Missing Private Notes

David33409

Idea

I upgraded to the latest version 6 of Evernote via the App Store. All of a sudden I've had so many issues I can't tell you how upset and disappointed I am with Evernote. Especially since they have not responded to a single support request. I wasn't able to view my notes so I did what others did to resolve the issue. I deleted the Evernote app and then installed from the Evernote web site. The good news is that I am able to now view my notes like before. The bad news is that my private notes are gone. All 3000+ of them. I sincerely hope there is a fix for this. 

7 replies to this idea

I upgraded to the latest version 6 of Evernote via the App Store. All of a sudden I've had so many issues I can't tell you how upset and disappointed I am with Evernote. Especially since they have not responded to a single support request. I wasn't able to view my notes so I did what others did to resolve the issue. I deleted the Evernote app and then installed from the Evernote web site. The good news is that I am able to now view my notes like before. The bad news is that my private notes are gone. All 3000+ of them. I sincerely hope there is a fix for this. 

If by "private" notes, you mean local/non-sync'd notebooks, then of course, since they are not sync'd to the EN servers, rebuilding from the EN servers will not restore those notebooks.  You would need to have a current backup of your local/Mac database.

• Level 5

Yes, as BnF suggested, you might need a backup. So, first question: 

Do you have a backup of your Evernote database?

If yes, how did you create it?

Next question: How did you perform the Evernote deletion and re-installation? Did you use a tool for the deletion?

I apologize for not updating the status on this topic. Yes by private I meant Local Notes. I only had HTML backups but they were useless since you can't import AND all of my encrypted data was gone. Yes I found out very quickly that the problem was due to the fact that the version in the App Store stores it's data in a different location from the download version. Why they do that is beyond me but they did it. I immediately deleted the downloaded app, pulled up time machine and restored the App Store version, then I exported all my notes to ENEX just in case. 

If by "private" notes, you mean local/non-sync'd notebooks, then of course, since they are not sync'd to the EN servers, rebuilding from the EN servers will not restore those notebooks.  You would need to have a current backup of your local/Mac database.

Yes I meant local/non-sync'd notes. I had incorrectly assumed that the App Store version and the download version would be using the same "local" data... I was wrong! Why they chose to do it that way is a mystery.

Yes, as BnF suggested, you might need a backup. So, first question: 

Do you have a backup of your Evernote database?

If yes, how did you create it?

Next question: How did you perform the Evernote deletion and re-installation? Did you use a tool for the deletion?

I only had a HTML backup of my notes. This is a problem due to inability to import and missing encrypted text. All I did was delete the App Store version form the Applications folder. Then downloaded and installed the version on their web site. Thank goodness I didn't mess with the actual data that the App Store version used. The actual "data" was still in place because the downloaded version used a completely different storage location so it left my original data in place (including my "local" notes). I used Time Machine to restore the App Store version to the Applications folder and I was then able to see my local notes in Evernote again. I then immediately Exported to ENEX just in case.

• Level 5

I had incorrectly assumed that the App Store version and the download version would be using the same "local" data... I was wrong! Why they chose to do it that way is a mystery.

The reason is that Apple has imposed certain Sandbox requirements on Apps for the App store.

Anyway, good that you found a solution. What about the slow behavior of Evernote. Has it improved?

Yes I meant local/non-sync'd notes. I had incorrectly assumed that the App Store version and the download version would be using the same "local" data... I was wrong! Why they chose to do it that way is a mystery.

Seems to be a lot of that (mystery) going around lately at Evernote...

I'm glad you exported to enex as that's the only "authentic" way to transfer notes, since it's Evernote format. 

Archived