Note links in web version?

Caladrio

Idea

Sorry if this is covered somewhere, but I've not been able to find it. I've recently switched, God help me, from using the (Windows) desktop version of Evernote at work to using the web version.  My *impression* is that there's no way to insert note links (not shared on the web, but links from one note in my account to another) in the web version, though I see that the note links I've inserted using the Windows, Mac, and iOS version all function on the web version.  Along the same lines, my impression is there's not way to insert or edit a hyperlink in the web version (say, for example, I wanted a link to my Google Calendar) though, again, the links I've set up in other versions of Evernote do function in the web version.

If anyone could tell me I'm wrong about these, I would be forever grateful!  *Is* there some way to insert and edit hyperlinks, and to insert (non-public) note links using the web version of Evernote? Also, can anybody tell me where I might have found this information?  Is there a list somewhere of which features which version has (or hasn't)?

Thanks, everyone!  

Michael

8 replies to this idea

• Level 5

It is possible but you need a little copy & paste. A note link has the following basic format:

Classic Link:

evernote:///view/<account id>/<shard-number>/<Note Id>/<Note Id>/ (the last "/" is important here!)

External Link:

https://www.evernote.com/shard/<shard-number>/nl/<account id>/<Note Id>

The <account id> and <shard-number> are always the same for your account. Just look at an existing note link of one of your notes to find out.

The <Note Id> of course is different for each and every note. When you select a note in the Web client (the productive 'old' one, not the Beta version!) you see the id in the URL of your note behind "n=". If you now put everything together you end up with a valid note link that you can put in a note. The Web client allows to create a link using the chain-like icon in the menu item with three dots in the toolbar.

In order to make it easier I put the first part that is always identical in a seperate note in my favourites. Then I copy & paste the identical part from there and the note id from the browser's address line into a temporary text in my note, copy the complete address from there, create the link with some more meaningful text and remove the temporary address.

Have fun!

Stuhrer, thanks so much for the generous/detailed reply. I will try this soon - really helpful stuff!

Michael

PS It sounds like it could be useful to set up an autocorrect or text expansion shortcut for the constant, account-identifying (i.e. not note-specific) part of one's links.

• Level 5

Stuhrer, thanks so much for the generous/detailed reply. I will try this soon - really helpful stuff!

Michael

PS It sounds like it could be useful to set up an autocorrect or text expansion shortcut for the constant, account-identifying (i.e. not note-specific) part of one's links.

You are welcome. I found it quite some time ago in this forum, I can't remember where, I think it was from GrumpyMonkey. I like it and use it quite often at my work place.

Let me know if you have problems with it and a good idea with text expansion. But I don't know if can find something like that under Linux (Redhat Enterprize 6.4) and Firefox. When I am on my Mac I prefer to use the built-in feature.

I appreciate the tips -- but links (internal and external) must be a regular feature of Evernote, regardless of the product version.

We live in a linked world. This is not Microsoft!

I am going to revert to the old version until this one catches up.

• Level 5

I appreciate the tips -- but links (internal and external) must be a regular feature of Evernote, regardless of the product version.

We live in a linked world. This is not Microsoft!

I am going to revert to the old version until this one catches up.

I think what you are referring to are links in general not note links. Only the 'old' productive Web client can attach links to any text. Using this feature I described the way to create internal and external links between notes. The new version only allows to enter a URL and when it is recognized as such it will turn it into a link but you cannot attach a link to any text (or picture).

I totally agree with you. If the new Web client cannot create links like the old one I cannot use it. 

I know this may be an older thread, but I frequently use Evernote on client locations when contracting which means I have to use the web version. This can be a real pain when creating note links.And while the above solution that Stuhrer offers works (thank you kindly, Stuhrer), it is still clunky. I've recently installed an incredible script that deserves mention that works flawlessly in the web version. It's called Evernote Web in-app note link. Basically it installs some javascript in your browser that reveals the internal evernote link. See the attached image. You'll have to install Greasemonkey or Tampermonkey depending on your browser. 

evernote_note_link.png

Hello, as a follow up to this thread.  The notelink feature was added a couple of months ago to the new client.  You can find this at the top of the note off of the " . . . " button.  There is an option there called "Copy notelink".  Currently this feature doesn't work on Chromebook or platforms without Flash, but this is be fixed shortly. 
Nancy

On 14.1.2016 at 1:08 AM, nanphan said:

Hello, as a follow up to this thread.  The notelink feature was added a couple of months ago to the new client.  You can find this at the top of the note off of the " . . . " button.  There is an option there called "Copy notelink".  Currently this feature doesn't work on Chromebook or platforms without Flash, but this is be fixed shortly. 
Nancy

This is very useful, thanks!

However, it would be even more useful if the "copy notelink" option was available in the note list so that you could get the note link without having to leave the note you are currently editing.  I suggest to add a "copy notelink" button next to the "j" label in the figure below:

Image result for evernote web interface

Archived