Workarounds to include videos in Evernote snips?

As above - is there any way to do so? Would prefer the whole video to be downloaded to my local database, instead of just listing video links (which will most likely be outdated in years to come). 

thanks!

You'll need to download them yourself, and add them as attachments.

is there any simpler way to do this? besides the hassle, some sites (those which I paid a dear subscription for) hard-embed the videos and don't allow downloading of the videos. the worst part is that they don't have at least a transcript for me to store these nuggets of knowledge.. :(

• Level 5*

Evernote is not going to help you to download videos that you aren't entitled to download. There are other products that enable you to capture video streams, but Evernote isn't one of them.

Key phrase there...

is there any simpler way to do this? besides the hassle, some sites (those which I paid a dear subscription for) hard-embed the videos and don't allow downloading of the videos. the worst part is that they don't have at least a transcript for me to store these nuggets of knowledge.. :(

The fact that you may be paying a subscription to have access to some videos does not entitle you to make/keep copies of the video.  If the copyright owner does not allow the video to be downloaded, then...they don't want the video to be downloaded.

Try Pocket. It will allow you to access videos from within the app. You can also go crazy with tagging there.

If you're into transcripts and thus find yourself let down time and again, TED talks might be a good site for you. You are welcome to download videos, audio and transcripts. 

Key phrase there...

The fact that you may be paying a subscription to have access to some videos does not entitle you to make/keep copies of the video.  If the copyright owner does not allow the video to be downloaded, then...they don't want the video to be downloaded.

sorry - forgot to emphasize that was just a side point. the main point of my query was to see whether there's any way to save videos directly into a note on normal free sites first (e.g. business insider). 

Try Pocket. It will allow you to access videos from within the app. You can also go crazy with tagging there.

If you're into transcripts and thus find yourself let down time and again, TED talks might be a good site for you. You are welcome to download videos, audio and transcripts. 

i'm currently using Pocket as a workaround to save full-text articles. However, using it to save articles with videos also would defeat the purpose of having Evernote as a all-in-one note management solution.. unless you meant that the videos can eventually be saved into a note on Evernote.

Titus,

Have you even tried to drag and drop a video into a note? There is no workaround needed. That should answer your question.

Along with that, you need to be aware of a few restrictions pertaining to videos in Evernote which I wrote about elsewhere: 

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/77416-local-hard-drive-vs-web-cloud/#entry325834

Downloading videos is beyond the scope of this forum, although, occasionally you may get advice on a range of unrelated topics which do not infringe on copyright... So Pocket is a valid workaround to getting to see your videos (considering that Evernote is not the sum total of all apps). TED talks is a valid option for downloading videos and transcripts without stepping on any toes. 

Please do yourself a favor and follow up on the link provided. It is pretty thorough as to your options. However, as to your original post, the first line of this post should suffice: drag and drop (the easiest among a few options of getting a video into Evernote). It's exactly the same as getting any other file into Evernote. Maybe tinker around a bit and then come back and ask some more specific questions later...  ;) You've got to do at least a little of the work. 

The only way to avoid a WHOLE extra step of dragging and dropping into Evernote, would be to download whatever video directly to an Evernote import Folder. That will import to Evernote automatically on desktop. Once again, I encourage you to research that. Also keep in mind that "free" users have a 25 MB note capacity limit. If you're a premium user, you have a 100 MB note capacity.

There is no way to "clip" a video embedded in a web page to Evernote. Evernote is not a video download tool.

Titus,

Have you even tried to drag and drop a video into a note? There is no workaround needed. That should answer your question.

Along with that, you need to be aware of a few restrictions pertaining to videos in Evernote which I wrote about elsewhere: 

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/77416-local-hard-drive-vs-web-cloud/#entry325834

Downloading videos is beyond the scope of this forum, although, occasionally you may get advice on a range of unrelated topics which do not infringe on copyright... So Pocket is a valid workaround to getting to see your videos (considering that Evernote is not the sum total of all apps). TED talks is a valid option for downloading videos and transcripts without stepping on any toes. 

Please do yourself a favor and follow up on the link provided. It is pretty thorough as to your options. However, as to your original post, the first line of this post should suffice: drag and drop (the easiest among a few options of getting a video into Evernote). It's exactly the same as getting any other file into Evernote. Maybe tinker around a bit and then come back and ask some more specific questions later...  ;) You've got to do at least a little of the work. 

The only way to avoid a WHOLE extra step of dragging and dropping into Evernote, would be to download whatever video directly to an Evernote import Folder. That will import to Evernote automatically on desktop. Once again, I encourage you to research that. Also keep in mind that "free" users have a 25 MB note capacity limit. If you're a premium user, you have a 100 MB note capacity.

There is no way to "clip" a video embedded in a web page to Evernote. Evernote is not a video download tool.

Hi Frank,

Appreciate the details despite the allegation that as if I did not do any research before posting on the forum.

FWIW, dragging and dropping a video onto Evernote only gave me a hyperlink to the page with the embedded video. I tried it with a TED talk and desktop/web client and that's all it gave me. this would leave me with zilch when the sites go bust/down/vanish next time. 

Hi Frank,

Appreciate the details despite the allegation that as if I did not do any research before posting on the forum.

FWIW, dragging and dropping a video onto Evernote only gave me a hyperlink to the page with the embedded video. I tried it with a TED talk and desktop/web client and that's all it gave me. this would leave me with zilch when the sites go bust/down/vanish next time. 

Hey Titus...

by dragging and dropping a video into a note... what I mean is dragging the actual video into Evernote (the already downloaded video file sitting on your desktop or in some other folder). As I said, "There is no way to "clip" a video embedded in a web page to Evernote. Evernote is not a video download tool." This includes trying to drag and drop an embedded video directly from a web page. How on earth would that work? You even responded to @Jefito's post where he said: "You'll need to download them yourself, and add them as attachments." Being as much of a hassle as it is to you, that is the only way, Titus.

Basically, the pointers given here by a few forum members are as much as there exists. Going beyond that and suggesting places you could download free videos from, including transcripts... plus other alternatives for referencing those videos, goes above and beyond. Also, presenting alternatives, in essence, speaks to the inadequacy of Evernote storing all manner of video... and the inability to download them.

Would you be able to point out any note-taking app/ read it later app etc, that in fact offers you a downloading service all in one (apart from Pocket)? To follow up on that, here is what Pocket Premium offers:

"When you upgrade to Pocket Premium, your list becomes a permanent resource. Not just for the things you want to view later, but for the knowledge you want to refer to, forever. Premium’s new Permanent Library keeps a personal backup of all the articles and webpages you save, so they’re accessible even if the original page changes online."

I do know that Pocket allows for the offline viewing of downloaded articles, including videos...  you'd need to look into this. It seems to be at least one (legal) solution for if a particular site left you with "zilch" if it went "bust/down/vanished". 

Let me mention again that you can freely download videos from TED talks. They make it really easy for you. 

Archived