Evernote Windows sync on wireless only

kaf

Does Evernote for Windows allow syncing over a wireless network only?  My company has strict rules on customer data privacy and so, we cannot sync into the Evernote cloud.  Does Evernote Premium allow syncing over wifi only??

• Level 5

Hello and welcome to the forum.

I think you are mixing up several things here:

1. In order to sync you need to be connected to the internet (WLAN or LAN)

2. You can keep notes in local notebooks on your harddrive. These notes will not be sync'ed. That means you cannot use them on other clients and you will not be able to share these notes.

• Level 5*

Is the issue client data on the web or the fear of hacking of your companies network?  If it is the former, then to Stuhrer's point, wifi really doesn't make any difference.  If it is the latter I would guess their policy would be to not allow wifi access in the workplace, so no help there. 

The issue is with client data in Evernote's cloud (outside of my company's control.)  There are products (ex:  GoodReader) that sync via wifi only without using a cloud in the middle.  It requires a little more manual work on the my part, but doesn't leave sensitive data on an Evernote disk somewhere.

I would like to be able to take notes while in meetings on my iPad and then sync those with my Windows laptop (without using the EN cloud.)  I currently use EN on my iPhone and iMac for personal activities and really wanted to extend it's use to my business activities.  I'll have to find another solution that bypasses the cloud in the middle.  (BTW, Microsoft OneNote is a competitive app but it also requires the use of MS's cloud in the middle.)

• Level 5

I would like to be able to take notes while in meetings on my iPad and then sync those with my Windows laptop (without using the EN cloud.)  I currently use EN on my iPhone and iMac for personal activities and really wanted to extend it's use to my business activities.  I'll have to find another solution that bypasses the cloud in the middle.  (BTW, Microsoft OneNote is a competitive app but it also requires the use of MS's cloud in the middle.)

In that case Evernote is really not the right choice for you. Have a look into ownCloud. Another possibility would be a NAS drive for central storage of your Office documents and mobile MS Office applications for your iPad.

• Level 5*

Any syncing of data in your Evernote account must go through the Evernote servers. You can create local, unsynced notebooks on Mac or WIndows desktop installations, but since they are by definition never synced, you won't be able to share those notes on another device, unless you work at it yourself (export/import, email, etc.)

• Level 5*

Thanks for the detail.  Sounds like one of the products others have suggested, or just email to yourself.  That still sort of hits a server somewhere in the cloud....  I don't know if there is any kind of a tether solution.  Good luck.

Archived