Frank.dg 1,385 Posted November 29, 2014 Share Posted November 29, 2014 Recently, a little bit of tinkering to try and re-index my Evernote database on Windows desktop (via the Ctrl-Help menu) including an attempt to "Fix all notes" and "Recreate Full Text Search Index" from the same menu... landed me in a pile of poo poo. It was my intention to re-index quite a few images for OCR purposes that had not done so automatically after I had moved them to a new notebook months back. Upon hitting the "Fix all notes" option my Windows desktop became completely paralyzed. There was no way to reverse the effects. Until that point, My desktop client, even with 20,000+ notes, had worked like a well-oiled machine. Everything one could expect from Evernote (except not having automatically re-indexed my notes). No matter how many times I restarted the app, signed out or did a thorough uninstall with Revo Uninstaller and a subsequent reinstall - nothing brought the latest Windows release out of its catatonic state. Upon any attempt to re-sync from the EN cloud servers, my app would crash after having installed no more than 50 notes. There was no way to measure the progress of the few notes that managed to sync until I started the app up again after a crash. I figured that perhaps I was throwing too much at Evernote to sync all at once - so I went ahead and deleted a notebook (previously exported via an ENEX file for backup) containing 17,965 notes (only 2.1 GB) from the web client, which form a very specific but non-essential database. This left a relatively small number of the more important notes to sync. I tried a fresh install, followed by a sync. Still a no-go. Remember, now it has nothing to do with a corrupt local database on my machine - because EVERYTHING was removed with Revo Uninstaller before the install. Any trace whatsoever of Evernote was wiped out. We're simply looking at a fresh install from scratch, from the standpoint of someone downloading and installing the Windows client for the very first time. Also, we're looking at exactly 2,400 notes in total to sync from the EN servers - many of those simple text notes and clippings. A grand total of just under 3 GB. Nothing extreme by any standards. Here's what I did to get myself out of the dilemma:(you will want to do some research on backing up local notebooks before you attempt anything - that is, notebooks that are only stored locally on your machine)I went along to this site: http://www.oldapps.com/evernote.phpDownloaded myself the 220.127.116.1198 release from about 8 months back (you can grab a release from 7 years back if you want). The rationale behind this was to find recourse in something - anything that had worked before. Did a complete uninstall once again with Revo Uninstaller (30-day free trial)Installed the older release and signed in to my accountStarted the sync... all systems go! One can see the note count go up as they begin to populate your account. Imported the 2 GB ENEX file previously exportedSynced to the Evernote serversSynced again a few minutes later - with all 17,965 notes now indexed (all containing a comic strip image)Downloaded and installed the latest Windows release from within the desktop app itself. Tested the syncing of the latest release, including new web clippings clipped thereafter. No problem with the sync.Everything is running smoothly... only thing is I'm not going anywhere near that Ctrl-Help "hidden" menu again - at least not with the current release, and will definitely not choose a database-wide option.I've left out a number of other earlier failed attempts. The above is what worked to get me back to the previous working order of my Windows desktop client (latest release). I would try this as a last resort if you are experiencing similar problems while trying to sync, or with a frozen/ lagging account in general. The latest release (at least for me) seems to not be able to handle database-wide optimization/ syncing of any kind. Link to comment
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.