Beginner Help Please?

jsrnephdoc

I've just activated my Evernote Account on the advice of a partner in my Medical Practice, who tells me it's changed her life!

I have Evernote 6.0.1 installed on my Mac (running Yosemite). I've installed the Safari Evernote Web Clipper. When I log into my subscriber account for one of my medical journals (JASN, journal of the American Society of Nephrology), I have many options in Safari. One of them is to view PDFs of articles in a pane of the Safari Window. If I click the Menubar extension for the Evernote Web Clipper, a popup asks what I want to save and where. I choose "article" and the appropriate notebook.

Back in my Evernote client, all that shows up is the tile of the article, not the article itself. Is that all the clipper can do, or am I using it incorrectly?

Thanks so much,

Jim Robertson

If the browser displays a PDF you should see an option called PDF in the Clipper window. You can try that on this sample PDF URL: http://i.investopedia.com/inv/pdf/tutorials/stock_basics.pdf

If the site you are clipping from is a more complicated web application with built in PDF rendering engines then it may not be possible for the Web Clipper to clip the actual PDF which I assume is your goal?

Things to try:

- Try clipping a normal newspaper article such as http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/26/us/ferguson-missouri-violence.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=a-lede-package-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

- IF you can send a screenshot of the page you are trying to clip to me in a Private Message I can help troubleshoot further. Please grab the entire browser window including address bar if possible. 

If the browser displays a PDF you should see an option called PDF in the Clipper window. You can try that on this sample PDF URL: http://i.investopedia.com/inv/pdf/tutorials/stock_basics.pdf

If the site you are clipping from is a more complicated web application with built in PDF rendering engines then it may not be possible for the Web Clipper to clip the actual PDF which I assume is your goal?

Things to try:

- Try clipping a normal newspaper article such as http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/26/us/ferguson-missouri-violence.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=a-lede-package-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

- IF you can send a screenshot of the page you are trying to clip to me in a Private Message I can help troubleshoot further. Please grab the entire browser window including address bar if possible. 

Thanks for your very prompt response. I probably should have noted that I've not yet activated a premium subscription, but I don't think that affects what's retrieved by the Web Clipper. I'll send you two screenshots; the first shows the multilane Safari Window with the article in one pane. There is a link on the page that opens the article in a single window. When I use the web clipper on the article in the multilane web page, the popup shows the article's title and indicates that the article itself will be retrieved, but what shows up in Evernote is just the article title.

Strangely, if I use the Evernote Web Clipper on the full screen version of the article, what's retrieved is a link to the pdf's online file name, and what shows in the resulting "untitled note" in Evernote is the Adobe icon for a pdf along with the URL for the article, and if I try to open that in Evernote, I'm told the pdf file is damaged!

I can clip an entire webpage that contains multiple graphics, which tells me that the Clipper is installed as a Safari extension.

Thanks so much. You should see my screenshots as soon as I figure out how to send private messages (which I hope will take just a minute or two :D

• Level 5*

I've installed the Safari Evernote Web Clipper. When I log into my subscriber account for one of my medical journals (JASN, journal of the American Society of Nephrology), I have many options in Safari. One of them is to view PDFs of articles in a pane of the Safari Window. If I click the Menubar extension for the Evernote Web Clipper, a popup asks what I want to save and where. I choose "article" and the appropriate notebook.

Try the Chrome browser with EN Web Clipper -- it is much, much better, IMO.

Archived