Evernote crashes (can't get it to open at all)

davidfclayton

Idea

I'm unable to open Evernote on my Macbook. I've had the account for years.  Updated to Yosemite a few weeks ago (now running 10.10.1) ... it's possible I haven't managed to open Evernote since then (not sure). I just tried downloading the 6.02 version directly from the Evernote site (I couldn't keep Evernote open long enough to use the in-app Update function). But Evernote still crashes when I try to open it. Kinda stuck here... everything else is running fine on my computer. 

8 replies to this idea

• Level 5

Which version was the one before you upgraded?

Was it the App Store version?

Did you remove the old App or did you just install the new over the old?

Did you remove you data before you updated?

My guess is that it is a conflict between residues of the old App (and possibly data) and the new one.

thanks, in response and in order:

- appears to have been 5.6.2

- the previous version would presumably have been from the App store originally (??). The one I just downloaded (6.02) was directly from the link on https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/78123-evernote-mac-v602-released/

- no I did not remove, just used the installer to overwrite the old version in my Applications folder

- no I did not remove any data.

So... what now??

Try opening Evernote from another account on your Mac. If it opens normally in the other account then the problem is in your regular logon account, possibly the Evernote database is damaged/corrupted or some other application in your regular account is interfering with it. Lots of applications have to be updated for full compatibility with Yosemite and that could be part of the problem.

• Level 5

- the previous version would presumably have been from the App store originally (??). The one I just downloaded (6.02) was directly from the link on https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/78123-evernote-mac-v602-released/

- no I did not remove, just used the installer to overwrite the old version in my Applications folder

So... what now??

OK, I think I was right about the conflicts between the old and new App. The second account trick would work but that means you would have to use another account for Evernote.

This would be the way I would takle the issue:

1. Do a backup of your database(s) especially when you have been using local notebooks. I am not sure whether the backup will be useable later but just in case. You will find the data at the following place: "/Users/<your user name>/Library/Application Support". My guess is that there you will find a number of directories starting with "Evernote" or "com.evernote"

2. Use an Uninstaller to remove Evernote. I use the free AppCleaner App. It will not just only remove the App but also related data. But because you installed the direct download App over the App Store version I assume that this will not remove everything.

3. To check this, start a terminal (use Spotlight and enter 'terminal' and enter)

4. The terminal will start in your user directory and to change into the  "Application Support" directory just enter "cd Library/Application Support" and press enter.

5. Check for Evernote directories by using "ls <enter>"

6. Remove existing directories completely like this: "rm -rf Evernote* com.evernote*"

7. Re-install version 6.0.2

8. The application should start now and download your data from the Evernote server to your Mac. This will take some time.

9. If you have used local notebooks the second account approach might be a good possibility. In such a test account you could install Evernote again (App Store version), use the backup and try to open the local notebooks. If this is successful you can export the notes from these notebooks as Enex and later import them in your 6.0.2 version.

I hope this helps but of course I can give no guarantee.

Good luck with it.

• Level 5*

@davidfclayton:  If you are not comfortable using the Mac Terminal (which can be dangerous if you don't know exactly what you are doing), then you should be able to completely remove and reinstall Evernote using this process:

See How to Completely Remove and Reinstall EN Mac 

So... what now??

Still no go!  I did as suggested above by @jmichael and @Stuhrer: used App Cleaner to delete ALL Evernote-related files on my macbook, went back and found another com.evernote file sitting in CoreServices and deleted that too. Downloaded 6.0.2 again from the Evernote web site. Opened it and it logged me in to the Evernote server, started downloading -- and it promptly crashed. 

I do have access to all my Evernote info via the web interface, and on my iPhone and iPad. But my Macbook is my main device. 

I would use Evernote a lot more except i don't trust it -- it's always been flaky for me, and here we are again...

• Level 5

Still no go!  I did as suggested above by @jmichael and @Stuhrer: used App Cleaner to delete ALL Evernote-related files on my macbook, went back and found another com.evernote file sitting in CoreServices and deleted that too. Downloaded 6.0.2 again from the Evernote web site. Opened it and it logged me in to the Evernote server, started downloading -- and it promptly crashed. 

I do have access to all my Evernote info via the web interface, and on my iPhone and iPad. But my Macbook is my main device. 

I would use Evernote a lot more except i don't trust it -- it's always been flaky for me, and here we are again...

I am sorry that our recommendations did not help and I understand your frustration. In that case you should get in contact with Evernote. Create a support ticket starting with 'BUG:'. I hope they will respond quickly.

Archived