issues with search within a note function

Ahoy there. 

Im using 6.0.2.   While the program wide search function within evernote is working fine, CTR+F/searching for words within a note is not working.  That is - no matter what I enter into the internal search function it is always 'not found', even  if it's just the letter 's'.   It's not all my notes - most of them, but some, randomly, seem to be searchable.  It's not OPI indexing; most of the notes are typed text. 

Any ideas and many thanks

j

• 3 weeks later...

Ahoy there. 

Im using 6.0.2.   While the program wide search function within evernote is working fine, CTR+F/searching for words within a note is not working.  That is - no matter what I enter into the internal search function it is always 'not found', even  if it's just the letter 's'.   It's not all my notes - most of them, but some, randomly, seem to be searchable.  It's not OPI indexing; most of the notes are typed text. 

Any ideas and many thanks

j

Same here, except I haven't come across any that are searchable. All notes I've tried are typed text.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi, I'm using 6.0.5 and I'm still having this problem. The only thing that seemed to fix it was selecting all text within the problematic note, cutting the entire text of the note, and then pasting it back using the "paste and match style option."  

Anybody have any idea why this was happening?

• Level 5*

Could be that some random code was hidden in the note body that prevented searches working properly.  SImplify or Remove Formatting might have done the job,  as might exporting the note to an ENEX file and re-importing it,  scrubbing out any disallowed code along the way.  Just one of those IT things..

• 5 weeks later...

Nah. I have this problem for pretty much every note - it worked in an earlier version, but stopped working again.

My suspicion is that it's a problem for longer notes - I notice that on very short notes it is fine - but then, I don't need to use it on very short notes.

If developers could look into testing on longer notes in their unit / acceptance tests on this, then maybe this could get fixed and wouldn't recur.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there,

I had been having the same very frustrating problem for so long...nothing would highlight when I searched even though I knew I had that particular word in there.

I tried changing the text in one of my notes to plain format, as suggested above, and suddenly now it finds anything I want!

I would recommend this if you haven't tried it - I was struggling for months and the solution, at least for me, was very simple in the end.

Hope this helps!

Jane

• 2 months later...

I have been experiencing this issue as well. I copy XML from the browser, paste it into an XML editor, format it (gets color highlighting for syntax), then paste it into the body of a note and search within note cannot find any text in the note. If I delete the text and use paste and match style the text is found. Evernote version 6.0.11. Mac OS X 10.10.3.

Unfortunately, the plain text trick didn't work for me, and really shouldn't be necessary.

This issue has been reported countless times over several *years*, with non-responses given all along the way:

Here in 2012:
https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/28546-archived-search-function-broken-in-evernote-for-mac/
Here in 2013:
https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/47833-problem-searching-notes-in-evernote/
Here in 2014:
https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/78444-issues-with-search-within-a-note-function/
Here in 2015:
https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/82759-basic-search-not-working-properly/

I recently submitted a ticket with very specific examples, and received the terse reply that "Your request has been resolved." When I questioned this clearly false response, I was told "we're working on it", just as many others have been told over the years.

I was looking forward to upgrading from free to Premium when I recently switched to a Mac. But Evernote is almost useless with such a poor search function (on the Mac), so I will *not* be renewing the Premium level of service I have been trying. I’m trying OneNote and other alternatives instead.

None of the new Evernote features add any value when the most basic function – search – is fundamentally broken.

• 11 months later...

Wow, a Year after last person's post & I'm having this problem in iOS. I was about to invest lots of time & effort, & possibly eventually money, into Evernote, but this is such a big bug that shows no evidence of ever being fixed!  Has anyone found an app they prefer?  Thanks!

On 6/11/2016 at 5:04 PM, Eleni33 said:

Wow, a Year after last person's post & I'm having this problem in iOS. I was about to invest lots of time & effort, & possibly eventually money, into Evernote, but this is such a big bug that shows no evidence of ever being fixed!  Has anyone found an app they prefer?  Thanks!

Hi there @Eleni33, welcome to the Forums!

Please check out @cifip's post in the following thread for more information on how searching within a note works in the iOS version of the application versus the desktop:

If you have any iOS related issues or questions, you can direct them here:

https://discussion.evernote.com/forum/216-ios-help/

Cheers!

Archived