Search feature issue

SoccerMatrix

Hello,

When doing a search under "Notebooks", as soon as the first or second characters are typed into the search box, it starts searching and providing suggestions, that feature is excellent, however, it takes focus away from the search field and then people cannot continue typing the rest of the search query. People have to reach from the mouse and click on the search field again. 

It would be nice to click on the search field and just type the word without the focus to be taken away from the search field.

Thank you.

• Level 5*

Not sure what you mean by "a search under 'Notebooks'". Do you mean the search control at the right hand side of the main toolbar? Or the search control that's above the note list, where you can select a notebook and/or tags? I don't see loss of focus in either of those places.

Wish I could just send you a screenshot.

On the latest version of Evernote (windows).

1. Click on the Notebooks icon on the left menu.

2. Then use the "Search all notes" input field located at the top right, next to the "New Chat" button.

You will see that as soon as you type something the focus is taken off the input field.

Note: I just realized that this issue only happens when you click on the "Notebooks" icon on the left menu first.

If you try searching from within any other notebook, it works. Up until now I was always clicking on "Notebooks" because I thought it was the only way to search all notebooks.

Well at least I found a way around that bug. but still, you guys should still look into it. I image many people, like me, think that they need to click on "Notebooks" to search them all.

• Level 5*

I'm not seeing what you're describing. Generally, if you want to see the notes in a particular notebook, it's easier to select it directly from the left panel or from the notebook selector in the control that's above your note list. I haven't seen any loss of focus in any of my testing.

BTW, "you guys" doesn't ref to me. I'm not an Evernote employee.

I just realised you are not an Evernote staffer, so sorry about the "you guys". 

Now, thanks for trying to help, but you are really not. Telling me how things should work doesn't help. " if you want to see the notes in a particular notebook, it's easier to select it directly from the left panel" then why do they have a search feature? oh, maybe for those who have hundredth of notes within hundredth of notebooks. I guess I am more of a power user than you. But no fear, I got around it, which was all I really came here for. Thanks anyways.

Oh yeah, why do you have so many links to Evernote on your signature block if you are not with Evernote? regardless. Thanks for trying, but no help came from you.

• Level 5*

I just realised you are not an Evernote staffer, so sorry about the "you guys".

No problem; it happens a lot.

Now, thanks for trying to help, but you are really not. Telling me how things should work doesn't help.

It's mainly because you haven't really provided an adequate description of your problem, or at least adequate enough for me to help you better. And the techniques that I mentioned all work; I know, because I use them, pretty much daily. One thing I *don't* do is click on the Notebooks header to search my notes. It doesn't work that well.

" if you want to see the notes in a particular notebook, it's easier to select it directly from the left panel" then why do they have a search feature?

There are shortcut techniques available for certain use cases. They might work for you, which is why I mentioned them. I use the a number of techniques to find the notes that I want, as my needs dictate. Trust me; I know how to use search in Evernote.

oh, maybe for those who have hundredth of notes within hundredth of notebooks.

??? I maintain a relatively small number of notebooks in my two accounts, and tend to use tags to organize my notes. A small number of notebooks means that I can display them all in the left panel, and clicking on one is easy.

I guess I am more of a power user than you.

Well, I guess you probably have a bigger dog than I do, too, for whatever that's worth. Gold ring for you, woo-hoo.

Oh yeah, why do you have so many links to Evernote on your signature block if you are not with Evernote? regardless.

I've been a moderator on these forums for several years; the links are to other areas of the Evernote web site that might be of use to users looking for help. Like you.

Thanks for trying, but no help came from you.

You have a strange way of expressing gratitude...

Archived