Presentation mode useless on mac after upgrade to Evernote 6

topeerz

Idea

Hi!

After I have upgraded evernote on my mac I am not able to start presentation with more than just one slide ... it used to work in 5.* but right now only current note is shown. This makes the whole "presentation" feature useless ... I can't even revert to old evernote version (even though I have binary) as my notebooks got "migrated" to new format ... Seems I am back to vi ;)

BR,

12 replies to this idea

• Level 5

I submitted a bug report on this. The reply was that is was done on purpose and that the 'official' way now is to create a table of contents note for the slides you want to present and use it as start slide.

It works but I don't like it at all. You have to go back to this start slide from every other slide you present. The only alternative would be to create something like a linked list of all slides (the first contains a link to the second and so on). It is really not the way and I will not use the feature in Evernote until it is changed.

On purpose? How you can break so cool feature on purpose ?! The presentation feature alone was the reason I was considering going premium ...

The best thing about presentation used to be that rendering notes from notebook in to acceptable presentation was one click. Now if I am forced to create linked-lists, or just coping all presentation in to one slide and putting delimiters (and titles) it doesn't make sense. Table of content approach just doesn't make sense as well as it forces me to do presentation in the way tool allows not in the way I want.

Really this recent versions looks like hostile takeover ... ;)

It is great news! Shall it already work in 6.0.4 Beta 2 (451178 Direct)? I am still getting only 1-slide presentation after selecting multiple items and using cmd+enter ...

Yes it works on 6.0.4 BETA 2. But you can't switch the note with just left/right/ arrow keys, you need to press CMD additionally. SO 'CMD-left' to previous note and 'CMD-right' to next note. You can also normally launch the presentation from tags, notebooks, atlas locations, by selecting multiple notes or by just starting with single note and then follow the notelist to which the note belongs to.

Let me know what you think once tried.

Yep CMD+arrows works (slides are not visible on presentation layout but I am able to navigate through them). This is big improvement! Now I need to put feature requests for seeing slides in presentation layout and managing order of slides in presentation :)

Yep CMD+arrows works (slides are not visible on presentation layout but I am able to navigate through them). This is big improvement! Now I need to put feature requests for seeing slides in presentation layout and managing order of slides in presentation :)

Can you clarify a bit what do you mean by 'slides'? We've used that term to content between dividers in presentation layout editor but I believe you are meaning something else.

Since we don't have the same way of handling content as other presentation applications, in the end you're presenting your notes, ordering the 'slides' (content between dividers) in layout editor does not really fit the concept.

What would you gain from being able to do that?

When I am getting request to quickly show presentation I would like to just create new notebook like "my cool ad-hoc presentation" copy few notes from other notebooks maybe add one or two new ones and than just do presentation. I am not really interested in merging all notes in to one and using dividers or reformatting notes because in 90% of cases my notes are already created and they are formatted just fine to be presented in one note == one slide mode.

Now lets say that 5 minutes before meeting I am realising that I need to add just-one-more note (slide) to may notebook and I need it in the middle of my presentation. It seems to be a problem; maybe I am missing something but I don't see any way to arrange (re-arrange) my notes in my notebooks in "custom" order. I need to sort them by title, dates, etc. but I can't drag-and-drop them or just assign presentation-order-numbers to them.

The second problem I see is that if I have notebook with 3 notes and I am starting multiple-note-presentation and then I am opening presentation-layout sub-panel I would expect to see all 3 notes in this panel not just the current one.

When I am getting request to quickly show presentation I would like to just create new notebook like "my cool ad-hoc presentation" copy few notes from other notebooks maybe add one or two new ones and than just do presentation. I am not really interested in merging all notes in to one and using dividers or reformatting notes because in 90% of cases my notes are already created and they are formatted just fine to be presented in one note == one slide mode.

Now lets say that 5 minutes before meeting I am realising that I need to add just-one-more note (slide) to may notebook and I need it in the middle of my presentation. It seems to be a problem; maybe I am missing something but I don't see any way to arrange (re-arrange) my notes in my notebooks in "custom" order. I need to sort them by title, dates, etc. but I can't drag-and-drop them or just assign presentation-order-numbers to them.

The second problem I see is that if I have notebook with 3 notes and I am starting multiple-note-presentation and then I am opening presentation-layout sub-panel I would expect to see all 3 notes in this panel not just the current one.

The layout editor is only per note since the expectation is to present a single note and order that with dividers.

But I can see two ways you can present your notes in order you want from a single notebook when you use a single note as a 'slide':

1. select the notes in order you want to present those and then press 'present' --> then notes are presented in the selected order

2. make you notes reminders within your notebook and drag and drop them in reminders to correct order, then start presentation from the first note --> you can follow the reminders in the order you have set them within the presentation now

Hmm from what I see in 6.0.4 order of selection doesn't matter the notes are still presented in the order they are in the notebook. Besides if I have more than 3 slides selecting them in "right order" wouldn't be convenient anyway. On the other hand reminders trick works great :)

As to one-note-presentation vs multi-notes-presentaion I guess it is about taste but still I am looking at Evernote as an application storing my notes (not primary tool for making presentations) and thus it is natural to me to use perspective "how can I show my notes" rather than "how I can turn my note in to presentation". Plus I am too lazy to put all these delimiters anyway when I can just show notes I already have :) But as I said this may be mater of taste and as long as reminders trick works I am fine ...

Thanks a lot for all hints :) !

• Level 5

I can report the same:

• The order of note selection is not the order of note presentation
  • The reminder trick works but I think using reminders setting the order for a presentation is not their purpose

The same order problem applies for merging notes. In the productive Web version the order of selection is the order of merging but not on the Mac.

For my earlier comment:

1. select the notes in order you want to present those and then press 'present' --> then notes are presented in the selected order

I apologize, this was changed and I forgot. I've now made a ticket to support this. Let's hope we get this in early next year!

Archived