For Those in Favor of a 5.3.1 Rollback

User9900

I've created this thread for anyone who is in agreement with me that version 5.3.1 must be reinstated before I consider using Penultimate again. Whether this in in the form of a rollback or a separate app release such as Penultimate classic.

It s obvious that the brass at Evernote are not receptive to the pleas of the customers, and I refuse to support them until they are.

It s obvious that the brass at Evernote are not receptive to the pleas of the customers, and I refuse to support them until they are.

I think you started and ended your own rebellion with this very sentence. 

The official word from several Evernote staff, including the president of mobile products is that they are not going back. Their focus is going to be on polishing the sow's ear that is Version 6. 

While I am sympathetic to the issues that many of my fellow users are experiencing, I would say hoping for a roll-back is about as likely as hoping for another Elvis tour. 

In the announcement from Penultimate on the new release they say that they have not seen any data loss.  My experience so far is that I cannot take notes and have them stick.. Three times now I have tried to take notes on the new release and three times the app has closed after about 10 minutes and when I go back in all my new notes are gone. So as of right now the app is useless to me, since it's function is to take notes and I can't.  Can someone please help me. Up to a week and a half ago I really liked the app. I agree with the comments that we can't go back but at this point I can't go forward either. Please Help.

In the announcement from Penultimate on the new release they say that they have not seen any data loss.  My experience so far is that I cannot take notes and have them stick.. Three times now I have tried to take notes on the new release and three times the app has closed after about 10 minutes and when I go back in all my new notes are gone. So as of right now the app is useless to me, since it's function is to take notes and I can't.  Can someone please help me. Up to a week and a half ago I really liked the app. I agree with the comments that we can't go back but at this point I can't go forward either. Please Help.

Are the notes that seem to disappear present in Evernote when you look for them there (rather than looking at them through the penultimate app)?

If you are a premium subscriber, you might want to contact support about this issue. 

No they are not there.  But also I'm not a premium subscriber. 

Hmmm well you could always submit a support ticket and make sure to indicate that you have experienced data loss. While you will be at the end of a very, very long queue, you might get help as a free user given the nature of the problem (data loss). 

Hmmm well you could always submit a support ticket and make sure to indicate that you have experienced data loss. While you will be at the end of a very, very long queue, you might get help as a free user given the nature of the problem (data loss). 

I did (Premium). 18 emails exchanged, result: "Unfortunately, there's nothing I can to recover those specific notes that were unsynchronized."

I am getting more and more used to the idea that contacting support is a complete waste of time, no matter if you are free or premium.

None of the issues and bugs I reported this year are fixed.

I did (Premium). 18 emails exchanged, result: "Unfortunately, there's nothing I can to recover those specific notes that were unsynchronized."

I am getting more and more used to the idea that contacting support is a complete waste of time, no matter if you are free or premium.

In general I think you are right. 

Thanks Noteworthy.  I did get buy a premium subscription yesterday and sent in my problem.  No response yet.

• 2 weeks later...

This is one of the many reasons why I'm not using Penultimate any more. On my iPad 3rd gen, the new release crashes and loses my writing before PU even gets around to syncing with Evernote. No sync == data lost. I reported this right after the 11/13 release, and still have not received a response.

I went onto the online chat today. You need Evernote Premium to do this.  After checking on versions to make sure I was up to date he recommended deleting and re-installing Penultimate. Here are the steps. 

1) Delete Penultimate 2) Turn off your iPad (not just going to sleep but powering off my iPad) 3) Turn on your iPad, wait for it to boot up, then go to the app store and  download Penultimate 4) Sync up with Evernote.  If you need more details on this let me know and I can be more specific. 

I spent about 15 minutes testing Penultimate and it did not crash or loose data.  I will try it again in a meeting tomorrow and see how it goes.  

Yesterday there was a posting on going back to Penultimate 5. Could someone please re-post it. I have nothing but problems with #6 and it is totally not usable for me and my 2 partners. What where they thinking by automatically replacing a product hat worked for so many people. 

I would pay for the old version. this free version sucks and is a waste of time. What dummy thought it would be a good idea to scroll and write? I keep coming back to the forums hoping things change, but they still suck! Now I am forced to deal with Bamboo paper, because even though it sucks, it has turntable pages, which i like. Its like the downgraded version of the upgraded version penultimate should have made (if that makes sense). Just my two cents...still mad about it...

Bad luck, but I have no backup in iTunes

Here is my solution, I got the version 5 with following steps:

1) catch an iPad with iOS 6 or 7 (friend, brother, etc.)

2) download Penultimate, it's automatic version 5.3.1, because version 6 needs iOS 8!

3) connect iPad with shareware iBackup Bot for iTunes

4) box left side down: user application, tools

5) then you see the installed apps

6) archive Penultimate 5

7) delete penultimate 6 in iTunes and move version 5 in the iTunes folder with the apps

8) after refreshing iTunes you should see penultimate v5

9) ready for installing!!

GOOD LUCK!

To all users 

Penultimate V5.  was 45mb  new upgrade was 17mb -       This was never an update as old app was not bloated.

Evernote I say again you knew this was not really an update and if it was you were duplicitous in knowing in advance we were going to lose a huge amount of functionality necessary for the app to work as original and chose to not inform us. Sadly so

I appreciate you needed to rewrite oops sorry upgrade the v5. and would have migrated as all your users would have when V6 was READY for release.

Act smart for customers who love this app - give us the ability to roll back until the update is working

Allow us to have V5.  and V6 on our iPads simultaneously and many of us will give you positive feedback on issues needed to become functional and we can maintain our functionality viaV5.. and connectivity with the app and company we came to love

As Maxwell would say    GET Smart   and do not lose us - many of us are still on your side despite our HEAVY losses in time and functionality at this stage.

Forcing us to move due to silence and hoping it all goes away is not a workaround 

Communicating with us will keep us loyal to your endeavours.

If you updated to v6 on iPad and do not have an independent backup in your computer of the old v5 notebooks - well we are screwed as the format changed

I updated to V6 and realising my /error I backed up my iPad via iTunes and restored using the V5. app. Notebooks would not sync back into V5. app - Soooo restored and now left with v6 and multiple toilet roles

I tried to roll back as I had the old penultimate V5 on my computer without notebooks backed up as not all of us use evernote or iTunes 

So can achieve a clean version of v5. Penultimate -though my old notebooks are gone gone gone

Truly evernote even the update has not solved the issues and it remains for my and many others a non functional product - I need this for my work 

Please take the advice and roll back for us all and when V6 is ready we will all migrate

Biggest lesson is BACKUP INDEPENDENTLY YOUR data - had I done that I would still be on V% and waiting for a useable upgrade.

Help us we are all appealing to you - stop ignoring us we are in December now and still no sign of fixes

I agree with all these comments this app stinks

penultimate 6 is the worst app on the market, give us the version 5 back please...........

look at goodnotes the ratings on apple are very good and the ratings on Penultimate version 6 are so very bad, as it should be.

it's a fool who does not listen to customer feedback.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived