Help! I'm about to run out of space and

lauraon11

Idea

as i looked around the website it seems that i can't buy more storage. am i reading this right? i thought i could just buy additional space, so i began this project to scan in a lot of information. i tried to find out how to buy more space, but it looks like i can't !!??. i'm concerned about getting another account because then i wouldn't have everything together. i'm so desperate i'm going to use a smiley. :shock: - laura

12 replies to this idea

Currently, a Premium account is limited to 500MB of new content per month. This resets every 30 days after your subscription started, so you can upload 6GB in your first year (at 500MB per month).

We currently don't have a way to upload gigabytes of data all on the same day, although we're considering options for this in the future. (We also want to make sure that the clients continue to work smoothly even if you dump this much data into an account.)

Thanks

Dave,

i understand you all wanting to safeguard data, servers, etc., but i must be doing something wrong. i see how people use en for photos, like the recipe use, but when i scan in some magazine pages or product manuals with my scansnap, my usage skyrockets. i set my scanner to compress my images but since there's no size of the note displayed on my en desktop client i cant judge or experiment with how small it gets. Here's 2 questions:

1) do i get a smaller file if i take a photo from my iphone en app than if i just snap a photo w the phone and transfer from iphoto?

2) when i create a new notebook, it tells me that i can never change it to a sync'd notebook - so how do i change it the next month?

i've been using en since, i think 10/08 and was ready to take it to the next step and consolidate my info here. it looks like i can't do that now because you all don't have the capacity. i'm glad that you have the discipline not to grow too fast and risk the integrity and security of the cloud. - l

Check your scanning settings. I scan at 300 dpi for color pdf documents. I often scan a page from a catalog so I can toss the catalog. Those are all less than 3mb. For small manuals (IE an iPod docking station/speakers), they are all less than 6 MB. I recently downloaded a larger manual for a cordless phone/answering machine. It is 66 pages & less than 2 mb, so was probably created as a b/w or greyscale document.

2) when i create a new notebook, it tells me that i can never change it to a sync'd notebook - so how do i change it the next month?

You could store notes in a local notebook & then move them to a sync'd notebook when your cycle is reset.

Yes, I think that the scanner settings are key. If you scan in full color at the highest resolution, each page can take many megabytes. Most of this is wasted unless you are scanning photos and you really care about exact reproduction in the future. If you're just scanning something textual to read later, use "black and white" settings and you'll have a nice small PDF. If you really want to preserve color, then use a lower DPI.

Don't know it this will help the discussion. it seems that using En to scan large volumes of information exceeds its design (i.e. Notes - in whatever form)

Bulk information is better stored using other Cloud systems. I am currently using Dropbox (Large volume Cloud backup - access via most devices inc. iphone) and this has virtually no practical limitations. I'm finding using Dropbox and Evernote a really powerful combination.

Don't know it this will help the discussion. it seems that using En to scan large volumes of information exceeds its design (i.e. Notes - in whatever form)

Bulk information is better stored using other Cloud systems. I am currently using Dropbox (Large volume Cloud backup - access via most devices inc. iphone) and this has virtually no practical limitations. I'm finding using Dropbox and Evernote a really powerful combination.

I think it depends. I use Jungle Disk as my primary, web based backup. I use an encrypted "bucket" & keep archives. Any scans of sensitive data (normal bills, credit card statements, medical records, etc are stored on a Truecrypted drive & backed up to Jungle Disk. All other scans (IE newspaper articles (what's a newspaper??? :D ), scans from catalogs of things I may want to buy, pages from tech manuals that I refer to occasionally, cards or letters that I don't really want to have to keep but also sort of don't want to get rid of are stored the same way (encrypted disk, backed up to Jungle Disk) but also dropped into Evernote. (Once I scan those sentimental cards & letters, most get tossed - I don't have to store them but can easily access them to read, when I choose to!) We have property ~1800 miles from where we live. I load any maintenance records into EN b/c it's nice when we're there, if we realize something needs fixing, to be able to access any prior maintenance info to see who did the work/what they did/any warranty info. Plus, it's nice to know I have these things not only in Jungle Disk but EN as well. My motto is a girl can never be too rich, too thin or have too many backups. 8)

The one thing I don't use Evernote for is music & photos. I have huge collections of both & use other programs (that seem better suited to the purpose) to organize them. But they are also backed up to Jungle Disk. I have to admit I would probably upload them to EN just as another backup option but at many gigs for each, they would max out my upload allowance for the next few decades. ;-)

I am afraid my love affair with Evernote just ended.   Even though on a premium account I have no more space to make notebooks for the cases that I take on in my legal practice.  I can create and open local notes but they are as much use to me as a sponge hammer.

Actively looking around for other programmes that don't restrict me this way.

• Level 5*

I am afraid my love affair with Evernote just ended.   Even though on a premium account I have no more space to make notebooks for the cases that I take on in my legal practice.  I can create and open local notes but they are as much use to me as a sponge hammer.

Hi. Is it space on your hard drive that you lack, or is it the monthly upload limit? If the former, could you let us know how large your database is?

Hi. Is it space on your hard drive that you lack, or is it the monthly upload limit? If the former, could you let us know how large your database is?

Dastardly monthly upload limits

• Level 5*

Dastardly monthly upload limits

Oh. That is a little different than the topic of the thread. So, there are a few options. You could go the route that I suggest on my site, and be well under the free limit, but it will require some massaging of your data.

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=127

Alternatively, you could use the sponge hammer method (local notebooks) with a remote login. As a lawyer, I'm sure you have plenty of data that is best not put onto the cloud, and this will enable you to maintain security while using Evernote.

Or, you can purchase more upload amount separately from premium. 4GB per month (48 GB per year) is not too bad, in my opinion. Could you tell us more about your use case? Perhaps there is some tweaking that can be done.

Archived