RESOLVED: Notebook and tag contexts not sticking in search bar

This may very well be a self-inflicted quirk that is now plaguing my Windows desktop client.

I doubt this will necessarily give any insight into the matter... but If anyone cares to know a little bit of the background preceding my dilemma: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/78300-new-windows-releases-cannot-handle-a-fresh-en-cloud-sync-possible-solution/

When I click on any notebook (or tag context for that matter) in the left panel and then head on over to the search bar to enter my search phrase, the tag/ notebook context defaults to an "all notes" search: this can be seen in the search results in the note list, as well as the blue tag/ notebook cues in the search bar disappearing. 

I can, however, use the "Tag:" and "Notebook:" search syntax. That's my saving grace. Doable, but a pain in the behind. 

Has anyone ever encountered this anywhere in the forums (or on your desktop)? 

After the whole convoluted process I went through, it now does not matter which version/ release I have installed. The quirk I have persists - whether it is the latest release or a release from months back. 

I have repeatedly done a full uninstall using Revo Uninstaller - wiping clean all traces of files everywhere, both in the systems files and app data files. Perhaps there is some place I'm failing to look which Revo Uninstaller did not pick up and which I have not verified?

The only upside to this is that I'm getting dexterous at using the search syntax.  :huh:

There's that... and the fact that no release later than the v. 5.4 (from 7 months back) is allowing me to do a clean sync of all my notes from EN servers without repeatedly crashing.  

• Level 5*

AFAIK if you set the Revo level to 'advanced' (or whatever the max setting is called..) it will nuke anything that even looks as though it might be related to Evernote;  so I don't think your problem is down to a file remnant somewhere.   Sorry but I don't have any alternative suggestions though...

AFAIK if you set the Revo level to 'advanced' (or whatever the max setting is called..) it will nuke anything that even looks as though it might be related to Evernote;  so I don't think your problem is down to a file remnant somewhere.   Sorry but I don't have any alternative suggestions though...

Thanks Gaz, that's exactly what I did... Advanced... and checked absolutely everything to be nuked. The weird thing is that my Evernote client only started acting up when I started tinkering with some options on the Ctrl - help menu. Something I did. Then I uninstalled and re-installed a number of different versions... only then did the current problem appear. Did a clean install once again today... still have the same problem with notebook and tag contexts reverting to an "all-note" search. Whatever I've done is not limited to the latest release. It's the same with all versions I've tried so far. I can't undo whatever it was I did. I'm not even hopeful that the next release will help me.  :(

As a result of having to sync everything over again, my original problem is now solved: All of my notes (and attachments) are now indexed. I don't know if it's a fair trade, though.

• Level 5*

Frank,

When I click on a notebook in the left panel and go to the search bar the context is that notebook.  May not mean much since I am still on the 5.7.0 version, primarily and unfortunately based upon the feedback you have been providing on the current release.  Maybe I'll wait another week....

• Level 5*

Frank, FWIW, I observe the same behavior in EN Mac 6.0.2 running on Mavericks.

What I find really strange is that after the Search box is cleared, it returns to the Notebook filter.

When I click on any notebook (or tag context for that matter) in the left panel and then head on over to the search bar to enter my search phrase, the tag/ notebook context defaults to an "all notes" search: this can be seen in the search results in the note list, as well as the blue tag/ notebook cues in the search bar disappearing. 

I can, however, use the "Tag:" and "Notebook:" search syntax. That's my saving grace. Doable, but a pain in the behind. 

Has anyone ever encountered this anywhere in the forums (or on your desktop)? 

Frank,

When I click on a notebook in the left panel and go to the search bar the context is that notebook.  May not mean much since I am still on the 5.7.0 version, primarily and unfortunately based upon the feedback you have been providing on the current release.  Maybe I'll wait another week....

I suspect that the issues I am facing would be limited to a relatively small group of users.

Just as you say, when I click on a notebook (or tag) in the left panel and go to the search bar, the context is that notebook. All fine and well. BUT, the moment I enter any sort of search phrase, it kicks me out of whatever context I'm in and instead I find myself in the all notes context (the tag or notebook graphic disappears too). That's kind of weird if you can imagine it for a second. And to experience it is kind of frustrating. I have to then resort to the search syntax, which works. Not sure why that would be different. 

The interesting thing is that this behavior is not limited to the latest release. It has been stuck this way no matter what version I "roll back" to. I'm stumped. 

Frank, FWIW, I observe the same behavior in EN Mac 6.0.2 running on Mavericks.

What I find really strange is that after the Search box is cleared, it returns to the Notebook filter.

Yes... exactly! I failed to mention that part. Once you clear the search it goes back to the notebook (or tag) filter. OK... then I'll just sit tight. Believe it or not, that is a relief, because that means I didn't do something singularly unique to throw a spanner in the works. 

• Level 5*

When you say "head on over to the search bar", what do you mean?

If I select a notebook, and/or select one or more tags in the left panel, then click with the mouse in the search bar in the toolbar, or tab to the search bar, the selected context stays in place. I can type more search terms, or select from "Recent searches" in the dropdown (selecting a saved search replaces the current context, though).

This is the 5.7.2.5753 version.

When you say "head on over to the search bar", what do you mean?

If I select a notebook, and/or select one or more tags in the left panel, then click with the mouse in the search bar in the toolbar, or tab to the search bar, the selected context stays in place. I can type more search terms, or select from "Recent searches" in the dropdown (selecting a saved search replaces the current context, though).

This is the 5.7.2.5753 version.

By "head on over" I mean, as you said: "... click with the mouse in the search bar in the toolbar."

The selected context should stay in place when when one types in more search terms, as you say - but that's not happening. Weird, right? You have to see it to believe it.

And, what's more, this is happening independent of the version. It's not strictly a 5.7.2.5753 issue for me.

• Level 5*

Frank,

I may have found it.  Go to the magnifying drop down and change context there to search current context.  Then select a notebook on the left and I think it will stick.  You need to start in current context, maybe...

Frank,

I may have found it.  Go to the magnifying drop down and change context there to search current context.  Then select a notebook on the left and I think it will stick.  You need to start in current context, maybe...

You have no idea how happy I am Cal. I'll take you out for some açaí if you ever make it to Brazil.  ;)

And to think how many times I uninstalled and re-installed different versions... syncing everything from scratch. It was all a chasing after the wind. Why would one even need an option like that? On occasion, it has been useful in iOS... but then both options are visible at once. One of my most frustrating issues was not an issue at all!

Nevertheless, I must say that I finally got all my attachments indexed with doing a clean install. My Windows client and iOS clients all show identical search results/ counts with the OCRed comic strip database I created for myself. 

I learned that it was unnecessary to export that database containing thousands of notes by way of an ENEX file and then delete that entire notebook from the Evernote servers. I learned that it takes 10 times longer to upload than to download the exact same notes. I learned how to completely get rid of all traces of Evernote on my computer using Revo Uninstaller and the fact that one's data exists in the app data files, not the systems files... you know, all kinds of arbitrary stuff like that. Also, I learned that I have more of an appetite for cursing than is healthy. 

Either way, I was still unable to sync from Evernote servers without installing a previous release and then upgrading in-app to the latest release.

It sure is nice to be on the other side of this now.  :)

• Level 5*

You have no idea how happy I am Cal. I'll take you out for some açaí if you ever make it to Brazil.  ;)

Not sure what it is, but if I ever get to Brazil I will take you up on it.  Anything like Tequila?

Not sure what it is, but if I ever get to Brazil I will take you up on it.  Anything like Tequila?

Haha! You may be thinking of the famous Caipirinha, which is made with Cachaça, a distilled spirit made with sugarcane juice. You could also change it up a bit with tequila... but I think those are called Mexian Caipirinhas. 

Not everyone is into Caipirinhas, but everyone does like açai... which is made from açai berries. It's sort of like a healthy frozen purple fruit smoothie. Well, if you make it down here, I'll treat you to more than a smoothie, haha!

Hey Frank, here's a completely off topic tidbit.... But did you know there have been several pyramid schemes in Canada and the US swearing that things made acai berry cures pretty much everything? Hubby even had a boss agressively try, unsuccessfuly, to suck him into one several years ago. After, of course, it was after he got sucked into it.

Hey Frank, here's a completely off topic tidbit.... But did you know there have been several pyramid schemes in Canada and the US swearing that things made acai berry cures pretty much everything? Hubby even had a boss agressively try, unsuccessfuly, to suck him into one several years ago. After, of course, it was after he got sucked into it.

That wouldn't work here in Brazil... (we) just eat it because we like it.  ;) I'm sure there are many health benefits, just as there are to eating avocados and bananas. Did you know that Brazilians don't eat avocado on a sandwich, in salads, etc? They make a fruit shake called an "abacatada", which is mixed with condensed milk. Sort of like a sweet desert shake. 

By the way, how do I go about showing this thread as "resolved"... or pinning the "best answer" to the top of the thread?

• Level 5*

By the way, how do I go about showing this thread as "resolved"... or pinning the "best answer" to the top of the thread?

Not sure if non-Evernote types can nominate a best answer. I'd think that the original poster ought to be able to, but I don't know if you can.

Archived