Copy old link option has disappeared in Evernote 6

NorthUtsira

Idea

In Evernote 5

"copy note link" copied a link to the note online

However, if you held down ctrl (or alt on Macs I think), the menu would change to "copy old note link", which would be an internal link to the note on your system, via the evernote.app's URL scheme.  This was the old behaviour. 

This option has disappeared in Evernote 6.

My workflow is now broken.

Please bring it back. 

IMO, I don't even see the point of the default behaviour. Why, when I'm on my laptop computer, using the Evernote app, which I installed on my computer for a very good reason, would I want to try to access that note via the browser??? Who even uses the browser version of Evernote? Chromebook users?? Sorry for the rant, but it's very annoying when long-standing and critical features are stripped away for no reason   :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

10 replies to this idea

Just to add insult to injury, when I click through to the online browser, it redirects me back to the note in the app!! So now the note is open in two places. I need an internet connection, just for that?? What about when I'm offline? I cannot believe someone thought this was a good idea.

• Level 5*

I can confirm this BUG in EN Mac 6.0.2, just released yesterday.

I just made bug report in the main Ver 6.0.2 thread:

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/78123-evernote-mac-v602-released/?p=328266

I also don't understand why Evernote changed the default behavior from "classic" (internal) to global (external) note link.

IIn Evernote 5

"copy note link" copied a link to the note online

However, if you held down ctrl (or alt on Macs I think), the menu would change to "copy old note link", which would be an internal link to the note on your system, via the evernote.app's URL scheme.  This was the old behaviour. 

My workflow is now broken.

Please bring it back. 

IMO, I don't even see the point of the default behaviour. Why, when I'm on my laptop computer, using the Evernote app, which I installed on my computer for a very good reason, would I want to try to access that note via the browser??? Who even uses the browser version of Evernote? Chromebook users?? Sorry for the rant, but it's very annoying when long-standing and critical features are stripped away for no reason   :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

• Level 5

No it is still there: you just need to press the Option (Alt) key before right clicking the snippet. It then will show "copy classic note link" in the menu entry.

No it is still there: you just need to press the Option (Alt) key before right clicking the snippet. It then will show "copy classic note link" in the menu entry.

Holding the Option key before ctrl clicking the snippet is not working for me in the shiny new 6.0.3. Why they keep monkeying around with this feature is beyond me.

• Level 5*

Don't know what to say -- I'm running Ver 6.0.3 Direct Download and it works fine for me.

There's always this AppleScript solution:

If you always want the Classic link, you can hold down the OPTION key when doing the right-click, or you can use this AppleScript:

AppleScript to Copy EN Note Link (Classic) to Clipboard as RTF (Click-able link)

The benefit of the AppleScript is that it pastes the link as a hyperlink, with the visible text being the Note Title when pasting into another app.

I've employed the AppleScript solution since it's more easily executed using a keystroke for pasting into OmniFocus. Thanks for the input. The Option+Ctrl+Click seems to be working now too after restarting the Mac.

Cheers.

Archived