Three days of updates to a document have disappeared!

I have been working on document for three days, and saving continuously. Suddenly it has reverted to 11/21 version. How is this possible?

I'm guessing you've used multiple computers and/or devices.

It's very simple. The EN servers (IE web client) are the "source of all truths." Any changes made on one device need to be sync'd up to the EN servers before those changes are accessible from the web client or any other device/computer. If you make any changes with the web client, you are changing the EN servers directly, so no sync (up) is involved. Any changes made to the EN servers need to be sync'd down to any other computer/device before they are accessible from that device/computer.If you create/modify a note on a desktop/laptop & then shut down w/o it getting sync'd to the EN servers, that note will not show up on the web client or be sync'd down to any other devices/computers UNTIL, you then start up the desktop/laptop & have EN running long enough to do an auto sync or you force a sync. The best way around this is to manually sync the laptop/desktop if you're going to be using another computer/device before the next auto sync or are shutting that computer down/hibernating/etc. I don't know about all mobile clients, but AFAIK, the iPhone client only syncs when you first start the program or make a change/add a note. (It tells you it's sync'ing.) So if you make a change on a desktop but it's not sync'd to the EN servers yet, then start the iPhone client, the desktop changes will not sync down to the iPhone. If you remain in the iPhone client while the desktop sync's the changes up, you would need to manually sync the iPhone client to get the changes down to the iPhone.

Nope, one desktop computer throughout. But EN did an update sometime on 11/22 - and maybe it lost track of the open document. In which case, people should be warned. My confidence in EN just went to near zero. This document was never open on any other computer either. And an unsought overwrite by an open version on another computer would have had a current timestamp, but the older version. This has a timestamp of 11/21.

Installed desktop. This is an MSWord document, and i looked to see if it had auto-saved to MSWord, but since the doc is actually resident in EN, no luck there. I have 3000 notes, so I know my way around this a bit. Until someone tells me otherwise, I think the recent EN update (still pending on my other desktops) caused EN to lose track of the open doc. In which case, it's a serious bug. In future I will watch to see that the saved date is tracking my changes. Uggh - paranoia not in my plan for the day.

• Level 5*

If you opened an MSWord document from Evernote there would be a 'temporary' file holding changes to the original.  If you reopen MSWord it should offer you the option to recover the content of a file that was not properly saved.  If that's not available neither Evernote nor Word can track the changes,  which suggests that something really bad happened.  Not a 'bug' as such,  but an example of why its necessary to save files often and keep backups...

• Level 5*

Windows or Mac?  

If Windows, did you look in the attachments folder where your EN data is stored.  Sometimes backups are left there.

If Mac, there have been some posts re the new Mac version losing notes.  Don't know if any of them would be pertinent to your issue.

Archived