EN 6.0 for Mac with dual screens

pcassady

Idea

I updated to EN6.0 via the App store today.  I've been unable to clip anything since.  At first I thought this was a problem with Mail.  Then I thought it was only happening on one screen.  But it's happening to any application, on either screen.  A reboot did not 'solve' this.  Anybody having this problem?

14 replies to this idea

• Level 5

I updated to EN6.0 via the App store today.  I've been unable to clip anything since.  At first I thought this was a problem with Mail.  Then I thought it was only happening on one screen.  But it's happening to any application, on either screen.  A reboot did not 'solve' this.  Anybody having this problem?

What do you mean with 'clip'? Please describe in more detail what you are trying to do.

• Level 5

Well, the web clipper has nothing to do with your Mac client or one/two screen. Your clip goes directly to your account on the Evernote server. As far as I know only on Windows the Web Clipper can clip to the desktop client locally.

Please investigate whether the clipped notes are in your account on the server using the Web client (go to evernote,com in your browser and sign in).

If the clips are there your desktop client has not yet downloaded these notes. This could be related to the recent problems with V6.0.

See here: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/76662-evernote-for-mac-v60-and-v601/page-10#entry325989 and possibly upgrade to V6.0.1 from the Evernote site!

And for a secure removal and re-installation from 6.0 to 6.0.1 read this: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/77444-how-to-completely-remove-and-reinstall-en-mac/

I've been clipping notes like this for months DIRECTLY TO THE DESKTOP CLIENT.  The clipped notes are not in my account on the server.  Further, this is a new issue since I installed v6.0 (now 6.0.1, which I have installed twice, once after completely removed the first installation).  I can only draw the conclusion that this is a bug.  

• Level 5

I've been clipping notes like this for months DIRECTLY TO THE DESKTOP CLIENT.  The clipped notes are not in my account on the server.  Further, this is a new issue since I installed v6.0 (now 6.0.1, which I have installed twice, once after completely removed the first installation).  I can only draw the conclusion that this is a bug.  

Sorry, I might be wrong and I did not say it is no bug but:

1) I could not select a local notebook for clipping. The notebook list in the Web clipper window only contains my public notebooks

2) When I open a page I want to clip, stop my internet connection, the Web clipper cannot clip. Why not, if it is clipping locally TO THE DESKTOP CLIENT?

3) I am using 6.0.1 and I have no problems clipping a selection from a web page.

Or are we talking about different things? My Web clipper window is not providing the option 'rectangle or window' but only 'Selection' if I have selected a part from the page before pressing the Elefant icon in the browser.

Oh, wait a minute, about what clipper are we talking here? Chrome, Safari, Firefoy? I am using Chrome!

Firefox (and I believe Internet Explorer) are the only browsers that allow extensions to directly access local storage, and therefore are the only browsers for which the Evernote Clipper will clip directly to the local Evernote application. 

If you are on any other browser than Firefox or IE, you will always only ever clip to the server first. 

Guys, I am talking about using the Web Clipper for Mail- not web pages (see my 1st post here).  But it doesn't matter what I try to clip, it still wants to "grab" my main desktop display, not the remote display.  And if I move whatever I'm trying to clip to the main display, the clip shows my desktop (that is, what's behind what I'm trying to clip).  And my point is - this didn't happen before I installed EN 6.0.

The web clipper doesn't work for the Apple Mail application... 

Are you referring to the screen capture function built into the Evernote Helper? (The elephant in the menu bar)

If so, this sounds like a bug. A workaround would be to use OS X's screenshot capabilities. 

cmd-shift-4 gives you crosshairs and allows you to capture any desired portion of the screen

cmd-shift-4 followed by spacebar allows you to capture whichever window the crosshairs were over at the time you pressed spacebar. 

You'd then have to dump these from your desktop to Evernote. 

Not as elegant, but it might help you in the meantime while waiting for a fix from Evernote. 

• Level 5

The web clipper doesn't work for the Apple Mail application... 

Are you referring to the screen capture function built into the Evernote Helper? (The elephant in the menu bar)

If so, this sounds like a bug. A workaround would be to use OS X's screenshot capabilities. 

cmd-shift-4 gives you crosshairs and allows you to capture any desired portion of the screen

cmd-shift-4 followed by spacebar allows you to capture whichever window the crosshairs were over at the time you pressed spacebar. 

You'd then have to dump these from your desktop to Evernote. 

Not as elegant, but it might help you in the meantime while waiting for a fix from Evernote.

I knew I was on the wrong track. I think you are right. The Evernote Helper has two icons for a 'rectangle or window' and it is indeed storing the screen shot locally in the inbox. Now we are talking. I just tested it on my MacBook Air and it worked with the Mail Application with the whole screen as well as with a rectangle. But I can imagine that on a dual screen system there could be a problem that I cannot reproduce here.

Hmmmm out of curiosity I tried to reproduce this. I moved Mail over to my secondary desktop and used the Helper to capture the mail window. Worked as expected on both the primary and secondary displays. 

I'm on a retina macbook pro and I have OS 10.10.1 and Evernote 6.0.1.  Secondary display connected by HDMI (no adaptors).

Perhaps this is something more complex related to some odd software/OS/Hardware interaction...More likely it's just a straight up bug. I feel like I might have seen some other rumblings about this on the forums recently. 

edit: splelling

• Level 5

I can make a small addition to this issue. I experienced in one case of my trials a strange result:

I had my Evernote client (6.0.1) open and on the same desktop (OS X 10.10.1) below Evernote there was the Chrome browser completely covered by Evernote. I then created a fullscreen screen shot with the Evernote Helper and the result was a screen shot with both windows visible on a picture double as high as my screen. Strange.

Archived