyone,  including non-Evernote users - Quick start for Work Chat

• 2 months later...

I have been having problems with work chat for quite some time.  My colleague is a premium user and loves Evernote as it allows her to track lots of disparate things.  I do NOT love Evernote, and especially not the Work Chat feature, as it does not show anything in the Windows version which is what I prefer to use.  I get notified that there are work chats, can click on them, but the window that should display the content of the chat is completely empty - useless, of course.  If I go to a browser version I can see the chat.  If I go to my phone and look at it there I can see it, but not on the Windows 10 version.  (Version attached)  I uninstalled and reinstalled at least once - no change in behavior.  

Any help would be appreciated.  Everything else seems to work fine, only the display of Work Chats, and then only in the standalone Windows 10 version.

Capture.JPG

• Ex Employees

@jyodak

Try these steps to get the chats to display on Evernote for Windows Desktop.

1. Exit Evernote (File > Exit)
  2. Navigate to C:\Users\[your_username]\Evernote
  3. Delete the folder entitled "MessageView folder" within the folder "Evernote"
  4. Reopen Evernote

Either this (though I think not) or actually signing out of my gmail account and signing in again, or some combination of both has fixed my problem.  For those like gazumped, I am not a paid user, someone I share notes with is.  She is also on a mac and I am on a pc.  It has been resolved.  Thanks all!!!

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...