Unable to Nest Tags; Mac V6.0

I just upgraded to version 6 and am not sure that is the problem, but I am unable to nest existing tags beneath a newly created one. Existing tags can be nested with each other just fine. But, if I create a new top level tag and drag an existing tag on top of it, it just snaps back. Am I missing something?

Ken

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure, but you may need to manually sync (and even restart EN) after you have created a new Tag.

I have seen this type of behavior when I have created a new Tag while assigning it to a Note.

Thanks for this. I wish EN had Gmail's OCD baked into it. My Gmail is syncing constantly when I compose, because all I'm doing is typing text. Slowly. Which is what tagging is. (And the same goes for generating Note Links. Why I have to manually sync each and every time I create a Note just to get a 140-character hyperlink is beyond me.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Level 5*

I'm also unable to create nesting between tags on my Mac or via a browser.  Is this a bug?  Or a feature/design change?  Please bring nesting back!

I just tested this in EN Mac 6.0.6, and you can nest tags as you could in previous versions simply by drag-n-drop of a tag onto the parent tag in the Tags View panel.

However, you can't do this in the Left Sidebar like you used to could.

I'm also unable to create nesting between tags on my Mac or via a browser.  Is this a bug?  Or a feature/design change?  Please bring nesting back!

I just tested this in EN Mac 6.0.6, and you can nest tags as you could in previous versions simply by drag-n-drop of a tag onto the parent tag in the Tags View panel.

However, you can't do this in the Left Sidebar like you used to could.

You are right - thanks. It works with cmd + drag (after the tag has been synced).

But the tag structure doesn't show up on the IOS client so I am unsure as to whether it is in the process of being phased out or in. Reworking all my tags is a sizeable undertaking which I am reluctant to invest time in,  if the feature could disappear in the next version of Evernote. To further confuse the issue, the Windows Phone client does show nested tags.

I wish the devs were a little clearer regarding in which direction they are going with this feature.

• Level 5*

I didn't have to use the CMD key.  I just did a click down, hold, drag, and release the button on top of the parent tag.

The EN iOS clients have never displayed the Tags in their hierarchical arrangement -- all tags are displayed as if they did not have a parent.

Although Tags are presented as one of the top organizing tools, the Evernote designers continue to present Tag layouts and tools as if the user has less than, say, 100 tags, even in the desktop clients (EN Mac, EN Win).

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I am using Version 6.6 on Mac.  Can't figure out how to nest tags in the sidebar.  I can nest in Tag View with DragNDrop but it is very clumsy - there is no scrolling function so when you pick up a tag you must drop it within the screen.  I didn't see a function to nest tags specifically.  I started 3 months ago without any tagging plan or structure - now I have 100+ tags, for my 587 notes.  90% of my tags are linked to 3 notes or less, but on review, I find that I'm not consistent with the tags I use.  So, my tags don't seem to help me much.  I'm drawn to nesting tags in similar fashion to my old Windows folder days - just so I can find tags I've used for various topics.   Is there a slick way to build a tag structure - something like Chrome's Bookmark Manager?

Archived